Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Info on Bahia Tortugas
Anonymous
Unregistered

eureka.gif posted on 4-26-2004 at 01:42 PM
Info on Bahia Tortugas

My buddies and I will down in LA Bay for 6 days starting next Sunday. We bring our dirt bikes and do various rides out of Bahia. We are thinking of heading south towards San Fransiquito, then cutting west through El Arco,and on to Bahia Tortugas. We have never been to Bahia Tortugas and would like some genral inforation about it before we head out. How is the gas supply? If we had to, would we be able to find overnight accomodations fairly easily? Any other info about the town would be much appreciated. Thanks,

-Josh Y
cristobal
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2004 at 05:24 PM
TORTUGAS

I was thinking of heading down to BAHIA TORTUGAS for a few days then south to SAN IGNACIO and then hit a few RANCHOS west of SANTA AGUEDA to finish out the week.
I haven't been down this year yet. I want to go before it gets too HOT.
The road from VIZCAINO to TORTUGAS is about 106 miles and is half paved. The first half is a breeze .... the second half can be difficult depending on when the last time it was graded. I have rarely been to TORTUGAS when there is no GAS.
somebody ALWAYS has GAS. There are a few hotels in town .... just ask around. The VERACRUZ ... for one is across the street from the PEMEX. Several places to eat ....
Make the trip NORTH to PUNTA EUGENIA .... 17 miles .... The road is graded by the COOP and is a nice ride thru the mountains to a campo of 100 very friendly people.
Maybe you can find a family to make you a home cooked meal. ABALONE is in season right now. They have many great ways to cook this tasty mollusk.:bounce:
There is an ICE PLANT in town .... not sure if it is working tho. Be sure to check out the PIER on the bay. Stop by the local BASEBALL field and check out a game.
LOS PINOS is a favorite stop of many of the locals. It is two miles south .... outside of town. It is where some of the young ladies in town make a little EXTRA cash after the sun goes down.
It is a 15 mile ride out to MALARRIMO fish camp NORTH-EAST of town. Road is also graded by the COOP. Stop by the COOP at around NOON and see how much ABALONE is brought in by the fishermen.:spingrin::tumble:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-26-2004 at 11:51 PM

CRISTOBAL is the #1 expert on Baja Nomad on this area (and the mountain ranches southwest of Santa Rosalia)!

I do have a link to an excellent web page on Bahia Tortugas made a couple/3 years ago by Baja Bush Pilot Bob Jones. Bob also made web pages for Punta San Francisquito and Meling Ranch. Go to my links page and then to the group of 'links to specific Baja sites': http://davidksbaja.com/davidslinks.html

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 01:02 AM

Cristobal has covered most of the pertinent info. If camping, take the road southeast from Los Pinos and find a nice place on the bay. Walk up into the mountains from the bay and you'll find the hills filled with fossils. Also, if you head to Pt. Eugenia, take the one of the forks to the ocean for some great beaches. Finally, take the ocean route south to Bahia Asuncion for some incredible pristine beaches, too.

zac

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 07:13 AM

Comeon you guys
It's been 3 years since I've been to Malarimo and Bahia Tortuga and Punta Eugenia and damn-it you are makeing me want to head out for there today. Thats the thing about these threads and posts - they really motivate me to get going.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 08:29 AM

Stick around for the summer NOMADS trip there.....
bajaloco
Nomad

Mood: wishin I was fishin

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 08:42 AM

There is a story you should check out about this trip some guys made in 2002. It sounded so cool that we went out there last year, and it is well worth it. Check out this story at www.off-road.com/atv/rides/2002malarrimomadness It includes maps, pictures, all kinds of good info...the local people are really great. We stayed in Bahia Tortugas at Motel Nancy. We drug a trailer full of atv's and totally enjoyed. The only problem I see is that It's a long trip from LA Bay to Tortugas....
cristobal
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 10:19 AM

BAJALOCO .... is right. It takes me 5 and 1/4 hours to drive from CAMP GECKO to TORTUGAS ..... and that is without a trailer and all dirt roads recently graded.:bounce::fire:
ArvadaGeorge
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 11:32 AM
Tortugas Bike ride

I have done the Tortugas Bike ride several times. The road from VIZCAINO is long wash boards and boring. The road north east out of town is sandy and fun. It follows a pipe line to the MALARRIMO road and beyond I believe you could follow it all the way to the salt flats where it intersects the Main Tortugas ?Vizcaino road.
We also have cut across the salt flat to G/N but I don?t know what the salt co. thinks about that any more
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2004 at 09:37 PM

We just finished a 866-mile tour of that exact route. Gas is available in Vizcaino/Tortugas and that's about it. Bring your own supplies. If you have vehicle problems you are absolutely on your own so be prepared. My company guided 12 riders from LA Bay, GN, Malarimmo south/west to Tortugas, Asunscion, Abreojos, El Arco, San Francisquito and back to LA Bay. It's a damn long way to cover in 6 riding days, but definitely worth it! The riders and support trucks made tracks early each day and covered some ground with stops for photos and food.

Don't go unsupported or without serious communications to a known reliable source who can provide immediate assistance.

The road from Tortugas to Asunscion has to be bypassed through a canyon exiting at Rancho Los Santitos unless you back track to Abreojos for the main washboard to San Pablo. The ranch family there is a dream. Purchase their keso especiale..I'll go back just for that.

Bring tow ropes for beach travel, mandatory 4WD, and at least two spares, along with all the other stuff Baja adventurers take.

The flotsam is awesome. But it's not easy like in the "old" days when we cruised around with Pops in the old Dodge. You have to turn over rocks, pick through all the stuff on the beach and really look for good stuff. I found many items of flotsam that are currently hanging in this office as I type here. Cool Baja stuff. Don't expect those Japanese glass floats unless you unearth something really good..but there's enough stuff floating out there for everyone here and much more!!!

Motel Nanci in Tortugas treated us like kings. Camacho is the owner, Enrique is son-in-law and Nanci his daughter. Best place in town and can direct you to anything you need. Follow the signs to Motel Nanci...you won't be disappointed.

At Abreojos you can find four star **** comfort at Chelo's Restraurant & Motel! No kidding. She speaks perfect english and serves some killer good food! We all stayed there camped out and around her place...it was awesome and they're good people.

I've traveled this area extensively for the past 18 months and it's truly old style Baja. Say no more.

I've only returned from this last adventure several days ago and it's all very fresh, so if you have questions, feel free to email me at Desertbull@Off-Road.com or as I don't often read around here. I'm willing to share all my info from the last couple years of Tortugas Peninsula travel.

That Tortugas Peninsula is off the charts for Baja Adventurers...just plain epic! Get out and go...Face your Fears & Live Life and enjoy Baja!

[Edited on 4-29-2004 by Q87]
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2004 at 08:43 AM

WOW! 866 miles!! Sounds like a great way to spend some quality time south of the border!! Thanks for the info! We are hoping to see that area this summer!!! :bounce:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2004 at 11:02 AM

Hey Matt,

And that's 866 in the dirt not including the trip south to our starting place at Doc's...epic dude, you & Barb got to do that loop.

Tim
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 4-29-2004 at 08:29 PM

Desertbull, and everyone else, thank you very much for the great info. We were a bit sketchy on going into Tortugas, but now that we are armed with some reliable info, we can't wait to get there. Desertbull, we are not doing one big loop like you did last week. We use Las Hamacas as our base camp and do day long rides. We want to check out Tortugas as our new basecamp starting next year. We want to see some new territory and areas of Baja. Maybe we'll keep LA Bay as our trip destinastion when we bring our wives/girlfriends and other non-dirt biking friends. Again thank you very much and hope to see out in the dirt soem day!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.