Pages:  1    3  ..  6
Author: Subject: Hijacking
roundtuit
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wife's Job

[*] posted on 4-14-2008 at 08:29 AM
Hijacking

STRONG RUMOR 9:30 am
About one hour ago a plane was hijacked from the serinadad air strip. Two banditos made some pepole get off the plane and took it. flying west . As they left they set the car they came in on fire.

Never learned from a book-Only from mistakes, mine and yours
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2008 at 08:57 AM

For many years there was a military presence on the east side of the runway. The last couple of visits they have been gone.

Maybe bringing them back would be a deterrant to these activities?

This if true, is really bad news.

So sorry to the owners of the plane.
:(:fire::(
Ken
bajaboolie
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2008 at 09:09 AM

Terrible news. Did they take everyone off the plane or was the pilot still on board?

Bajaboolie
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2008 at 09:12 AM

I'm curious - these banditos are pilots? Where do they learn to fly? They can hijack any two-seater and be able to fly it? What's the general outcome of these stolen planes? Are they eventually found in rural airstrips and reported to the owners? Or stripped?
Cap
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2008 at 10:12 AM

This is very sad news indeed. There are a lot of very good and informally trained pilots in Mexico. Many former crop dusters etc. 206's (single engine 4-6 seat Cessna) have long been a target down there but things have gotten so bad I wouldn't be surprised to see other types of planes taken.
I hope everyone is alright and they deal with the culprits appropriately.
If there is anything I can do ride home etc) please let me know.
:no:
-cap

Fly low, land on roads.
Cap
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2008 at 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
I'm curious - these banditos are pilots? Where do they learn to fly? They can hijack any two-seater and be able to fly it? What's the general outcome of these stolen planes? Are they eventually found in rural airstrips and reported to the owners? Or stripped?

Mostly these planes are loaded with drugs and crashed into the desert north of the us border. Occaisionaly an owner will get one back but not likely.

Fly low, land on roads.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 4-14-2008 at 10:41 AM

it was Pat's 206.
more on the BBP now.
what a bunch of caca.
this is bad pub for Don now.
look for the garrison to return to El Gallito! does that mean i have to start checking in?? ;^)

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2008 at 12:18 PM

Looks like I left Mulege just in time.(Yesterday- Sun 13th) Latest report is that there were 3 adults and 2 children on board the Cessna 206. They had taxied back on the runway at the Serenidad ready for takeoff about 8am and a pickup blocked their way. They were ordered off the aircraft and six bandits boarded and took off to the west after torching the pickup.This is the latest from the Baja Bush Pilots.
Numerous stolen aircraft have been recovered on the mainland and are awaiting processing "for evidence" before supposed return to their owners, so there evidently is some effort being made. Sad situation all around.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 4-14-2008 at 05:14 PM

Yeah...sad...especially since they're our next door neighbors...5 guys with black hoods over their heads...broke the window out of the plane, said "this is a good day to die" as they pointed the gun at the pilots head and ushered everyone off the plane....they climbed aboard as they torched their vehicle on the runway...no evidence left behind...seems pretty professional to me...makes me a little uneasy here in paradise...bring back the military!!!!

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-14-2008 at 05:21 PM

This is very sad indeed... for the people directly harmed and for Don, who has to constantly battle one issue or another to maintain a business at beautiful Serenidad! Baja California Sur is not immune from drug crime against innocent tourists...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2008 at 05:51 PM

This is really ashame....Especially for the kids who were traveling in the plane. Lets all be thankfull that no one was kidnaped or injured. It could of been much worse. Really to bad for Don. ++C++
Lauriboats
Senior Nomad

Mood: Loving life in Baja

[*] posted on 4-14-2008 at 06:16 PM

This makes me sick.

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2008 at 06:28 PM

Curious if there is a remote kill-switch available for airplanes ?
It would have been something to let these guys start their takeoff run and have the engine killed by remote. Maybe even better if they were a few thousand feet in the air !?
mjf

[*] posted on 4-14-2008 at 06:33 PM

that's a brilliant idea????

Stick with tracking equipment which many of these planes have (or should).

This is not good for Don or Serenedad.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 4-14-2008 at 06:49 PM
FAA won't allow it

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Curious if there is a remote kill-switch available for airplanes ?
It would have been something to let these guys start their takeoff run and have the engine killed by remote. Maybe even better if they were a few thousand feet in the air !?

Sort of like the airline pilot last week that let off a round in the c-ckpit. Leads to more problems than it solves.

I flew my 210 into Serinadad a couple times 25 years ago, felt very comfortable doing so, can assure you that it would not cross my mind to do so today..
mjf

[*] posted on 4-14-2008 at 06:57 PM

wow, you're a brave soul. 6 armed banditos hijacking a plane at Mulege with a family inside and you would have no issues returning? I'll be keeping my bird north of the border for the time being....
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 4-14-2008 at 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner

I flew my 210 into Serinadad a couple times 25 years ago, felt very comfortable doing so, can assure you that it would not cross my mind to do so today..

Does that mean you would go back or you would not go back?

++Ken++
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2008 at 07:30 PM

mjf....I think you mis-read thebajarunner's comment. I read it to mean it would not cross his mind to do so (land there) today.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2008 at 07:30 PM

Looks to me that he said he would not consider going back under circumstances today.
mjf

[*] posted on 4-14-2008 at 08:45 PM

definite mis-read on my part, my sincere apologies for wasting everyone's time.

For those interested in staying appraised of the situation, there is a discussion group on BBP (Baja Bush pilots).

This hits way too close to home....
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.