BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: How not to get stuck in the sand....
wsdunc
Nomad

Mood: Upbeat

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 10:05 AM

Pargo,
You made me smile. Maybe 15 years ago we camped at the beach near ligui. Where we went you actually went past the town dump, but then continued a few hundred feet to a beautiful deserted beach. I was driving the Baja Beast, a 71 dually with a chassis mount camper (with a flip down rear patio and sliding glass doors in the back). My method was to get near the beach, turn around, and then reverse towards the beach. Once I got stuck that is where we stayed for the week, when it was time to go we figured out how to get unstuck. Scheduled the unsticking for early in the morning when it was cool:tumble:
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 11:39 AM

Here is a link to a rather extensive article regarding tire pressure and footprint - good reading for anyone going off road in sand - beaches, washes, etc.

http://www.4x4now.com/sfjun96.htm

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 12:55 PM

Interesting Lou.

I don't believe that you can achieve the equivalent traction of 16(regularly inflated?) tires by 4 (underinflated) tires. That just seems a bit much imo.

Like I said, I air down as needed. I just need more log time!:bounce:
Hey Roy, what pressures did you use in the wash? Up that last hill?

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Matt&Mutt
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 01:09 PM
Highway pressure

Also, it's unlikely that most people are driving around with the max allowable pressure in their tires. My Wrangler's got some squirrely emergency handling to start with, and there's just no way I'd be running 50 psi in my BFG A/T's unless I wanted to do some loopies on the freeway. Typically I run 30-32 cold pressure all the way around.

There's no noticeable bulging until you get below 20 psi, which is also around when you can detect an audible lessening of the sound of the escaping winds--takes me about a minute to get to 20 psi. Just a mild airdown makes the washboard a much more pleasant situation & will extend the life of both your dental work and your suspension significantly.
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 01:29 PM

One of the things I learned early (1960's) in Baja, is to stop and walk the road before you get stuck. A little walk is better than alot of digging.
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 01:36 PM

One common misconception of the "bulging" side wall that makes the tire float. This is showing you that the "contact" patch of the tread has lengthened, thus floating the tire, much like a track on a tractor does.

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 06:08 PM

Yes, the buldging sidewall is not what you want to support the vehicle weight... but the max. wide footprint is.

It really works, no need to walk 20 miles to San Felipe for a tow truck!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Matt&Mutt
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Yes, the buldging sidewall is not what you want to support the vehicle weight... but the max. wide footprint is.

Walk 20 miles to San Felipe ?? That's why I've got my "emergency" bicycle strapped on the back of the Jeep !! Cept, when I backed into that cholla last week in Arizona I do believe I smoked the rear tire. Ok....guess walking it'll be !!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt&Mutt
Quote:

Walk 20 miles to San Felipe ?? That's why I've got my "emergency" bicycle strapped on the back of the Jeep !! Cept, when I backed into that cholla last week in Arizona I do believe I smoked the rear tire. Ok....guess walking it'll be !!

Photo by Amo Pescar in Valle Chico, 2-01

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 06:22 PM

Photo of David Eidell's leg, Valle la Bocana, 7-01

kodiak
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 07:22 PM

I pulled 3 different people off of Playa Norte while I was there. The poor fellow in the Ford and fifthwheel camper, was surrounded by the high tide when he ran over to my site. I wish I could have gotten a picture about 40' back from where this was taken.....It was really sunk.

Another one, was a small rental car that was buried so bad, they could not open the doors! Water was actually lapping up to the trunk's lid. It was parked with the rearend of the car facing the water.

But, the best one, was a 4X4 Chevy Blazer S-10 that was in the process of trying to get his wave runner out of the surf once he had it on the trailer and hooked to his truck. He had really aggressive mud tires that buried his truck almost instantly. He had the attitude that spinning the tires at excessive speeds would eventually free his situation. That made for a real show, as he was throwing sand everywhere and cutting his front wheels back and forth. Throwing it into reverse and drive, over and over with his foot on the floor.
kodiak
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 07:29 PM
Stuck in the sand picture

He got a rash of ribbing for this stick.....his wife had an "emergency" of the lavatory kind, and he had to pull over "right now!!" All he had to dig with was an old frying pan. Lucky there was a road crew near by...great bunch of locals that would not accept any compensation for their trouble.

[Edited on 5-7-2008 by kodiak]

Sand Trap.jpg - 47kB
kodiak
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 07:31 PM

Opps...I meant for this to be under the "how not to get stuck thread"
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 08:02 PM

Quote:

The tread is only as wide as it is. It cannot get any wider and is becoming deformed if the side walls are actually doing any lifting of the vehicle, which they don't.

If viewed from underneath, say through a glass surface, the contact length of the tread at say your average psi may be 4" long, front to back on the tread. Width will always be the same unless of course the tire is grossly overinflated which would cause the tread pattern to bulge in the middle and be narrower.

Now let air out of said properly infalted tire and you will see the tread width stay the same, but length front to rear, of the contact patch of the tread will go from say 4" at 35 psi to 8" at 15 psi. Thus it becomes more like a track on a dozer laying across the sand rather than pushing / rolling through it. You have now gone from driving on 4 tires to 8.

You now have an improved length of the tread, not width.

[Edited on 5-7-2008 by Gadget]

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget
Quote:

The tread is only as wide as it is. It cannot get any wider and is becoming deformed if the side walls are actually doing any lifting of the vehicle, which they don't.

If viewed from underneath, say through a glass surface, the contact length of the tread at say your average psi may be 4" long, front to back on the tread. Width will always be the same unless of course the tire is grossly overinflated which would cause the tread pattern to bulge in the middle and be narrower.

Now let air out of said properly infalted tire and you will see the tread width stay the same, but length front to rear, of the contact patch of the tread will go from say 4" at 35 psi to 8" at 15 psi. Thus it becomes more like a track on a dozer laying across the sand rather than pushing / rolling through it. You have now gone from driving on 4 tires to 8.

You now have an improved length of the tread, not width.

[Edited on 5-7-2008 by Gadget]

Translation: ------ tires with low air pressure go thru the sand better and tires with high pressure.

Moral: --------partially deflate tires when in the dirt.

barry :lol::lol::lol:
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2008 at 12:57 AM

and be careful of sharp or pointy objects at speed.

and bring a hi-lift jack with sand-friendly base and a spare.

and

and

whatever, who gives a rattsass anywaaaaaaaaaaay? Unless you get stuck that is.:lol::lol:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.