Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Cabo to Tijuana 5/2/08 road report
Trojan
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2008 at 08:55 AM
Cabo to Tijuana 5/2/08 road report

Just a quick report for you folks. My son, His friend, My 2 pitbulls and myself left Cabo at 5:30am Friday morning. My house is on the hill behind Home Depot. After a slow uneventful start thru Todos Santos we made it thru to Loreto by 11:30am.
Had breakfast and filled up with gas and and was off again by noon. Stop in Mulege at the sandbar for 30mins. to let the dogs play and do there stuff and was off again. We had a goal to get to El Rosario by dark or better. I feel comfortable driving at night from that point home. I was a little worried from a earlier post I read about some "Machete Wielding Banditos" north of San Ignacio and before Guerrero Negro but it was no worries. After a quick fill up in G.N we were off again. Stopped in Catavina for a few Hotdogs and kept rolling. Traffic was very minimal ALL day. Got to El Rosario at 7:00pm. Got gas on the way up the hill, Hit the Military Ck point and was off again this time in the dark, Sun was just setting at 7:30pm. Hit some traffic in San Quinten and was in Ensenada at 11:00 on Friday night. Dead as could be. Hit the toll road after a quick taco stop and was cruising at 70 by myself to Tijuana. Hit the boarder at 12:15. each line had like 20 cars in it
:spingrin: Still took 45 mins to cross.
No gas problems anywhere, Glad to be back home for awhile though.
Trojan
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2008 at 09:25 AM

Yeah just me driving, I usually can go like 12-14hrs but this time I was ok, Sitting at the border I was getting sleepy.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 5-4-2008 at 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Trojan
Yeah just me driving, I usually can go like 12-14hrs but this time I was ok, Sitting at the border I was getting sleepy.

Have driven that road for 25 or more years.
This doesn't sound like a road report, but more of a proud statement of an insane accomplishment.
You must have some kind of a "deathwish".
Not impressed.:no:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-4-2008 at 09:33 AM

18 hours and a thousand miles... and you won the Baja 1000!:P

Nice to hear you are safe! Thanks for the report!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Trojan
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2008 at 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Quote:

Have driven that road for 25 or more years.
This doesn't sound like a road report, but more of a proud statement of an insane accomplishment.
You must have some kind of a "deathwish".
Not impressed.:no:

Whoa! Was'nt trying to impress, was averaging about 50 mph, Wasn't tired so I kept driving, My son,Dogs are my life and would never put them in harms way, Road was empty and we took advantage of it. Point of the post wasn't how fast I got home but how the road conditions were.
Trojan
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2008 at 10:05 AM

I slept for a whole day before leaving, like 20hrs sleep, My thinking was El Rosario before dark, If I was tired Id stay at Bobs place in El Rosario and leave in the morning. We got there at 7pm and I wasnt tired. I knew if I made it to San Quintin Id be home free in Ensenada and on the toll road. It worked out beautiful for us. I know others who have done it in 1 shot. I dont take drugs to stay awake, Although I did have a Monster drink in El Rosario. If I was nodding out at all we would have stopped. Im well aware of the dangers of driving while tired especially south of the border.
I simply wasn't tired untill we stopped at the border and sat for 45mins. Nevertheless the road conditions were ideal and the trip was safe. I was driving a Ford Expedition not a porsche.:yes:
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2008 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
I slept for a whole day before leaving, like 20hrs sleep

Can't sleep ahead of time.
That's a myth.
People like you is one of the reasons I stay off that road as much as possible and keeps the roadside cross makers in business.

Air Evacuation go to
Trojan
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2008 at 10:24 AM

Dude whatever, It was a road report nothing more. Not sure where you get your info about sleeping, I got home and slept tell this morning, Another 20 hrs. Ill bet you a Ballena I dont sleep tonight at all cuz Im all sleeped out. I wasnt tired end of story, If I was I would have stopped, end of story again. Dont try and make me out as irresponsible because there wasn't anything irresponsible done.
IF I WAS TIRED I WOULD HAVE STOPPED.

People like you make it so people like me wont post a Road Report.
Also people like me actually ck this site for road reports prior to getting on the road. I was simply giving back to the forum. let it go.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2008 at 10:47 AM

Didn't read anything about road conditions, just the insane fact that you drove an insane amount of miles in one stretch.
In case you manage to get your cross somewhere on that highway, let's hope you didn't take some innocent people with you.

Air Evacuation go to
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2008 at 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg

For me to have done that would be irresponsible. To drive that highway requires pretty intense attention, and after 8 or 10 hours of that, I start to fry and can't sustain focus. Time to rest or die, perhaps taking others with me.

But I'm willing to entertain the concept that some people can stay on task for longer periods. Does anyone here manage to drive the whole Peninsula in one shot, and still maintain a margin of safety? I'd like to know how you keep from frying out...

--Larry

I make the drive from my house in San Diego to my place in Asuncion in one shot all the time. I stop for gas in El Rosario and again in Vizcaino. I pack my food and make an occasional restroom stop. On average the trip takes about 11 hours on the way south and 12-13 hours north. I've done it many times, know where to expect traffic, dangerous turns, and similar cautions.

Trojan sounds like an adult and I appreciate that he took the time to share his trip. The "deathwish" comments are not called for in my opinion.

Zac

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-4-2008 at 12:55 PM

i can easily drive to the border from mulege in 12 hours

then...

another 3 north

i did every other week for 6 months

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 5-4-2008 at 01:29 PM

HEY TROJAN....welcome to the board bro.

Don't stop posting cause of the grumpies.

I used to be able to do the "ironman" when younger but can't now, and I'm just not in that much or a hurry any more.

Hopefully, and I think you can and will, recognize your limitations at a safe point before you meet them, if you know what I mean. Otherwise you become a statistic and the hope is a singular one. That concept I agree with the previous posts on.

If your trip report went something like, "I was drinking a redbull every 5 miles and still nodding at the wheel", then you would have deserved to be blasted.

The other guys are entitled to their opinions remember, and we all get to pile on you, or not, as we see fit. :D

I think you can handle it, right?

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2008 at 01:44 PM

Talk about comparing apples and oranges.......

Bajaboy,

From your Vizcaino turnoff it's still close to 600 miles to Cabo.

And Bob,

Over 450 miles from Mulege to Cabo.:no::no:

Air Evacuation go to
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-4-2008 at 01:50 PM

There are many of us who travel the distances required when needed. However, now days with the drop in tourist traffic, and less trucks and busses traversing the highway, we can cover greater distances than a year ago.
My average from Big Bear Laake, CA. to Ignacio B&B is 12 hours. Leave at 4 a.m., stop for gas and oysters in San Quintin. Gas again in Guerrero Negro as well as a vampiro, then onto San Ignacio.
Not too much diferent than bajaboy as well as Bob & Susan. We are all experienced travelers on the peninsula, the sensible thing to do is to make a couple of food stops along the way.
One topic I have not seen covered yet is the very thorough military stop a few miles north of Guerrero Negro. That generally covers about 1-1/2 hours, trucks notwithstanding, who have their own line.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2008 at 01:52 PM

I once did San Diego to Loreto in three hours, oops, that was on a plane!

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2008 at 02:09 PM

udowinkler -

Your Military stop is unfortunate. My last drive was late 2007, and my maximum stop was 5 minutes.

Is this longer stop now normal?

Off topic, but welcome and I also look forward to your stories and pictures of your Baja travels. I can guess how much fun you have had over the years.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-4-2008 at 02:24 PM

My last trip to Baja, (the short trips to La Bufadora & Puerto Nuevo notwithstanding, which are every three weeks), the military personnel were talking about some kind of windshield sticker that is issued either going south at the stop near Santo Thomas, or northbound near Guerrero Negro. The purpose of which is curtail the unnecessary subsequent stops by designating that you have already been searched at the previous military checkpoints. Hopefully this will be implemented.

Thanks for your welcome comment, SD

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2008 at 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by udowinkler
My last trip to Baja, (the short trips to La Bufadora & Puerto Nuevo notwithstanding, which are every three weeks), the military personnel were talking about some kind of windshield sticker that is issued either going south at the stop near Santo Thomas, or northbound near Guerrero Negro. The purpose of which is curtail the unnecessary subsequent stops by designating that you have already been searched at the previous military checkpoints. Hopefully this will be implemented.

Thanks for your welcome comment, SD

So you take on the contraband anyplace north of the GN stop.:?::?:,without the threat of being searched again.:?:

Sounds like sound Mexican logic.:biggrin:
They need dogs, dogs, dogs and more dogs.:(

Air Evacuation go to
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 5-4-2008 at 07:17 PM

Quote:
Stopped in Catavina for a few Hotdogs and kept rolling.

Thanks for the report. We do the trip from SoCal (3 hours from border crossing) to Cabo in 2 days, 4 round trips a year. We spend the night in GN. We have snacks in the car, Sirius radio and 2 drivers to trade off. We enjoy the trip and always enjoy the significant spots along the way (this is where the semi overturned, look there's the spot you fertilized the desert, remember this is where they were herding 30 cows down the road, there's Felix's shrine must have been driving the Tecate truck when he fell asleep, etc.)

Where can I get hot dogs in Catavina?
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-4-2008 at 08:18 PM

To me it's not the miles that count, it is the intensity of your concentration on "that" road that wears me out.

The longest stint I ever put in on "that" road was the Bay of LA to the border in one push, and I thought I was going to die. And I drove for a living for some 20 years.

You marathon drivers are truly amazing!!! :?: (and scary) :lol:

Barry
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.