Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  9
Author: Subject: "THE ROAD TO BAJA"
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 5-11-2008 at 08:48 PM

Good times to you at your northern home, Tony. We will hold the fort in Mulege until you return. Eddy landed on the country road blacktop like all small plane pilots do up here, then taxied onto the lane coming into the yard and had that little accident..and yes, the yard is big. At mowing time, I let a few of the neighbor's sheep graze it. Mostly because goats tend to rip up the roots, plus they climb all over your truck.

Nena...I will make an exception for you..you don't HAVE to come with shoes on. I have some of these in the console that will fit you to a T if your feet get cold on the Pacific side. See the photo...

Debindesert...you are welcome anytime..as are those good-looking Pacificos. Muchas gracias, senorita. Mi cervesa fria preferida...my favorite cold beer for the Baja Road. Yes, Bernie...life IS good.

- 0 0 abarefootsock.jpg - 20kB

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2008 at 11:39 AM

Thanks, Roger.... and those are very nice sock-shoes.
They'll be perfect for those places with signs - No shirt, no shoes, no service - although my sense is that Carmelita would not mind.;D

Nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-12-2008 at 01:16 PM

Gracias amigo....Maybe the maybe might work with a little coaxing...we sound like a good match...I don't agitate but I love to spin! We are heading to "the other side" in a couple weeks so let me know when you will be there. Buen viaje amigol

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 5-13-2008 at 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Jorge
Which way are you going through Guerro Negro? :lol::lol:

He's taking the airport road so his unshowered passengers won't have to endure the ag spraying.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2008 at 07:29 AM

tsk-tsk, Jorge..be careful, the walls have ears. Besides, you know that not even waterboarding could make me divulge the location of our tunnel.

uh...you did put the lid back on, right?

bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 5-14-2008 at 07:58 AM

Wish I could join you:P

bacquito
goob2020

[*] posted on 5-15-2008 at 02:01 AM
You leave yet???

I think id be interested in being a passenger on this trip...did you already take off?
I just showered on Monday!
If anyone is leaving for somewhere on Monday the 19th...id be even more inclined to ride along.
Jon
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2008 at 10:13 PM
DRIVING MISS BILLARY, BARACK-O,THE VET and others..

Well, heck, goob20202, sorry we missed you. Old Vet John M. and I are rather large and taking up the front seats, but I could have squeezed you in the back between Hilary and Barack-O. Those two have been getting rather nasty and need to be separated, as it looks like they never will become a pair.

After some last minute Nomad cargo shopping, we left Shelter Island, San Diego at false dawn of the 14th. (You know what ‘false’ dawn is, don’t you? .. Means we got up too early...)

NOTE: This Baja road trip from San Diego - Mulege, Conception Bay was crime-free...as were the 200 previous trips. 50-some round trips from Montana/North Dakota - San Diego were also crime-free.

San Diego - Tecate driving distance and time:

For those interested in such things.....the driving distance/time from where I-5 and I-8 intersect in San Diego to Tecate is: 47 miles and 1 hour. This was during low-to-normal traffic times.. Rush hours would add a lifetime to your driving time..and severe Baja withdrawal.

Once out of the city madhouse and onto CampoRd/Ca-94, Spring Valley...you begin to relax and enjoy some country scenery.

On this particular occasion it was a beautiful spring morning. The landscape: Rolling hills with boulders...punctuated with boulders and rolling hills.. A good day for a road trip and enjoying Mother Nature. It reminds us of a Norman Rockwell painting depicting a peaceful America.

Here and there.. in the rolling hills... we see large groups of hikers coming from the south. A day for some exercise, it seems.

John M. grins and signals...some groups swerve towards us and but quickly hike on by. Billary reminds them to visit a voting booth. Barack-O yells he has always loved burritos, no matter what old crazy reverend has said about them.

[Edited on 5-19-2008 by Pompano]

1.jpg - 47kB

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2008 at 10:17 PM
The country crossings...

About halfway to Tecate, dodging a stream of over-dressed joggers, we cruise past the 200 or so parked Border Patrol vans, Land Roves, and Jeeps at an immigration checkpoint on the highway and we all wave at the friendly faces.

We make a few stops for waving joggers and have to tell them we’re headed to Baja, not north.

Continuing on the shaded road, it leads us towards a familiar stop just down the road a bit......

2.jpg - 48kB

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2008 at 10:19 PM
it takes a village...

Dulzura Stop...

Okay, not quite to Baja yet...but we are trying. Having missed breakfast, brunch, and a snack we pull up to the semi-famous Dulzura Café. It sits next to the Post Office and small park with lots of village children. ‘Interesting place’, Hilary says, and writes something in her notebook.

3 (Custom) (3).jpg - 48kB

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2008 at 10:21 PM
"The Road to Dulzura"

...brought to you by your choice of candidates...

2.5 (Custom).jpg - 43kB

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2008 at 10:23 PM
The Cafe

Renowned for it’s collection of kitchen hand-mixers, lanterns, deer heads, discarded hiking gear, concertina and razor-wire samples, anti-venom kits, and rattlesnake skins..the Dulzura café always has a couple of friendly patrons and staff who are eager to chew the fat with you. ”Where are you from? Where are you going? Can I go with you?”

I have been eating at this Dogpatch-like place for 30-some years, but luckily they fail to recognize me and we are offered choice stools at the counter. I recognize the nicked tabasco bottle from my second trip.

4 (Custom) (2).jpg - 43kB

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2008 at 10:24 PM

Now if you want the biggest, juiciest cheeseburger of your life...at around 7000 calories with the french fries to go with it...THIS IS THE PLACE. As I gazed at this masterpiece of cholesterol headed for my heart, my mouth watered, my lips trembled, and my hands shook ...the folks nearby moved slowly away..... and I lost track of the next few minutes.

5.jpg - 43kB

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2008 at 10:27 PM
Tecate turnoff

Winding roads...and then Turnoff to Tecate from Hwy 94. Be careful on this route...With all the sharp turns and pedestrian crossings, you must use extreme caution.

6.jpg - 40kB

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2008 at 10:28 PM
The Border

Anything to declare, folks? No Hilary, you’re okay, ...it has nothing to do with election contributions.

There are no officials in sight on the Mexican side....eerily quiet.....We see the green light..’Pase’....and drive on into Tecate unheralded by anyone...except for some more hikers coming at us.

7.jpg - 49kB

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2008 at 10:31 PM
Going through Tecate...

INFO: Tourist visas (FMT) and bank fee if needed, plus Tecate street directions to Ensendada from the border....

For those needing tourists visas, you can park in a USA lot, walk across first and procure all at the marked places in the photo. Easy and quick during business hours. FM-1, 2 or 3 holders just drive on through unless you need/want a stamp. The border crossing itself is open from 5 a.m. until 11 p.m.

To get to Ensenada the quickest way is simple...from the Mexico entry crossing drive straight ahead to first intersection, then left to next, then right...and you are good to go. Keep going straight ahead, past city park, traffic lights, roundabout, up the hill around some curves, etc...yup, stay on that same heading. Traffic becomes very chaotic again, so drive defensively.

Check ice in cooler. Did you remember to pack the cold chicken/cole slaw lunches?..or have you gone Baja-native already?

The Laja and Mustafa’s are coming up.

8.jpg - 46kB

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2008 at 10:43 PM
The Wine Route...Rute de Vino

Now begins a delightful, leisurely drive to Ensenada through ‘The Wine Route’ of the Guadalupe Valley. Who doesn’t want to take some wine tours? I always find a favorite red.. Plus buy some primo olive oil and tequilas. Then there are the gastronomical delights to be had at places like the Laja and Mustafa’s... ummmm ..(and oof-da, even)...that lamb! LET’S FACE IT, you will not be able to enjoy all this area has to offer on one trip, so don’t try. Savor the moment you choose. Take it nice and slowwww.....

9.jpg - 38kB

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2008 at 10:45 PM
..reward..

...and if you should chance across a ivory-handled corkscrew left on a covered-well, please drop it off in Coyote Bay for a reward of delicious red.

10 (Custom) (2).jpg - 48kB

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2008 at 10:46 PM

More tomorrow...sleep now...zzzzzzzz

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-19-2008 at 05:58 AM

Pompano, Thanks for the report and the pictures.:)
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.