Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: New recipes!!!
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2008 at 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Regarding the Hot Dogs -- there's a stand in Camalu' close to the bottom of the hill coming into town, generally across from the Pemex. Only open in the evening. I rarely have the right timing, but when I do, I STOP. Anyone else eaten there?

No, but I'm going to look for it in June.

Has anyone eaten at "El Capi" in San Q?

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2008 at 11:26 AM

I tried the stuffed bacon wrapped jalapenos. My o my...incredible!
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2008 at 04:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

The word is almuerzo -- FYI. Literally "in the middle".

Right on. You don't see the word around here as much as the Spanglish version, Lonche. [ I guess it's Spanglish ]

And I'm only an Intermediate I, while you're an Intermediate II. :lol::lol:

BTW, isn't the original meaning of almuerzo a snack between lunch and dinner?

Historically, at least in the capital, almuerzo was between desayuno (generally just coffee and bread or tortilla) and comida, and was more like breakfast than lunch; the main meal of the day was called comida, and there was another meal, the name of which I cannot remember, served between comida and cena!!!!
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-9-2008 at 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elizabeth
Historically, at least in the capital, almuerzo was between desayuno (generally just coffee and bread or tortilla) and comida, and was more like breakfast than lunch; the main meal of the day was called comida, and there was another meal, the name of which I cannot remember, served between comida and cena!!!!

There are many different usages, for sure. I can tell you that kids that return home from school have a snack -- referred to as almuerzo.

I wish FDT, Oso (or his maestra) and other fluent speakers would chime in here. I would really like to know.
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 5-9-2008 at 05:34 PM

In High School in Palos Verdes, my Spanish class taught us dialogues we had to memorize. One was

"Que hay del almuerzo?"
"Seguro que albondigas!"

It was translated as lunch. We were not taught verb conjugation or sentence structure....we just had to memorize inane conversations...I'm still waiting for an opportunity to say "Seguro que albondigas!" :lol:

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2008 at 10:16 PM
Classmates maybe?

Quote:
Originally posted by jeans
In High School in Palos Verdes, my Spanish class taught us dialogues we had to memorize. :lol:

PV High, Miraleste or Rolling Hills High??

I went to the first two. My Spanish teachers were Sr. Ambatielos and Sr. Cruz.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 5-12-2008 at 08:30 AM

One more recipe. Tried this on the other day and it's delicious and EASY.

Chipotle-Grilled Pork Tacos

¼ c mayo
1 8 oz can pineapple chunks in juice, drained and chopped, keep the juice (I used fresh pineapple and squeezed some juice of it)

3 T minced cilantro
3 garlic cloves, minced (I use the frozen TJ garlic)
1 ½ T chopped chipotle in adobo (or to taste)
1 8 oz bag cole slaw mix (I just chopped up some cabbage)
Salt to taste
2 pork tenderloins, sliced in half lengthwise
Corn tortillas

Whisk together the mayo, pineapple juice, cilantro, garlic and chipotle. Set aside ¼ cup of this mixture for the meat. Into the remaining mayo mix, add the cabbage, pineapple and salt to taste. Toss to combine.

Season the tenderloin with salt and rub the remaining mayo mixture into the pork. Let it sit for about 30 mins in the fridge. Grill over a hot fire until browned all over, about 6 minutes (until meat reaches 145). Move to cutting board and tent with foil. Let rest for 5 minutes.

While the meat is resting, pop the tortillas onto the grill until slightly browned. Silce the pork thin. Put the pork into the tortillas and top with the slaw.

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
Price
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2008 at 07:56 AM

Another hot dog - Really Good !
everything should be room temp - lay hot dog on flour tortilla - sprinkle with favorite cheese - sweet relish & jalepeno - diced bacon - roll & fold like a buritto - fry till crispy - :biggrin::biggrin:
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 5-13-2008 at 03:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by elizabeth

There are many different usages, for sure. I can tell you that kids that return home from school have a snack -- referred to as almuerzo.

I wish FDT, Oso (or his maestra) and other fluent speakers would chime in here. I would really like to know.

Elizabeth may be thinking of merienda, but it comes after cena not before.

Eating patterns have changed with changes in work patterns. Modern urban Mexicans working the semana Inglesa (9-5, 40 hrs.) are forced to gulp down a lonche and get back to the office. Those lucky enough to live a more traditional lifestyle in provincia follow the pattern established by the Spaniards hundreds of years ago:

Desayuno
Almuerzo
Comida
Cena
Merienda

Although not everyone eats 5 times a day. Some skip desayuno and go straight for almuerzo, some hit the sack without merienda. Desayuno is usually a "continental" breakfast, maybe juice, coffee and sweet roll. Almuerzo is more "brunch" than lunch, coming mid morning and often including eggs. Comida is the main meal from noon to early afternoon, sometimes followed by a siesta. Cena is supper (or dinner, depending on where you're from) but lighter and later than the american version, sometimes after 8 or 9 PM. Merienda is more or less a midnight snack, possibly a bowl of menudo to ward off the morning after effects of overindulgence (if you're still sober enough to think of it) Calling an after school snack "almuerzo" may be a new thing, a more casual use of the terminology.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-13-2008 at 04:24 PM

Gracias, Oso.

Funny thing -- in Italy "merenda" is eaten between lunch and dinner, often consisting of something sweet for children and maybe a small sandwich for adults.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.