Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Flying With Tackle
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 4-13-2008 at 06:55 PM
Flying With Tackle

Long time watcher of the board, this is my first post. I have always driven before but in May I am flying down for the first time. We are flying to Cabo and renting a car to go to La Paz for some late May fishing. With the reports of the yellows I wish we there now, but we will have a great time. Anyway has anyone ever carried on thier reels? I have heard, but cannot confirm, that they cannot have line on them to pass through the TSA checks. The new baggage rules stink, just trying to figure out how to get rods, an ice chest and clothes down without spending a small fortune. I just want to say thanks, not only for the info I will receive but for all of the enjoyment of reading this board over the last couple of years.
Dave
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2008 at 08:24 PM

from TSA:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1...

Quote:
Tackle Equipment - Fishing equipment should be placed in your checked baggage. Some tackle equipment can be considered sharp and dangerous. Expensive reels or fragile tackle such as fly's should be packed in your carry-on baggage.

Reports on fishing websites recently confirm that there have been no problems in the US or at Cabo.

Disclaimer: in an email question several years ago a TSA official replied (to me) that individual screeners can prohibit anything, even items specifically listed by them as allowed.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2008 at 09:31 PM

Check the requirements of your specific carrier. Recently I was hit with an unexpected charge of $100 for my rod tube. They described it as over-size luggage (Delta). I had no choice b ut to pay the fee as I couldn't very well just leave them in the bed of my truck while I was gone. At last word Alaska still isn't charging this fee and in fact seem to encourage anglers by not even including tackle boxes and rod tubes as part of your luggage limit.

In Memory of E-57
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2008 at 09:29 AM

I would be surprised if they allowed you to bring hooks (hence flies) as carry on.

Alaska Airlines has a lot of experience with anglers as they are a major source of tourist dollars to alaska. They have nothing to do with security screening, though. I agree that they could be your best bet for a hassle free flight with angling equipment.
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 4-14-2008 at 10:28 AM

It's been about two years but I have indeed flown with reels in my carry on. However, they were without line of any kind. I know of anglers that had to remove reels with line from their carry on bag. Better check with TSA for the latest scoop to avoid hassles.
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2008 at 01:51 PM

Alaska Airlines is great. 2 bags up to 50 lbs each can be checked for free, and a rod tube is free (3rd checked item).

I have flown with a reel case maybe 30 times with line on the reels, no problem. Once the Alaska agent told me TSA would not allow it, but I asked to try, she said OK, and TSA had no problem with it.

Ice chest is counted as one bag checked. To bring your fish home, fish needs to be frozen. No ice or dry ice is allowed. After security checks it, you will need to have duct tape to seal it up.

In rare circumstances, you will need to show your fishing license upon return home when they see you have fish.
acadist
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2008 at 04:32 PM

Thanks everyone, I am on US Air and with the new 1 bag per person rules I am trying to figure how to get an ice chest tackle AND some clean t shirts. There are 5 of us and I just have ton convince the women they don't need half of thier closets.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2008 at 09:26 PM

For you its easy. Dump all of your stuff in the ice chest and when you get to La Paz fish with Dave Jones at Fishermans Fleet and he can set you up with the rods!

In Memory of E-57
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2008 at 10:43 AM

Orbitz.com just sent me an email saying that Delta Airlines passengers will be charged an additional $25 fee for a second checked bag.
:rolleyes:
acadist
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2008 at 05:19 PM

But I bought a new Avet for this trip. :yes:I used to live in Riverside so it was easy to get out, now I am in Denver and there are a lot less chances to use my gear. Original plan was to drive and not have to worry about it.
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
For you its easy. Dump all of your stuff in the ice chest and when you get to La Paz fish with Dave Jones at Fishermans Fleet and he can set you up with the rods!
Craveman

[*] posted on 4-17-2008 at 09:25 PM

We're going down for our 4th trip to the East Cape the first of May. What my wife and I do is pack all the tackle in our 2 checked bags, take 2 carry-ons and one 7' rod holder and one cooler as our other 2 checked bags. I see that on any future trips that there is an additional $25 each way for the second checked bag on US Airways.
2 weeks from today and I can hardly wait since it looks like a little more snow this weekend here in Utah.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2008 at 09:47 PM

I didn't mean to suggest to leave your reels at home. Bring them and just rent or borrow the rods.

In Memory of E-57
acadist
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2008 at 07:18 PM

Great idea!
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
I didn't mean to suggest to leave your reels at home. Bring them and just rent or borrow the rods.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.