Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Greengo swindler arrested in San Felipe
fulano
Banned

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 01:31 PM
Greengo swindler arrested in San Felipe

http://el-mexicano.info/nota.aspx?idNota=308006&esSecc=t...

Dave Arthur La Barre, an American, was arrested in San Felipe for defrauding at least $7 million from Americans and Mexicans for selling land he did not own in the area known as "Mi Casa del Mar" in the La Hacienda subdivision, using false documents.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 01:53 PM

Great news! Things are tough enough without gutter slime like this out and about. Hopefully they can recover some of the money to give it back to the poor folks who were swindled...

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
Great news! Things are tough enough without gutter slime like this out and about. Hopefully they can recover some of the money to give it back to the poor folks who were swindled...

being arrested in Mexico may not even indicate you are suspected of a crime. being arrested in Mexico for land title issues usually only means that the arresting officer or one of his supervisors is working on behalf of some relative with a grudge.
in land disputes, there are always 3 or more sides to the story; and many sides are correct, and several sides are false.
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fulano
http://el-mexicano.info/nota.aspx?idNota=308006&esSecc=t...

Dave Arthur La Barre, an American, was arrested in San Felipe for defrauding at least $7 million from Americans and Mexicans for selling land he did not own in the area known as "Mi Casa del Mar" in the La Hacienda subdivision, using false documents.

I hope he goes down hard...

But, fulano, my question is about the term "Greengo",

Is that an ecologically sensitive swindler ? :spingrin:

Just wondering,

CaboRon

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 02:28 PM

I thought that being arrested had something to do with breaking the law?:spingrin:
sylens
Senior Nomad

Mood: ando bajando

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
I thought that being arrested had something to do with breaking the law?:spingrin:

not necessarily in mexico:lol:

nor, for that matter, in the good ol' usa, but at least in the states there are constitutional protections and the assumption of innocence until guilt is proven. it is much more difficult to get wrongful charges dropped in mexico. but with enough money, of course, anything is possible.:(

lili
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sylens

it is much more difficult to get wrongful charges dropped in mexico. but with enough money, of course, anything is possible.:(

Also, there are beefy laws in Mexico that protect the accused if the accusation is wrong. It becomes a Mexican Stand-off. Who can afford to vindicate hisself. Justice is only as meaningful as one can afford to buy.
Nice place..huh.
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 04:39 PM

I notice the newspaper used GRINGO in its headline. Just imagine the FALLOUT if a US newspaper Used the term BEANER.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 04:45 PM

I don't equate the two at all.

Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by sylens

it is much more difficult to get wrongful charges dropped in mexico. but with enough money, of course, anything is possible.:(

Also, there are beefy laws in Mexico that protect the accused if the accusation is wrong. It becomes a Mexican Stand-off. Who can afford to vindicate hisself. Justice is only as meaningful as one can afford to buy.
Nice place..huh.

I had false accusation charges filed against me a few years ago. He almost ran me over on the beach with his jeep and we had a few choice words and gestures. He came back a half hour later and said I had pulled him from his truck and hurrt his back. This was from a mexican doctor and his motorcycle cop buddy. They even made the JPG hearing for that next day when all my Mexican family was out of town. Lucikly I had a camera working in front and it had caught the entire episode on tape, including him coming back to brush over his tire marks in the sand (which I hadn't known at the time). If not for that tape it would have been a mess for me and I couldn't have won. They didn't get him for filing false charges though- he just hid in his house until they saw I wasn't pressing for it. A mexican standoff indeed.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 05:04 PM

Quote:

Me either.

In Pacific Beach (san diego) a few years back there was a huge uproar when a restaurant called "Gringo's" was planning to open. They community had hearings and meetings with all the PC people leading the charge to stop Gingo's. At the same time a "Hooter's" opened just down the street without a peep from the community- they were all looking the other way.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh

At the same time a "Hooter's" opened just down the street without a peep from the community- they were all looking the other way.

After Hooter opened we ALL know which way everyone was looking........:P

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
Quote:

Me either.

In Pacific Beach (san diego) a few years back there was a huge uproar when a restaurant called "Gringo's" was planning to open. They community had hearings and meetings with all the PC people leading the charge to stop Gingo's. At the same time a "Hooter's" opened just down the street without a peep from the community- they were all looking the other way.

It did open, been there for some time now right on Mission Blvd.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 05:21 PM

Many sources, including online dictionaries often make the mistake of listing the word Gringo as a derogatory term. It only demonstrates thier ignorance of Spanish language and Latin culture. I have lived almost all of my adult life in Latin America and will bet my bank account on this.

In Spanish they call you and address you for what you are and how they see you:

gordo
alto
guero
viejo
flaco
negro
vicioso
etc etc etc

Nobody takes offense here at that because that is a dynamic of the Spanish language and it is consistently used from tierra del fuego to the US southern border. In Argentina, if you are of Arabic descent you are a Turco and so on. Here in Mexico, although some do, many will not call you an Americano. Technically they are too and many take offense that some from the USA want to pretend they own the label.

Can a Latino use the term Gringo in a derogatory manner? Of course! Just like you might hear someone say "that stupid Mexican". The term Mexican is not derogatory bu the intent of the statement is. The same happens with the term Gringo. Some Latinos may use it in a similar derogatory way but they will also use term "guero" or others in a similar fashion.

The majority of times a Latino uses the term Gringo it is used simply to identify someone of foreign descent, and usually from the USA but may include Canada and even Europe on occasion. I am married to a Latina, we speak only Spanish in our home and I have been living and working among the Latino community for over 30 years speaking primarily Spanish.

Trust me on this one and not some online dictionary written by a Gringo. To equate the term with "beaner" which is meant only to be derogatory, is ridiculous.

bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 05:39 PM
GRINGO

It's usually used as a derogatory term by an uncultured wanabe elitist with an inferiority complex.

[Edited on 6-14-2008 by bancoduo]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 05:45 PM

How about "Frijolero?" is that OK?
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 05:57 PM

I like frijolero, as long as you hearts in the right place. And I don't mean heart burn...

fulano
Banned

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
How about "Frijolero?" is that OK?

As long as you don't use it in the same sentence with 'tacobender'.
:lol:
gibson
Banned

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bancoduo
I notice the newspaper used GRINGO in its headline. Just imagine the FALLOUT if a US newspaper Used the term BEANER.

classic gringo cluelessness
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gibson

classic gringo cluelessness
Would you care to elaborate on that?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.