Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  9
Author: Subject: HOW TO (DRIP or SPRINKLER) IRRIGATE your Baja garden
maspacifico
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2011 at 12:56 PM

Hook......not a lot of leakage, but we have our water brought in and I hate to see it just running when it doesn't have to. We have a place in Todos Santos with city water pressure and the things work great.

Larry.....keep us updated on the Melnor. I think they might have bought out the ones that Orbit made.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-17-2011 at 01:07 PM

Emitter line. Thanks for the recommendation, David. I will look for it. This was all I could find down here at the Home Depots. Well, maybe I wasnt looking for emitter line. What manufacturers make it? With embedded emitters, I imagine it is quite a bit more expensive than the laser tubing, no?

yeah, looks like 10psi is the minimum these DIGs will accept, Pacifico. Lo siento.

[Edited on 1-17-2011 by Hook]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-17-2011 at 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Emitter line. Thanks for the recommendation, David. I will look for it. This was all I could find down here at the Home Depots. Well, maybe I wasnt looking for emitter line. What manufacturers make it? With embedded emitters, I imagine it is quite a bit more expensive than the laser tubing, no?

yeah, looks like 10psi is the minimum these DIGs will accept, Pacifico. Lo siento.

[Edited on 1-17-2011 by Hook]

If you go back to page one of this thread I talk about it and posted this photo of a 100' roll of emitterline (dripperline):

The one above is sold by Ewing Irrigation, but Home Depot and other hardware stores sell the same product made by more than one company... Usually the tube is brown instead of black to ID it easily as an emitterline vs. plain tube. However, there may still be black emitterline out there. The buldges and holes in the tube give it away! I used to work for one of the companies that makes it, Agrifim in Fresno...

I pay about $16-$20 for 100' of the 12" spacing. Not sure what the retail places sell it for. Small change for a good product that grows your food or makes your property look nice.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-17-2011 at 09:16 PM

Thanks. Will look for it when I head north in the summer. That price is not bad at all, though I suspect it is a wholesale price.

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2011 at 11:21 AM

While I am in Mexico my greenhouse is watered by the 6 in and 12 in emitter lines. The 6 in is perfect for the 6 in, 1 gallon pots, and the 12 in for the 5 gallon ones. It is pinned down in each pot with landscape staples available from Harbor Freight and elsewhere. Has worked for years, but the lazer punched hose clogged easily from the minerals in our water. Came back to dry pots, dead plants. The emitter line has worked well. Also have used it in a ring around new avocados planted out. Good stuff.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2011 at 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Swords
While I am in Mexico my greenhouse is watered by the 6 in and 12 in emitter lines. The 6 in is perfect for the 6 in, 1 gallon pots, and the 12 in for the 5 gallon ones. It is pinned down in each pot with landscape staples available from Harbor Freight and elsewhere. Has worked for years, but the lazer punched hose clogged easily from the minerals in our water. Came back to dry pots, dead plants. The emitter line has worked well. Also have used it in a ring around new avocados planted out. Good stuff.

That's the ticket!:light:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 08:25 AM

Good information DavidK !

What you do with mineral build up in the lines? Yes....a Landscaper is asking :o

In March I am installing a drip system at the San Felipe house. Should be interesting to see if any critters eat the lines :no:

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
Good information DavidK !

What you do with mineral build up in the lines? Yes....a Landscaper is asking :o

In March I am installing a drip system at the San Felipe house. Should be interesting to see if any critters eat the lines :no:

Turbulent flow/ self cleaning emitters or emitterline... not laminar flow or laser drilled (tiny holes) devices.

When water is slowed by taking the energy out via several 90° turns, the flowpath can be large and then there is no place for mineral buildup. This is how a turbulent flow emitter works. In addition, some have a diaphragm that allows for flushing with the flow is reduced by any obstruction... also makes the emitter pressure compensation (so it drips the same over a wide pressure range 5-50 psi or 10-40 psi for example. They do require minimum pressure to work.

When water is slowed by a tiny opening or gradual speed reduction, minerals can clog the outlet or flowpath. These products are cheaper but often are useless or require servicing after a short time. These include laser (lazer) drilled soaker tube, foggers, micro jets/ sprays and flag emitters. The only advantage with these is they will work at the lowest pressure, but drip less water (as they are not pressure compensating).

To combat animals seeking water and chewing the poly lines... try using a dish or heavy birdbath type bowl (on the ground) with an emitter dripping in it to keep it full... give the animals easy access to drinking water so they don't need to bite through the tubes! Also, bury all the drip lines and emitters... invisible irrigation!

[Edited on 12-13-2019 by David K]

john68
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 06:51 PM
techline problem

David--

we're in Los Barriles and my irrigation system is on city water--fairly low pressure, maybe 15-20 lbs. I tried the techline drip lines and they quickly clogged. I have a filter on the irrigation system. I'm wondering if the lines require more pressure to remain clean.

any ideas?

thanks.

John
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 11:28 PM

I would sure like to to examine an emitter in a Techline (as would Netafime engineers I bet)...

The emitter is a simple turbulent flow path i.e wide flow paths... and the inlet into the emitter is filtered, a built on screen that won't let anything bigger than the flowpath into it. Finally, the diaphram that sits on top will lift off the turbulent flow area allowing any clog to blow straight out of the emitter.

Lot's of back ups to keep it from clogging.

Some questions so I can help...

1) Are you certain it was a clog and not lack of water... i.e. did you open the end to flush the line and what did the water look like that first flushed out? If all dark and gunky, then your filtration need to be improved and your flush cleaning needs more frequency (even better, get the automatic line flusher).

2) Are you sure it is Netafim Techline and not a copy-cat product?

3) Are you sure there was at least 5 psi at the far end of the run or the highest point in the run? That means you start with a lot more than 5 psi and limit your runs or elevation gains so the pressure is never below 5 psi in the line?

So, as a wrap up: Did it ever work correctly... how "quickly" did it seem clogged... and what was it clogged with?

Netafim Techline now sold is called CV, in that it has a check valve action that takes pressure to open (prevents dirt intrusion from the soil and vacuum pockets forming by preventing the line to empty out.

I sure hope it was a lack of water pressure or lack of correct filtration (150 mesh is good or disc filters for organic contamination) as I have never had Netafim fail to work... Of course, that is up here on city water.

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2011 at 05:50 PM

To combat animals seeking water and chewing the poly lines... try using a dish or heavy birdbath type bowl (on the ground) with an emitter dripping in it to keep it full..

Smart. Txs DK

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2011 at 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
To combat animals seeking water and chewing the poly lines... try using a dish or heavy birdbath type bowl (on the ground) with an emitter dripping in it to keep it full..

Smart. Txs DK

30 years + in drip you pick up some ideas!:light:

That trick was told to me by a Borrego Springs customer who stopped coyotes from chewing the tube that way.

larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2011 at 09:33 AM

David
Well, I finally got the stuff I needed to put together my drip system. I buried the poly tubing so that in the summer time the burros and horses won't bite the tubing. Then I punched a whole in the poly tube and inserted the micro tube into the poly tube and ran it to my plants. I then put the emmiters on the end of the micro tube. Hooked it all up and turned it on with only gravity pressure. It worked. Now it remains to be seen how long it will work. I didn't know that you could put all the tubes underground, I may bury the emmitters and micro tube. Do you have a suggestion for how often I should water Bouganvillas? Right now I have it set for everyother day for 15 mins.
Larry

[Edited on 2-11-2011 by larryC]

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 2-10-2011 at 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by larryC
David
Well, I finally got the stuff I needed to put together my drip system. I buried the poly tubing so that in the summer time the burros and horses won't bit the tubing. Then I punched a whole in the poly tube and inserted the drip line into the poly tube and ran it to my plants. I then put the emmiters on the end of the drip line. Hooked it all up and turned it on with only gravity pressure. It worked. Now it remains to be seen how long it will work. I didn't know that you could put all the tubes underground, I may bury the emmitters and drip tube. Do you have a suggestion for how often I should water Bouganvillas? Right now I have it set for everyother day for 15 mins.
Larry

Years ago I installed a drip system in Silverado Canyon, the old fashioned kind with spaghetti tubing teeing off a 1/2" supply line...must have had about 100 separate tubes/emitters. The day after I finished it I got a call from the client---a horse had gotten out of the corral and come into her yard and had torn up almost all of the tubing! With the memory of fixing that system I was stoked to see Netafim's emitterline products...and they work great. Rainbird's emitterline is cheaper, works fine, but the piping is thinner and breaks easily.

One bit of advice---if you're a gardener who is always moving plants around and planting annuals you may find the emitterline is more trouble than its worth, in terms of having to work around it. If you still need a low volume/time solution go with DK's recommendation of the MPs...or if you're too lazy like me to install a PVC system (its the tree roots---we have them everywhere!) try using the agricultural whirly microsprays...they don't clog up like the smaller ones, have a radius of 8 feet to 20 feet at least. Hard to fine tune those though, you'll get some overspray...fortunately in our yard all the overspray onto the patio just goes back into the planters.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 08:27 AM

Oh yah David---meant to tell you Ewing has a store in Fort Worth---made things very convenient already having an account with them. Same blue trellis over the front desk too, only difference is the accent of the employees.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Oh yah David---meant to tell you Ewing has a store in Fort Worth---made things very convenient already having an account with them. Same blue trellis over the front desk too, only difference is the accent of the employees.

Do they say "Ya'all come back" at the end of the purchase?

I have two Ewing Irrigation outlets I use (San Marcos & Carlsbad) and rarely the San Diego store (Clairmont & 805)... They were the first distributor to market the MP Rotator when it was made by Walla Walla in Wash. Now that Hunter bought that sprinkler, and makes them in San Marcos, all distributors of Hunter products have them.

Let's hope for a better business year... I am in the middle of my first 'big' job of the year (1,000' of Netafim emitterline and 7 MP Rotators, Smart Controller with weather monitor, 5 valves)... Hope there are more coming!

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 10:38 AM

Yes, indeed let's hope for more work! I actually had work this week---tiling some outside areas---but it was too cold for masonry work---didn't get above freezing for about three days...I don't recall ever having that problem in CA!
marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 08:07 PM

keep a positive attitude David and good things will follow!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 09:38 PM

Thanks Marv, we finished the job today (wow, working on a Saturday)... and a sold another this morning (albeit a bit smaller job), plus three repairs requested, including one from a Nomad today!

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 09:41 PM

David, the drip system you put in for me is still working great! I love it! I should probably clean out the filter, but forgot how to do itl

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.