Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Baja in Yosemite
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 02:35 PM
Baja in Yosemite

Several have indicated some serious interest in taking Baja folks to the Sierra, and specifically to Yosemite.
I am always willing to trek off to my favorite part of the world (yep, even better than Baja) with friends, first-timers and interested folks.
Sooooooo, if there is interest in a good day trek in Yosemite let me know.
As always, my schedule is crazy, but here are some possible dates.
Friday, June 25 I am taking my cousin from Tacoma to see "our park." (even though I grew up in the shadow of Mt. Rainier) We will do Sentinel Dome, Taft Point, the Fissures and have late lunch at the Ahwanee. We would welcome guests.
Memorial Day Sat. (or possibly Monday) would be possible as would the weekend before, May 22 or 23.
I will be taking a friend from Virginia up sometime during the week of July 12-16.
We would have to decide on whether it is "a walk" or "a grunt"
If the snow is gone by Memorial Day the climb to Clouds Rest (14 mi. r.t.) or down to Tuolumne Falls (11 mi. r.t) would be nice. Both go off the Tioga Road to Tuolumne Meadows, should be few people there.
Half Dome (18 mi. r.t.) in early August is also a possible. It is a monster, have done it 4 times in last 5 years, but the absolute ultimate day hike.
Gato, are you on??
How about Jack Swords??
We can even insult the Baja Vida into going along.
We can work out logistics and dates as we go along, also the desired trails to take. Never fear, they are all good!!
** Check out our picture on the Baja hiking site....

Baja (and Yosemite) Arriba!!
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 03:31 PM

Yea,baby!

We ARE interested! Our dance card is pretty full up until late June and beyond. I will consult the calender when I get home from work and see what's what!

:cool:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

jide
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 11:10 PM

Funny you brought up the sierra nevada, I was just scanning some old slides from 98 where I took this picture of Palissade glacier (sierra nevada's biggest glacier) ......
with THE MOJAVE DESERT IN THE BACKGROUND!!

Kind of remind me of David's K "Onyx Glacier"

jide
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 11:11 PM

Most of the ice at the terminal end is under lotsa rocks, but here's another pic taken looking up, to give you a better idea.

jide
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2004 at 12:23 AM

I highly recommand this place (near Big Pine, CA)
the peaks above are 14 000 ' and best of all...

only place in the US where you can see ice and desert next to each other......
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2004 at 10:10 AM
Glacier pix

Nice fotos, Jide.
I have been on the Dana Glacier but not the Palissade, need to get up in those peaks some day before I get old (er)

So, are you coming up for "Baja in Yosemite"???
Will post dates when Gato gets his stuff together.

Baja Arriba!!
GeoRock
Nomad

Mood: Always have one

[*] posted on 4-28-2004 at 11:10 AM

Baja folks in my territory?!
If the east 120 pass is open I may join you at some point. I am camping in the valley mid-August for a week.

I have climbed Half Dome twice. It's a great hike. You should also climb Mt. Whitney. I went, for the second time, 4 years ago. Backpacked to the top, spent the night (full moon). It was great.

So are you going to remind anyone as the dates get closer on this board, or do you want email addresses?

http://reinventmyself.isagenix.com
For rapid weight loss; building of lean muscle for athletes; and overall improved health through nutritional cleansing.
jide
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2004 at 12:54 PM

hey bajarunner,
I'm taking 5 days off mid july, and one of the things I'm planning to do, is hiking to winona falls, near the south entrance, nobody around and great beautiful pools, if you guys up for it.

:cool:
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2004 at 04:00 PM
Baja in Yosemite

Hey hikers,
refer to my initial post for the best dates, however, I am somewhat flexible and can usually get away on a day's notice.
Hiway 120 will open probably by mid-May this year, as will 132, Tioga Pass through the park.
We live on Hiway 120, just east of Oakdale, literally on the corner, albeit elevated so you don't know the road is there.
Yep, climbed Mt. Whitney 4 years ago, did the overnite at the 12000 foot camp, it was August and the water bucket froze overnite and the trail was frozen the next morning. One of the most beautiful hikes imaginiable.
Winona Falls??? Don't find it on the Yosemite map, where is it?
My friends from Virginia will be here the midweek of July and we will definitely go to the Park that week, but my preference would be to go to the Tioga area, not the valley..
I will keep the dates working, send me a U2U or just a post if anyone wants to hook up for a hike anytime this Summer.
Looks like another 3 weeks or so for the high country, however.
Sounds like so far Gato, Georock, Jide are interested, I will order Baja Vida to come and maybe Jack Swords can come as well.

Baja Arriba!!
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2004 at 07:27 PM
HIKING!!!

Dick, am interested so keep the dates posted. Will do 3 - 4 seven to 14 day backpacks in the Sierra this season so why not Yosemite (unless I have to carry a bear canister).
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2004 at 07:53 PM

Dates

We have been tweaking the schedule and firming up travel plans and the house remodel (we have to move out! aarrrggghhhh) and blah blah blah. We don not think we will have a weekend free until late June (25th?) mid July (17th). Will keep working on it from this end. :saint:

MAGA

AcuDoc
Nomad

cool.gif posted on 5-4-2004 at 09:38 AM
been there done that but will again

Some of you might remember that I took my Mom to Baja last year for her first time. We hit Ensenada, BOLA, San Ignacio, Mulege, Loreto, La Paz, La Ventana and Cabo San Disneyland.
This spring we are going to Mammoth, Yosemite, Tahoe, Reno and back home here in Sun Valley. I've spent a lot of time at all the above as I lived in Yosemite for 4 years and in Tahoe for a couple.
Think Mom is trying to find out who I am. Especially as I will turn 50 on our trip. She turned 68 in La Ventana last year.
Hi to David K, Skeet etc. I've haven't posted on the board for awhile but know that I am in the bushes keeping an eye on you. haha
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2004 at 05:23 PM
Yosemite dates

We will, for sure, take a day in Yosemite on June 25 (Friday) It will be a fairly wimpy hike, my cousin will be here from Tacoma for the Sears Point NASCAR weekend and I promised to take him up Sentinel Dome and Taft Point (including The Fissures) and then to late lunch at the Ahwanee Hotel. Anyone wanting to tag along for a 'Yosemite Lite" outing just let me know and we will welcome you.
Meet us here in Oakdale or somewhere around Bridalveil Parking lot about 10 a.m.
July 16 or 17 are good dates for a longer day hike. My friends from Virginia will be here and we can go up for a long day, possibly at Tuolumne Meadows.
Let me know.

Baja Arriba!!
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2004 at 11:45 AM
Mountain passes opening

The mountain passes, 120 and 132, plus Glacier Pt. Road will all be open by May 14.
Time to lace up the boots!

Baja Arriba!!
M
Nomad

Mood: looking for joy...

[*] posted on 5-5-2004 at 11:59 AM
I GET NEW HIP ON MAY 19!!!!

I should be very mobile in a month to 6 weeks. BHL and I were talking about a mountain vacation to GET ME THE **&&^%%$e%$#%$ OUT OF THE HOUSE, before I pull someones testicles over their face. eh hm, sorry, little stir crazy here. If this is still floating around end on June early July, We are a go!
BHL & M
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2004 at 01:49 PM
Hip Hiker

My orthopod doc got a new hip a few years ago in his early 50's, then climbed Half Dome and Mt. Rainier and still skis.
So much for the excuses.
Yeah, come on up the last Friday in June and take our wimpy Yosemite trek, it is sort of a figure 8 so if the first 3 miles up Sentinel Dome wears you out you can retreat, otherwise, make the second loop out to Taft Point.
Let me know if you are interested.
Bad hip, or no, you can still make lunch at the Awahnee??? Yes???

Baja Arriba!!
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2004 at 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
We will, for sure, take a day in Yosemite on June 25 (Friday) .
July 16 or 17 are good dates for a longer day hike.
Let me know.

Baja Arriba!!

Above dates duly noted at Casa elgatoloco. We will be in touch.

MAGA

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2004 at 05:56 AM
Doc and others

Wow! What a Thread!
Good to see you back Doc!
If you will allow this ole Boy to reflect on the past:

Went over Tigoa Pass in 1947 in my Dad's 1938 Plymouth. My brother and I riding the running Boards,when the engine got Hot we would jump off and put Rocks behind the wheels as "We had no Brakes"!!

One of the most beautiful Trips I know is to go through the Pass on the first Day it is Open,snow 30 Feet on each side.

Lived in Bishop, Calif for three Years,going over the pass twice a Month to Fresno Calif. for Dental Work,Bears all over and very few People!

Worked for Yosemite Park and Curry Co. as a "House Detctive, Ski Patrolman, watched the "FireFall" every night,lived in the Employee Tents,had "Beach parties on the River with "Gin-Soaked Watermelons, with College Kids from all over the United States.

I wish all of you a "Good Trip"

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"

RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 5-6-2004 at 06:02 AM
Skeet....

Skeet!!! Didn't forget about you. Wasn't available since just after your request about helping you with the posting of your photos on BN. I'm heading out again, but will be back maybe later today or early next week.

Take care, and yes I do want to help you.

RandyMac

==============================================
Ole' Irish saying (Gaelic): 'Go neirigh an bothar leat, go mbeidh an gaoth choiche sa droim agat, is go mbeidh tu thuas ar neamh leath-uair roimh is eol don diabhal go bhuil tu marbh'.... OR 'May the road rise up to meet you, May the wind always be at your back, and May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead'

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2004 at 06:03 AM
Sunrise over the Sierra

After finishing the previous Post,I arose for another cup of Coffee, looking out my Kitchen window at a Beautifull Sunrise over the Sierras and Yosemite!!
It is going to be another Great Day!
Skeet/loreto
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.