BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Things for the family to do after I have Fished them out?
hardy

[*] posted on 4-25-2004 at 11:38 AM
Things for the family to do after I have Fished them out?

Taking the family down to loreto and was wondering besides fishing what other fun things are there to do in town? Horseback riding? Best Places to snorkel?:?:

[Edited on 4-25-2004 by hardy]
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2004 at 11:46 AM
Especially if the family includes kids....

my best advice on what to do when you go to Loreto or any other beachside town in Southern Baja, is simply don't plan a whole lot. You'll be amazed at how easy it will become to while the days away with little stress and micromanagement. Just hang out on the beach or walk around town and practice slowing down. That's where the true joy of a Baja vacation comes. - Stephanie

When the goin' gets tough, the wierd turn pro
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2004 at 11:57 AM

Drive up to San Javier for history lesson and pinturas.

Drive up to Bahia Concepcion for snorkeling and beach time picnic.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2004 at 11:58 AM
If you're driving

I'd take the trek up to San Javier. It's well worth the drive.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-25-2004 at 12:55 PM

San Javier gets my vote! Also, what Stephanie says is so true!

See Loreto, San Javier and San Bruno mission photos at http://davidksbaja.com/bajamissions (first page).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2004 at 04:14 PM
things to do?

why not taqke your children out to the Dump North of Loreto and see if there are any small Children rummaging through the Trash for Cans,to be sold for Food and propane for their families?
Or go over to the boarding School with your children to meet and play with the children of the "Internado}

A side trip to MiraMar to teach your children how smiling ,happy people live in Cardboard shacks!Never complaining about not having the latest "Gameboy" or going to the latest Movie?

Try teaching your children about another culture,lanuage,way of Life.

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I trust"
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2004 at 05:20 PM

Bring along a book on Marine Life, and a bucket per child for tide-pooling. After checking the treasures out, please return critters. Hours of fun! :biggrin:
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2004 at 05:59 PM

If its the summer, i love to take the entire familia on a good Pitaya hunting party, you simply need long carrizo sticks, a good eye, and willingness to eat as many Pitayas as you can.

Plus, you can make candy with them and take it home.;)

capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

smile.gif posted on 4-25-2004 at 07:48 PM
Loreto Vacation

Don't forget to visit the Mission and the Museum. Loreto is the home of the first of the Missions. The museum houses many interesting things. You can rent horses up by the highway---if you would like. Rent a panga and go over to Coronado Island for the day---it is beautiful. I like just hanging out and visiting with my Mexican friends the best. Loreto is a very tranquil place and the days pass so quickly. Don't forget baseball at the stadium in the evening. Lotta action and not boring like pro ball here is. Have a great time.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-25-2004 at 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
If its the summer, i love to take the entire familia on a good Pitaya hunting party, you simply need long carrizo sticks, a good eye, and willingness to eat as many Pitayas as you can.

Jesse, how far south before the Pithaya Dulce area starts? I thought the fruit wasn't in season until the fall?

I would really like to try some, as I have not yet. I enjoy the cactus apples from the Nopal (Prickly Pear) I think is called 'tuna' en espanol? I understand nothing beats pithaya dulce!

How about a pithaya party Jesse?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2004 at 08:41 AM

The beach at Juncalito (a little south), is nice; Las Parras tours in town offers trips to Mag Bay for whale watching if there are still whales there now. They also offer tours to the pictographs and fruit orchard in the Sierra Gigante (en route to the mission).
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2004 at 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE

Jesse, how far south before the Pithaya Dulce area starts? I thought the fruit wasn't in season until the fall?

I would really like to try some, as I have not yet. I enjoy the cactus apples from the Nopal (Prickly Pear) I think is called 'tuna' en espanol? I understand nothing beats pithaya dulce!

How about a pithaya party Jesse?

Well, i always go Pitaya hunting during the summer, and from what i can see, you can start getting Pitayas after you pass el Rosario.

Too bad we can't get them this far north.

hardy

smile.gif posted on 4-26-2004 at 06:06 PM
Thanks all of you

For your great info. But what are pitayas?
Bringing a bucket and a book is something I would have not thought of.
I planed on seeing the mission but I dident know about the museum, and now, san javier & bahia concepion.Thanks Again

That being said. Wow Skeet! Take my kids to the dump?I dont think so. I live in L.A. so dumpster diving is nothing new. we just do it behind the store not at the dump.I work my tail off so my kids dont have to see lifes harshness( for when their young adults they will have to)

My kids never had gameboys, or game consoles. I think they are the biggest waste of time in the world. (besides for taking your kids to the dump)
and I never want my kids to be content with a cardboard house. I just want have a family vaction in loreto, and we should not have to feel gulity about it. You see I wanted to have 5 children. But I found out I did not have the means to feed or shelter 5 children so I STOPED when I got two.I dont whant to change mexico. I just want to go there have so fun spend some money and go home. And HOPFULLY some of that money(taxes) helps the kids.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 05:24 AM

Hardy:
Thank you for your Words!

I wanted you and your family to know that "People "live in Loreto.
that there are Children in Need there as there are here in the States.

hoping that you and your children would know the Real Baja instead of the "Tourist' Baja.

Seems as if we all are thinking more of Ourselves, than our neighbors these Days,both in Baja and the States United.

No offense intended.

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust'
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 11:16 AM

Pitayas

http://members.langoo.com/dragonfruit/pictures/Pitaya%20Drag...

tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 01:43 PM

Add a kayak outing on the things to do. Lots of placed to rent I am sure...I always stay at the Villa De Loreto (owners are Ron and Wendy and not a nicer place to stay in all of baja in my opinion) and they loan them as part of the stay....Kids will have a blast seeing all of the fish up close and watching the brown pelicans 'bomb' the water right in front. Top of the list would be the trip to San Javier. This is one of the best ways to see 'authenic' culture. If you have the ability/desire the school there is always extremely appreciative of used (or new) sports equipment (balls, bats, gloves etc).
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tim40
I always stay at the Villa De Loreto (owners are Ron and Wendy and not a nicer place to stay in all of baja in my opinion)

Dittos!

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.