Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: La Paz
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 4-19-2008 at 08:25 AM
La Paz

Where are some good places in La Paz to take kids snorkeling from the beach? Will have a rental car so moving around not a problem. Staying at La Concha, how is the beach there?

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 4-19-2008 at 08:42 AM

You won't find good snorkeling at the La Concha beach. Water is shallow, silty featureless bottom, limited visibility. It is my understanding there are a few decent snorkeling beaches on the way to Pichilingue, north of you. If you really want to show them some world-class snorkeling, spend a day down at Hotel Punta Pescadero. The reef right in front of the hotel is one of the better snorkeling spots I have ever seen, plus the hotel is very special. Buena suerte,
++Ken++
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2008 at 05:24 PM

You can catch a panga at Tecolote to take you over to Espritu Santo and swim with the sea lions.

In Memory of E-57
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 4-19-2008 at 06:19 PM

Good point Alan. A variation of that would be to arrange a snorkeling trip to Los Islotes with the dive shop that operates from the pier at La Concha. The kids (and the parents) would never forget snorkeling with the sea lions there.
++Ken++

[Edited on 4-20-2008 by Ken Bondy]
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2008 at 07:19 AM

Since we are talking kids, I'll join in. With limited swimming ability many kids are not comfortable jumping into deep water from a boat. Shore entry spots enable kids to be in shallow to deeper water according to their ability. Other than the sea lion encounter out at Los Islotes, the island diving experience can be duplicated pretty much from many areas along shore near La Paz. From Tecolote there are dirt roads that are passable with 2 wheel drive that lead to some great rocky points full of possibilities. Simply turn right at Tecolote and go a short distance to the rocky areas. You need to go inland around a hill, then down to the water. Shallow water has many many fish (sargeant majors, wrasses, damsels, etc). Of course, you can go into deeper water too to see puffer fish, trumpet fish, etc. And, a youngster can stand up in the shallow water if they wish. This is not to minimize the island diving experience, nor the great fun diving with the sea lions, but there are very nice alternatives.
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 4-20-2008 at 07:52 AM

The dive shop at La Concha can give you tips on places for water activities. Very nice people.

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2008 at 12:18 PM
Espiritu

It costs about $40 per person for a 5 hour trip around the island from Tecolote. My daughter says it was the best day of her life -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28BsRDAXouk
acadist
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2008 at 01:25 PM

:yes:Since we are talking kids, I'll join in. With limited swimming ability many kids are not comfortable jumping into deep water from a boat. Shore entry spots enable kids to be in shallow to deeper water according to their ability:yes:

Thanks for everyones' advice. They are younger and from the shore is the definite plan.

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2008 at 03:14 PM

You can find rocky areas adjacent to small beaches in the area I mentioned. Makes it easier to enter on the sandy beach, then swim/wade over to the rocks and deeper areas. The area is not calm if there is a strong norther blowing. Start early, enjoy the beach time, snorkel as you want. Have a good time. Have taken many a kid to this area to snorkel.
LOSARIPES
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2008 at 05:09 AM

My kids, wife and I did the Espiritu Santo Island tour. It was the best. We saw whales, dolphins, manta rays. We wet swimming with the sea lions in the islotes (north point). Stopped at a real incredible beautiful beach on the way back for beach snorkeling and lunch.
We just drove to el tecolote, signed up for the $45.00 (lunch included) trip and off we went. Bring your camera.

Aripes
God bless America
and Baja tambien
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2008 at 07:36 AM

Youngsters and oldsters will also enjoy Playa Balandra. Not a great snorkeling area but a very safe, fun place to play in shallow, warmer water. No waves or noticeable current. Take a cooler with drinks and snacks and sack out under a palapa while the kids wear themselves out. There are also a couple of restaurants on Playa Tecolote just another mile or so down the road.

Playa_Balandra_05_Jan_25,2007.JPG - 25kB

I think the world is run by C- students.
lingililingili
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2008 at 07:45 AM

bajadogs

Great video!

•Life is just one damned thing after another
acadist
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2009 at 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BMG
Youngsters and oldsters will also enjoy Playa Balandra. Not a great snorkeling area but a very safe, fun place to play in shallow, warmer water. No waves or noticeable current. Take a cooler with drinks and snacks and sack out under a palapa while the kids wear themselves out. There are also a couple of restaurants on Playa Tecolote just another mile or so down the road.

Funny,just dreaming about the next trip and stumbled on my old post. We went to this beach and had a blast! My wife and teenage daughter went yaking and me and the young boys (3,6) played and took the trout rods and caught and released little baitfish and collected shells. Afterwards to one of the mentioned resteraunts for a snack. Thanks for reminding me of that awesome Baja day with my family.
vseasport
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2009 at 07:25 PM

The Cortez club Club is one of the best dive shops in La Paz and based out of the La Concha. James Curtis is the owner and will bend over backward to send you in the right direction.
BajaNuts
Super Nomad

Mood: no worry, no hurry....it's all good!

[*] posted on 3-26-2009 at 10:34 PM

the sea lion trip to Espiritu is WONDERFUL! There are many operators who can take you out. We did the trip with other guests at the place we were staying, I remember the price being more like $110 per person, which included wet suits (it was end of Dec., cold water) no lunch. Check around at different operators.

Our 8-yr old was the only kid on the trip, had previous snorkeling experience so when we pulled up next to the National Geographic research ship (that was cool!) the kid was the first one off the boat.

Playa Balandra is a great shallow beach for little ones. Just ouside the sandbar is some basic snorkeling along the rocks. Nothing super, but fun and fairly safe. There is supposed to be some awesome snorkeling down the coast a ways, in the Cabo Pulmo area. That's a stretch for a day trip, but if the weather is right it might be worth checking out. We were in the area in Dec 2008 but the weather was bad, we didn't even get into the water.
BajaNuts
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2009 at 10:49 PM

I just read the post that posted while I was posting.............

Sounds like you have young ones not old enough for the sea lion trip.

Stay with Balandra and the other beaches on the point out of La Paz. If they are not comfortable and CAPABLE of snorkel swimming off a boat near an island, save your money for the next trip.

Our boy had already been on a catamaran trip and done much snorkeling in HI. Don't push them on a trip they are not ready for.

There are some fun beaches north of La Paz on the road to San Juan De La Costa also. Primitive ocean beaches, but worth a picnic trip....
and the La Ventana area should be clearing out by now, giving you some room down there.

send pics:yes::yes:
BajaNuts
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2009 at 10:54 PM

BTW- your post title of "la Paz" is a little vague. "places for kids to snorkel near La Paz" will help you get responses

Sorry, don't take it personal, I think there are many times that the title of the post should be more explicit but I think people don't realize they can type a short statement/question in the title area of the post.

ps- do want to see pics, HAVE FUN!!!
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2009 at 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by acadist

Funny,just dreaming about the next trip and stumbled on my old post. We went to this beach and had a blast! My wife and teenage daughter went yaking and me and the young boys (3,6) played and took the trout rods and caught and released little baitfish and collected shells. Afterwards to one of the mentioned resteraunts for a snack. Thanks for reminding me of that awesome Baja day with my family.

Glad to hear you all had fun.

I think the world is run by C- students.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.