Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: FM3 stamping headed North
aliibike
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2008 at 09:52 AM
FM3 stamping headed North

Hola,
I'm driving North next week and wondering where to get my FM3 stamped going North. Don't want to stop in Ensenada and wouldn't know how to do it in Tijuana. Is Guerero Negro an option?
Gracias
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2008 at 10:46 AM

I did it once at Guerrero Negro, though they said it wasn't necessary. That was a few years ago and I don't bother getting it stamped either direction when traveling by car anymore.

However, perhaps an option is to try and get an exit stamp at your local/nearest office a day or two before the trip north? Then if you do that, you should probably get a stamp when you return. We did that once at TJ and again the guy didn't seem to think it was necessary.
aliibike
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2008 at 10:51 AM

I usually skip it too, but this time my wife is driving back with me and she flew out. I'm going to try G Negro.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-21-2008 at 11:02 AM

I guess you could try Otay.....Cross into the US, park on the US side, walk over the footbridge and have it stamped at INM, then walk back through the US?????

aliibike
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2008 at 11:10 AM

Going back and forth like that sounds like my 3 unsuccessfull tries at getting a fishing license at the oficina de pesca in San Lucas! It's going to be G Negro or nothing for me. To bad this place makes things so hard to do it right.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-21-2008 at 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by aliibike
Going back and forth like that sounds like my 3 unsuccessfull tries at getting a fishing license at the oficina de pesca in San Lucas! It's going to be G Negro or nothing for me. To bad this place makes things so hard to do it right.

No problemo, the runaround is just the national past time.

osoflojo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2008 at 12:41 PM

15 years of FM-3's and never had in stamped northbound by car, only air. I was told once by La Migra it was not a requirement when traveling by car.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2008 at 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by osoflojo
15 years of FM-3's and never had in stamped northbound by car, only air. I was told once by La Migra it was not a requirement when traveling by car.

True but having it stamped as "Entered" from the plane trip down, they will want to see a "Exit" before you enter again. (and they'll look if by plane)

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2008 at 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou

True but having it stamped as "Entered" from the plane trip down, they will want to see a "Exit" before you enter again. (and they'll look if by plane)

I doubt it. I leave Loreto to fly to the states and back at least a couple of times a year, then drive back up and down. So my FM3 usually shows an Enter stamp last. They never have a problem with that at GN, the only place they check driving down. And sometimes I'll fly down after driving back, and get stamped at the airport even though my last stamp says Entered.

HOWEVER...there is a new immigration guy at the Loreto airport. The guy that's been there before was transfered, I hear. Problems. So who knows what the new guy will want? :lol:
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2008 at 05:03 PM

For what it's worth the following is from the agent/person who help me get my FM3.

"Your FM3 is a document of multiple entries, you do not have to stamp any time that you cross into Mexico, Only if you make a trip by plane or ship from Mexico or in Mexico have to be stamped. It is better do not stamp when you leave Mexico because FM3 is a document for living in the country. You do not have to do anything until the time of renewal. "

The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 4-21-2008 at 07:03 PM

Santiago's report makes the most sense and has the most utility. 20 years, no stamps for me, except upon renewal. Same thing for FM-2. Been all up and down the peninsula, fly and drive.

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
osoflojo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2008 at 05:37 AM

I was questioned once about no exit stamp, when I explained, it was no problem.
twogringos
Nomad

Mood: I feel more like I do now than I ever have before

[*] posted on 4-22-2008 at 02:16 PM
Try Tecate

We exited Tecate and got stamped out because we were flying from the US to the Yucatan. The office in Tecate is just west of the entrance to Mexico from the US (i.e., the old crossing). The agents seemed puzzled as to why we wanted the exit stamp, but did it. Entering Mexico mainland by air was very formal. You must fill out an FM-E, and keep one copy for exit. When you exit, you will out another FM-E and keep one copy for reentry. We had the exit stamp so I don't know what would happen without it. Driving back in to Baja, immigration in Tijuana just took the FM-E entry form, made an entry stamp in our FM3 and US passport and sent us on our way.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-22-2008 at 02:52 PM

Stamps on exit and entry on FM-2 have to agree when applying for inmigrado.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.