BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: How not to get stuck in the sand....
Matt&Mutt
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 01:49 PM
How not to get stuck in the sand....

There's 3 basic tenets of off-pavement driving that'll keep you out of the muck. I routinely ignore all of them.

1) Air down. Highway/city folks are scared that their tires'll fly off the rims if they are below 32 psi. Not so, unless you're taking some hard corners on solid ground. I typically air down to 20 on routine washboard/softy, down to 15 on soft/deep sands, and reserve airing down to 10 for when I'm stuck in some serious deeps (if I can't get out at 10, I shouldn't have been there in the first place). For off-pavement newbies, if there's not a llantera and you don't have a compressor ($10 at Wallyworld for the cheapest Chinese model), you can safely drive (no hard turns/braking) for 40 or 50 miles to find air. Just keep it below 55 and you'll be fine.

2) Don't stop !! If you're in the muck, or crawling up a hill (especially), the last thing you want to do is to stop off and take a look around !! That is when you get stuck. Preview your turf, if possible, and commit. If it's soft & you're bogging down, stopping will guarantee it !!

3) If you get stopped/stuck....get off the gas !! Stopped is stopped, and there is a reason you're not moving forward anymore. Trying to rock it out or easing forward will do nothing more than dig you in further. I generally figure that a basic stick is worth about a half hour of digging. An axle-depth stick (easy, really easy to do in soft stuff), can be a half day affair !!

Re the 4wd vs the 2wd debate---there's places I've taken my old beat-up Wrangler that no 2wd vehicle will EVER make it to, let alone smell the downwind scent of.... Know your and your vehicle's limits, know your back-up plan (having one is smart), have sufficient survival/recovery gear on board always, and GO EXPLORE !!!

M
Matt&Mutt
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 02:38 PM
46 hits and no comments ??

No way !! I thought you Nomads were an opinionated bunch. Nobody assessing/criticizing/commenting on driving suggestions ???? No way !
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 02:44 PM

Good points all.

When I get my F-250 Powerstroke stuck I usually look for a Toyota to pull me out. :biggrin::smug:;D

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 02:51 PM

How about simply "don't drive on it":?::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt&Mutt
No way !! I thought you Nomads were an opinionated bunch. Nobody assessing/criticizing/commenting on driving suggestions ???? No way !

OK, I'll bite on your shameless bump.

Your list is pretty general information for allot of us, and well received by those who will log it in the data base for later, I'm sure.

There are just a few, but not all I'm sure, items I would like to add to your list for clearing any said obstacle or soft terrain.

Massive speed
Massive horsepower
Massive hang time ie. altitude
Oh and Massive ego...no thats what got you stuck, skip that one. :cool:

Welcome to the board.

You don't have to look or ask for a bashing from anyone on this board. You'll get your share soon enough :o

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
pargo
Nomad

Mood: Baja Nomas

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 02:55 PM

I was lurking around your thread all the while laughing my *** off because you brought back a fond memory for me. I'm kinda ( i was) embarrassed to admit it but i did every single thing you said not to do in your 3 rules of thumb and got stuck in the sand in a little known beach called Ligui in Baja Sur (wonder if it's still there nowadays). As you were pointing out the rocking, laying off the gas etc i was reliving that day. I was gung ho and green back then and i recall not really giving a damn about being stuck in my little beach in heaven.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 03:21 PM

Back in my early days in baja i found myself stuck on many occasions...always tried the dig, rip up plants, jack up vehicle, place under wheels, program.....i finally GOT it about twenty years ago; AIRDOWN!!....it works almost everytime.....good advise for folks that havent experienced deep, soft sand......good advise, mutt...er, matt....

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 03:23 PM

About a month ago there was a similar thread wherein about 80 % of people who claimed they travelled several million miles, 2 wheel and 4 by in every kind of possible terrain were convinced it is a very bad idea to air down tires. That group, whoever they are, are out there right now laughing at your post. I'm not in that group.
Matt&Mutt
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 03:29 PM
Osprey...

That group, when they get back from their lengthy hike through the desert from their stranded vehicles, can laugh at anything they wish (they'll likely be a little delirious from the walkabout tour, anyways;). .... I've been stuck everywhere, from Africa to Brazil to Baja, and it's inevitably always been my stankin' fault...But I loved it !!!
Matt&Mutt
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 04:30 PM
Spot on !!

Brutha Nomad,

I don't know if it's a "guy" thing, or a gringo thing, but indeed there's always a consort that'd like nothing better than to haul your rig out of the muck for ya !!! Only problem is, is that they'd likely come across my sun-petrified body long long after I required a pull out, and long long before I'd withered away to nothing in the back-far !!!

At those particular times, folding shovels're nice....

M
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 04:38 PM

All of our vehicles have shovels...standard equipment.

Getting stuck happens if you have any sense of adventure and take off down any dirt road, lane, path, cow trail, etc that you see.

All of our vehicles have tarps for the side of the road mechanic thingie. I, of course, have never had to use one....but Jim has.

bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 05:08 PM

Buy a RUBICON! STUCKY no mas.
Matt&Mutt
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 05:17 PM
Rubicon ??

Who makes the Rubicon ? Is that Hyundai, or Kia ??? Does it come with training wheels ??
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 05:31 PM

Yes.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Matt&Mutt
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 05:33 PM
Rubicon

Just teasing. I wish I had a newer rig, but my old Wrangler gets through whatever I (reasonably) aim it at. Usually.

Out of the Jungle micro.jpg - 36kB
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt&Mutt
Just teasing. I wish I had a newer rig, but my old Wrangler gets through whatever I (reasonably) aim it at. Usually.
Thanks for that. I was about to embarrass myself with a stupid GULL like comment.:lol:
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 06:28 PM

Yes, I recall some past threads addressing tire pressures. Generally speaking I'd have to say that I rarely air down. Certain elements usually dictate that. For example; sand road compactness and the physical condition of roads in washes or along beaches can change dramatically from season to season.
One of the biggest in terms of change are the races. They can really churn up the sand.

The trick is to be able to forecast or otherwise "read" the sand ahead. Knowing how the sand behaves and how your vehicle behaves and responds depends again on various factors.
Experience makes a whole lot of difference whether you should air down or not.

It pretty obvious to many of us when that time comes tho the ones that aren't get stuck more.

I miss the thrill of flying across sand that should you stop you could be stuck big time. Isn't that why we do this?:bounce::bounce:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
kodiak
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 08:32 PM

Here is a victim I pulled out of the sand...camper and all

[Edited on 5-6-2008 by kodiak]

BAJA PICS 33.jpg - 42kB
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 08:51 PM

What's that Kodiak a FORD.? you are pulling.?
Just kidding, I have got stuck alot times, and most of the time it was my fault.Most of the time is human error,and some times just plain ego,Im guilty of that one.We try to push are rigs to the max.Old saying of mine, "I don't need a second spare tire,I never get flats in BAJA",Oh boy I was wrong,some people outhere,know what Im talking about.
Welcome aboard.

PS. DON'T FORGET TO AIR DOWN,AND CARRY YOUR TRIPLE A CARD,iM SURE THE WILL FIND YOU IN BAJA.

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 08:21 AM

Give us at least 24 hours to read the thread Matt!:biggrin:

Air pressure is EVERYTHING when it comes to deep sand... and anything can drive across deep sand if the tires are made to float.

Shell Island (and most any gulf beach) has the mix of sand and crushed sea shells that will swallow most vehicles that don't deflate.

4WD gives you a feeling of security, but locals tender to their nets drive 2WD trucks on the beach regularly. Many of you know the folks from Vista who drive their BIG (2WD) Motorhome onto the beach there, regularly.

Different tires require different air pressure for floatation!

The best sand tire is one with the least aggressive/ most highway style tread... The worst are the mud/rock tires with deep claws and stiff sidewalls. Case in point, my Cooper Discoverer STT agressive tread tires dug right into the sand... They needed to go to 10 psi to float. The stock BFGs (Rugged Trail TAs) and the tires I have now, Toyo A/T Open Country, float at 20 psi.

Next time you get stuck in the sand: Move the piled-up sand from the front of all four tires and DEFLATE until you see nice buldges in the sidewalls, even if you go to 10 psi or a bit less... and you will drive right out.

607 015r.JPG - 44kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.