Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: FJ Cruiser?
tattuna
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2008 at 09:22 AM
FJ Cruiser?

Do any of you own one of these? Is it a good off road suv for Baja?

I'm considering buying one soon. Sounds like the major issues are the blind spots, small back seats, and that it requires premium gas.

I'd greatly appreciate any owner reviews to help me with my decision. I currently drive a 2-wd F-150. It handles most roads fine, but I'd like to see a lot more of Baja than it allows me to.
Baja12valve
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2008 at 09:33 AM

A friend of mine has one and, if I remember correctly, he mentioned that it has a really small gas tank and driving range. You might want to look into that aspect.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2008 at 10:00 AM

The standard tank is 19 gallons.
The problem is that they only get 15 - 20 mpg !!
Worst case is about 270 miles per tank.
Check your routes and decide if you need to carry a spare can.

Also, I'd carry some octane booster in case you can't find premium but it's pretty readily available.

They're just pretty small for hauling much gear without a roof basket and you will feel pretty "little" in the Toy compared to your Ford !!

But then, personally, I drive an F350 4x4 crew turbo diesel. :biggrin: :lol:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-26-2008 at 10:03 AM

Another option...?

I have the '05 4 door Tacoma... it is totally comfy and roomy for a truck...

5 speed automatic, 4WD, 4.0 V-6, Regular gas, tons of power.

I did beef up the REAR suspension (at Off Road Warehouse) as the back would bottom out on bumps with a load... Upgraded the Bilstein shocks and added adjustable air bags... Works great now!

The truck is perfect for all roads in Baja! I have had it for 2 1/2 years and put on 73,000 miles, so far.

Oh, the tank hold 20 gallons and I get 16 mpg daily driving and up to 19 mpg on the highway.

[Edited on 4-26-2008 by David K]

RoyMSM 008r.JPG - 38kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2008 at 10:06 AM

Looking at the web site the specs say a 19 gal gas tank. Looks to be the same 4L engine as the Tacoma which runs on regular gas. I didn't see anything about using premium gas, maybe I missed it. Milage not great but not bad at 16/20 mpg. A tower co. that does work for me has one and they like it. I haven't driven it but in looking it over my complaint was the windows seem small, including the winshield. And their are blind spots.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2008 at 03:51 PM

350 4X4 Turbo Diesel Power Yeah!!!!! Ford Tough..................

"Toy"ota, won't argue their dependability, but still a "toy".....

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
XRPhlang
Nomad

Mood: Taco me.

[*] posted on 4-26-2008 at 04:34 PM

I hope this doesn't stray off topic, but does anybody know of a good Baja vehicle that gets upwards of 25 mpg? I like Tacomas but even with the 2x4, 4 cylinder gas milage is not much better than 20 mpg.
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 4-26-2008 at 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capt. George

How about one of each?

SuperDutyandToyota.JPG - 47kB

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
JamesBC

[*] posted on 4-26-2008 at 05:26 PM

I have been looking at the FJ for my wife. (I drive a Tacoma access cab, 4x4). We have test driven several. Great for a stock off road rig. Blind spots are an issue - I haven't heard about the gas either. I saw one come over the road from BOLA to Mision San Borja last month, pulling a trailer loaded with quads, no less. It was slow, but it did fine. If you know that road, you know that while it isn't too technical, it isn't a cakewalk either. I'd say it depends on what you want. I'm with David for the Tacoma being best for Baja, but if you don't want to do a truck - the FJ is right up there. The thing is built like a tank (hence the lower mileage), and its a Toyota - which for some of us is a good thing!
The main drawback for me is I'd really like to see them come out with a version with full size back seats that lay flat when folded down.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-26-2008 at 07:54 PM

Is the FJ wider than a Tacoma???

TacoFeliz
Nomad

Mood: Exploratory

[*] posted on 4-26-2008 at 11:29 PM

Mrs. TacoFeliz has one. Built like a tank, very capable with bulletproof drivetrain and locking rear diff. Highway mileage is 21-22, drops a tad off the pavement. Limited rear seat room (not for full grown adult type people) Specs call for 91 octane gas but the electronics adjust fine to 86, just a tad less power. Get some real tires, the ones supplied by Toyota are just to get them off the dealership lot. Also, OEM roof rack is just OK, better aftermarket ones exist all over the place (good friend Stan has one from GOBI that is excellent, all stainless, powdercoated with excellent mounting hardware and lower profile than the Toyota one).

It's kind of an updated FJ-40 with lots of creature comforts. Still trucklike and tough, still kind of small to camp out of. We take our 4x4 Tundra with poptop camper on long backcountry runs, but either one will get us down the trail and back. Spend some time inside one and see how you like the windshield/pillars/sightlines. Some folks don't like the blind spots in the back. We've done multiple long trips with it and wife commutes 75 miles round trip daily to work, still loves it after two years. We got hers the first month they were available.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-27-2008 at 05:56 AM

"Mrs. TacoFeliz has one..."

reading "between the lines"...:light::light:

does this mean it's a "girls car"???:lol::lol:

Toyota%20FJ%20Cruiser%20F34%20Blog.jpg - 47kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 4-27-2008 at 07:38 AM

We had a 1981 FJ Toyota Landcruiser, and It totally rocked for baja travel, fit all 6 of us, and our gear, and two dogs. Really can't be stopped by anything!

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 4-27-2008 at 10:10 AM

You also might want to check out the Nissan X-Terra "off road" model. I have had my 2007 for a year now, and it is impressive after you upgrade the inadaquate suspension. It has an electric rear locker, bilstein shocks, and is VERY capable and comfy. It too gets 16 to 21 MPG (auto tranny).

Barry
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2008 at 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capt. George

That 350 is good for hauling your house down the road but not too good for exploring the dirt trails I usually get on and with diesel at $4.50 a gal or higher it doesn't make for a good daily driver.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-27-2008 at 11:14 AM

:cool:My wife Jana and I took a three week cruise to Cabo from Big Bear Lake, Ca. this past Thanksgiving in her 07 FJ. We got about 21mpg. We drove about 3000 paved miles and about 800 off-road miles, and never were in any danger of running out of gas. The longest off-road run was 120 miles one way. And the longest gas run on one tank was from El Rosario to Guerrero Negro, where we were very close to running out because of severe head winds. We just went where the road took us and let's-see-what-we-find-when-we-get-there. The fishing camps were out of this world, and we ate so much free lobster that after 6 days of it we got sick of it. The bays we thought were one-of-a-kind, until we got to the next one. Met dozens of Surfers and fellow kayakers. The FJ was the best off-road vehicle we ever took! We had previously driven in a variety of different jeeps. The ride was like riding on a cloud. The FJ has two speeds that one can drive over rough terrain...either under 15MPH or over 45mph. We chose the 45-60MPH route and were extremely satisfied. We stayed where we ended up if the day was running too long. The rest of the time we hoped we would end up at a motel of some kind. Basic accomodations (bed & bath) cost $25-$35 where available. We would highly recommend the FJ to any one considering purchasing one. We traded in a Subaru Outback Eddie Bauer on the FJ (we also took it on many thousands of miles in Baja). The Subaru had softer seats which tired us out at the end of the day. The FJ's firmer seats were more suited to longer travel in Baja. This is the first Baja trip that we took that we felt totally refreshed when we returned home. We did not feel like we needed to take a few days off just to recuperate from the trip.
I would like to attach some photos of the trip but don't know how to do it. I can privately send you some if you want. I would also like to attach a photo under my name, but don't know how to that either

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2008 at 11:25 AM
PIX Posting

Picture must be under 50K. Click on the reply button and add text and to attach the pix click on the browse button at the bottom above the post reply button.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 4-27-2008 at 12:38 PM

Hey, if it gets you off the pavement, doesn't get you stuck, and doesn't suck, then go for it.

Tom West of JustRuns 4WD club in San Diego bought one after unloading his Jeep Cherokee,
and he is much happier. I have read in 4WOR Magazine that the clamshell doors rattle when
off road.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 4-27-2008 at 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
What year are you looking at?

They're discussing the FJ Cruiser. The newbie 4WD SUV that's based off of the Toyota Tacoma.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-27-2008 at 02:52 PM
FJ in trouble

Drove over a concealed mine shaft adit

From a fellow desert explorer:

I made a wide turn, just a few feet from the trail, when all of a sudden, the ground started to collapse. I had driven over a long forgotten mineshaft, which had been covered up with wood, and then dirt, so it was completely hidden. It seemed to happen in slo-mo. The front started to sink, I tried to shift into reverse, but just as I hit the gas, the rear lifted up, the front shot forward, then it tipped upside down. At first, I thought I had rolled into a ditch, but then I noticed the gapping black hole I was staring down.

My friends bolted out the passenger door, scared out of their wits, but I waited, worried too much movement was going to make the FJ go all the way in. When my friends had gotten out, I then unbuckled my seat belt, walked on my dash, and exited. I stepped out of the FJ, onto the front passenger tire, then to safety. Only later did I discover that that very wheel was the only thing that kept us from falling 60ft.

The next morning, we called the tow truck, two actually came out. Two winch lines went on the rear, and the flipped it right side up. Then one guy lowered himself into the shaft, and th hooked up a third line to the front end, and winched the FJ out. Thanks to Paul and Sons towing in Ridgecrest for saving my FJ.

[Edited on 4-27-2008 by bajaguy]

FJ-1 (Custom).jpg - 33kB

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.