Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: '
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2004 at 09:26 AM

If I may interject.

Are the dogs anywhere near the sea?

About 10 years ago a very skinny , sickly mangy dog (long thick hair,chow mix?)wandered into our campo in Baja Norte. While discussion arose about who would dispatch the disease ridden dog and what method would be used one of the dog loving residents scooped the dog up and threw it in the ocean. He fed the dog and everyday for several weeks/months he threw the dog into the ocean and the dog (heretofore named Chucky) recovered from his mange and is still living happily ever after at beautiful Campo Lopez. Chucky hates the ocean and will NOT voluntarily enter it to this day!

You never know!?

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 4-15-2004 at 10:16 AM
any man who disdains kids and....

small pets can't be all bad...but hey, enough of this W.C. Fields humour!

Grover you are a pin head to be sure, but just to show that i am not a total hard ass that groups exclusively with that rocous gang at baja.net, i am going to copy this and send it to my pilot buddy who is a vet by profession and also flies for the Flying Sams. I'll post his reply. BTW - we are offering pet work, spay - neuter etc at out lopez clinic monthly too. where is the dog??

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2004 at 01:22 PM

If you are anywhere near La Paz there are several Excellent Vets. Ask Around.
Our Bud got Porvo in Loreto and we just got him back in time to save his Life,he also had heart Worm and survived.

I would suggest that you take the Advice of any Vet other than the one in the "Large New House in Loreto,story will follow later!

In addition to getting the Dog into the SAlt Water, I would give them a dish of Coffee with Milk,very much like you may Drink.

I have used Cloradane on the large Ants and have always followed the directions, I do not any reason not to trust the Vet.

If you are near Loreto, Look up Rodgio Amador Rodriguez,he is a Master herbs, leaves, etc, for Animals.

Grover. "It don't make me know Never Mind what your Cotton Pickin political Views are.

If I am to Judge People I do it on their Acts not their tongue!

By the wayI was in Lubbock last week. Having lots of Problems with getting a Saddle that is possession of the Texas Panhandle Museum in Canyon.
Looks like there is some Skulldugery goin on. Any Chance you might have a connection where I can get some Honest answers. I would greatly appreciate any Help. Please u2u me. thanks Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
El Camote
Senior Nomad

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 4-16-2004 at 09:40 AM
Poor nutrition in Baja dogs

Grover, I had to weigh in on our experience with our Baja mutt. 6 years ago a very random canine creation established residency at the family's Baja casa under construction. She was about 15 lbs., very young and looked like a creature penned by Dr. Seuss on acid. She had horrible sores and scaly, bald patches on a good portion of her small body.

Petless and childless at the time, the wife made a no-argument statement that we would take her home with us. We sought out the local vet where she (the dog not my wife) got a rabies shot, diagnosed her skin ailment as mange and gave us a kerosene-like liquid, if it wasn't straight kerosene, to put on her skin.

As soon as we got home, we took her to a local vet where her skin ailment was correctly diagnosed as caused simply by poor nutrition from scaveging. The kerosene was the worst thing to treat her with. He fitted her with the "cone of silence" so she couldn't lick and bite the sores. Just like EGL's Chucky, with high nutrition dog food, the sores quickly healed.

We've heard a veterinarian in Mexico isn't as well trained as his U.S. equivalent, having taken only a short vocational course for training, and therefore more prone to misdiagnosis and treatment errors. I'd be very cautious about using the Diesel bath treatment

Short story long, Julie is a healthy, happy, extremely mixed-breed, (who isn't?) valuable member of our family and we never miss an opportunity to encourage others to adopt a unfortunate Baja mutt. Good luck with the pups!
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2004 at 06:17 AM

Grover: It has been taken care of by another poster with many good contacts with the situtation;
Will do a story about it later.
Please try the coffee with Milk, it Works!!
skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2004 at 01:54 PM
Okay, while we are on the subject

of amimals in Baja......

I'm having a hard time deciding if I should bring my cat (no cracks out of you Capt. Mike about a dinner menu!)

He's about 22#s and holds his own with the Racoons that come nightly to have a free dinner on my deck.

I would leave him home, but, just got him back after a year of missing and I'm afraid that nobody takes care of him (well that is a FACT!)

Has anyone here dealt with a cat in Baja? I'm afraid to take him, and afraid to leave him.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2004 at 02:00 PM
sorry this took so long, just got back from

mulege, rec'd this from a vet.

Demodectic mange is very hard to treat as it causes immune suppression and lives deep in the hair follicles. Sarcoptic mange is easier to treat and is contagious to people and other animals. Ivermectin is available as injection or oral solution and paste. Dose is 2.75 mg/10 (ten) pounds orally daily for Demodex. If dog has heartworm infection can cause shock. Don't use in Collie or any herding dogs. Oral preparations may be available in livestock/feed stores as Equimectin, Eqvalen, Rotectin, Zimectrin etc. Need to carefully calculate dosages/weights.
Hope this helps.
See ya soon.

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2004 at 04:01 AM
Dogs in Loreto

Grover;
Some years ago, I was attending a Fiesta at the Once called "Presidente hotel" just south of Loreto. A couple from L.A had found a very poor,scrounge looking mixed 'whippet,Greyhound Type Pup on the Hwy near the Hotel,being Dog Lovers they had Adopted the Cur and taken it to their room for "Snacks'. After a few hours they had been "blown from their room by Gases"

iIwas setting alone,enjoying the'Fiesta' when I was approached by the couple,asking if I would like a Pup, I instanly fell in love with the Poor thing and carried her to my Pick up and to my small trailer in Loreto.
Result: "Juseo"
"Juseo was with us 6 years! Fastest Dog I have ever seen, could chase down a Rabbit easily.
She developed into a very lovely , long legged Dog.

Bad part follows.Warning to dog Lovers!!

The unattented Dogs in Loreto became a nusinance in Loreto so the Local doctor ordered that all strays be Killed.A Dog Hater was brought over from Constitution and proceeded to place small sacks of poisioned Weiners near the Houses in Loreto! Result that there were more than 250 dogs Killed in a few Days.!!

"Juseso" and i always took a Morning walk from Rancho Sonrisa to the "Penthouse" located North about 2 miles,sadly she had picked up one of the Sacks, and as we walked she suddenly dropped and Died in my Arms on that lonely road.
She is buried on the Southeast Corner of Rancho Sonrisa, at one time her grave Marked by a Large Whale Bone,,never to again to grace my Heart with her Love.
Skeet/Loreto
"In God I Trust"
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2004 at 05:51 AM
sure.....you can call me Ray, you can call me Jay

you can call me Skid.....but don't call me late for a good Cat taco dinner!!

sorry Debra, couldn't resist!

El Camote - good to hear from you! been busy being a dad i'll bet!

Julia

[*] posted on 4-19-2004 at 07:43 AM

Good Morning : You can buy Ivermectin injectable from any veterinary wholesale...but,I use www.kvvetsupply.com...
and make sure you buy only ivermectin and not a mix of ivermectin and other chemicals...
I have used as a topical dip:Amitraz..which is a dip for cattle and swine....I have had great luck when using it with dogs...
or,sulphur powder from the garden supply store might work....
you don't need a prescription for any of the above....

"My kingdom for a horse!"
Julia

[*] posted on 4-19-2004 at 08:02 AM
P.S.....................

one other thing...dosages should be based upon the chemical content of the drug...as the chemical is placed in a suspension format...I give 1ml of injectable ivermectin per 100 lbs of bodyweight...and this is with 1% ivermectin .The paste is 1.87% ivermectin (as I recall)...I give pour-on to my cattle(this won't work on dawgs,horses etc)...and I use the injectable orally(as do alot of horse-people with big herds) in my horses.In goats ,I give triple dosages and I use the injectable but give it orally... never use anything but ivermectin...it is frequently combined with other chemicals and sold for use in the anthelminic management of domestic animals....anf finally ,by stating that I give the injectable but use it orally...I am stating that I draw the injectable with a needle and syringe...I then remove the needle and open the horse's mouth and shoot the contects of the syringe into the horses mouth while massaging the neck to stimulate a swallowing reflex...the cheapest brand I have bought is "Double Impact"...I have never had any adverse reactions and I use about 500ml of it every six months on myriad animals...

Julia

[*] posted on 4-19-2004 at 08:11 AM
Ivermectin! No prescription required!Cheap!

Good Morning: Here is my favourite website for veterinary ordering...and,you DO NOT need a prescription for ordering ivermectin...(or amitraz)
the web address is:
www.kvvetsupply.com
just enter #20013 in the product search...and for under 29.00 bux you can(if you elect)inject every dawg in El Rosario x2...
you'll need an 18 g. needle for drawing the ivermectin solution...and 21 g. needles for injecting...and 5ml syringes for the injection itself...
and what a goodwill effort....
or...go to:
www.jefferslivestock.com and enter product # LE-F6 in the search...smae injectable as above for only 23.95;the amitraz is product # I6-T1..can't be sold to CA residents though...still,it is only 49.95;syring and needle combos such as #LM-CB are only.16 cents each.....

[Edited on 4-19-2004 by Julia]

[Edited on 4-19-2004 by Julia]

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2004 at 12:38 PM
Sheeze! Capt. Mike

I'm surprised you didn't supply a recipe! :)

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.