Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  8
Author: Subject: Different prices for non residents
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2008 at 10:43 AM
Different prices for non residents

Is it OK to charge tourists or non permanent residents different prices than those charged to local residents of Baja?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2008 at 11:07 AM

No, it's not OK anymore than stealing your property is OK just because you can afford to buy it and the thief can't.
What , specifically, are purchasing with the double price tag?
osoflojo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2008 at 11:44 AM

Happens all the time, everything from taxi rides to "locals night" at the cantina.
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2008 at 11:56 AM

Well of course it's okay, because we gringos are all so rich.

I thought everybody knew that.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2008 at 12:00 PM

Dennis,

Some recent discussion had my attention when it was explained locals get a cheaper price.

I do not agree with this practice. I am curious how others feel, and appreciate your response.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2008 at 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalera
Well of course it's okay, because we gringos are all so rich.

I thought everybody knew that.

"Rich and Stupid" as the saying would go if there was one.
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2008 at 12:07 PM

osoflojo and bajalera,

Thanks for your reply.

Others here use this practice. Would love for you to enlighten me on why.

Traveling Baja is not inexpensive, and most of us save to make our trips. I also think many of us bring items with us to give away to those less fortunate. So why are we charged more in many cases?
bajaretreat
Junior Nomad

Mood: Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-24-2008 at 12:10 PM

When I lived in Todos Santos a few years ago, my housekeeper (and good friend) would always go shopping at the markets and Segundas with me, thus getting me the better local prices....If ya can't beat 'em, go around 'em.

Never be afraid to do what\'s right especially if the well being of a person or animal is at stake. Society\'s punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.
zforbes
Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 4-24-2008 at 01:27 PM

This happens in the states as well. I live in an area that gets a lot of tourist traffic. Locals get discounted prices at a some restaurants and hotels/motels in the area (usually around 10%). When I have visitors, I register them mysef at a motel to take advantage of the local discount.

Same thing holds true up at Mammoth Lakes/Mountain. I would be surprised if this isn't a common practice in heavily touristed areas.

As a local, I don't have a problem with it here, and I expect it to be the case when I am the tourist. I consider it a part of the overall expense of the trip. Right? Wrong? Probably depends if you are the tourist or the homey.

\"You cannot prevent the birds of sadness from passing over your head, but you can prevent them from nesting in your hair.\"
Swedish proverb
oldlady
Banned

[*] posted on 4-24-2008 at 01:38 PM

My experience has been that in any country where prices are not published, as in grocery store or on a menu, those prices can vary by whatever criteria the seller chooses (good ol' capitalism, charge what you think you can get). As a buyer I have two options; offer a lower price (which has almost always worked in Mexican shops) or not buy the item and look for it elsehwere.
Is it okay? Sure, anyone ought to be able to sell whatever they want for whatever they want.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2008 at 01:43 PM

Are Mexicans charged more for services/supplies in the U.S. of A.? I think not.

Especially disturbing when the practice is flaunted. Rice & Beans in San Ignacio actually had seperate prices printed on menus, in pesos (espanol)and in dollars(English). Asked the owner,"oops, must be a misprint, yeah right!

The dollar prices were higher for the smae items. If Roberto chooses to give local Mexicanos a discount, go right ahead, but do it with a tad more discression..I no longer stop there.

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 4-24-2008 at 01:47 PM
Nothing New.

Back when I was 11 (1956), We were in a Tijuana restaurant with a family friend who lived part-time in Ensenada. After the waiter gave us the "Gringo" English menus, the friend asked for the Mexican menu and pointed out to us that virtually everything was cheaper on the Local menu.

Caveat Emptor.

It used to be a standing joke that the Liquor stores in San Felipe would overcharge you if you didn't verify the price first. I've seen it happen many times.

You either learn the lesson or keep being overcharged.

Darwin.
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2008 at 01:59 PM

Thanks for all of your responses.

I would like to hear from those who provide any type of service in Baja. Motel, resort, restaurant, charter boats, etc.

A different topic, but I was once given a 7 percent discount for using my Visa credit card. With no reservations, I asked about room availability at a Loreto motel. I offered cash when told the price, and they told me I would get a discount if I used Visa!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 4-24-2008 at 02:14 PM
Visa Discounts ?

I would run like Heck from any business that offered me a discount for using a Credit Card as opposed to CASH.

Since the vendor PAYS a transaction fee to the Credit Card company, there is only one reason why they'd prefer to have your CC info and we know what that is.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2008 at 02:22 PM
Pinch the Gringo!

Funny you noticed! Me and a couple buddies were at a local taqueria in Mulege a while back. After rreviewing the menu my friend ordered off the English version.

Man was he surprised when he went to pay the bill. While waiting to pay he picked up the Spanish language menu. He went berzerk and had the whole place watching him.
I forgot about the old switcheroo. I usheredhim out as he refused to pay the inflated price. I think it amounted to 5 pesos or so but it was the principal that mattered.
Well maybe not, he was a Wall Street accountant before he dropped out.:lol:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-24-2008 at 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sd

A different topic, but I was once given a 7 percent discount for using my Visa credit card. With no reservations, I asked about room availability at a Loreto motel. I offered cash when told the price, and they told me I would get a discount if I used Visa!

Points to 3 possibilities:

1). They have an "IN" with Visa and get a usage reward. (Highly unlikely, since they usually charge a transaction fee of around 3 %)
2). They like your card information for future"shady" dealings.
or
3). They ,like the government, does not trust anyone with "their" money, like employees. ( most likely ):biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 4-24-2008 by vandenberg]

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2008 at 02:34 PM
Discount vs. Premium

Residency has it's priviledges -- it's done this way in Hawaii too.

Tell them you're ''local'' and get discounted. I like it.
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2008 at 02:37 PM

vandenberg -

I feel your #3 might be the reason. I was at a well known place, and had stayed there before.

I am an aware traveler, and of course I was concerned they would use my credit card for other purposes. I even approached them on that subject when told about the discount. They could not explain to me how they would benefit, but I went ahead and used the card with no problems.

Thanks
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2008 at 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

Tell them you're ''local'' and get discounted. I like it.

Maybe tell them you're "loco" and get it free.:?::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2008 at 03:03 PM

I have to agree with Old Lady, If you want a cheaper price make an offer and you will more than likely get the Mexican price.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
 Pages:  1    3  ..  8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.