BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: access to toll road from SY Crossing -- DETOUR!!!
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 6-29-2008 at 10:45 AM

Oh and on the way back just stay on the same road straight calle 2a takes you all the way to the border.

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 6-29-2008 at 10:46 AM

You've made this way too complicated. The first post and map was perfect.

The closure of the cuoto was for a few hours friday afternoon only as far as I know.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2008 at 12:23 PM

I am bumping this thread because it is important to anyone coming down.

We crossed last Friday, June 27 early in the morning and we were not prepared----suddenly we saw our turn blocked and there we were in the far right lane.

I have no idea how we did it, but we managed to weave our way through part of Tijuana and ended up on the toll road.

Considered the free road, but got lost looking for that one---need to carry all maps provided on this forum.

Oh, it is really beautiful down here right now.

Diane

[Edited on 6-30-2008 by jdtrotter]

BajaSerg
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-30-2008 at 01:50 PM

Hey thanks for the info, we generally come into TJ at night after work, good to know so we don’t get lost…..so it’s back to the old way again…..
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 6-30-2008 at 02:00 PM
Better Way to Go

There is an easier way than going through Centro / Downtown. Stay in the 2nd lane from the right, keeping in the first lane right of the concrete barrier divider from the Centro lanes and then take the first left access ramp which leads back to the Ave. Internacional heading west.

Here is a webpage if you want to bookmark a reference:

http://www.bajagringo.com/BorderAccessDirections.htm

This route is a lot faster and less confusing than weaving through downtown. If you miss the access ramp on the left you will end up on the Via Rapida heading east. If that happens, take the first exit off the Via Rapida, to Paseo de los Heroes, make a right and follow it down to the ramp to Rosarito on your right which will connect to the same access ramp to the Ave. Internacional.

[Edited on 6-30-2008 by BajaGringo]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 6-30-2008 at 02:12 PM

i thought ftd said Ave International is closed

i'm confused

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 6-30-2008 at 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
i thought ftd said Ave International is closed

i'm confused

The Ave Internacional east is closed at the extreme eastern end before the light. The route I just posted was still accessible as of early this morning when I last drove across the border...
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2008 at 04:49 PM

Yeah, I crossed last Tuesday and just went the old way, stay in 3rd lane and do that loop thing! Simple!!
guadalupe
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2008 at 09:13 PM

Very nice map mr. baja gringo and you are correct. That is the best way to reach the coast and toll road when crossing the border at San Ysidro right now with the construction in progress. I don't think that left lane access to the Internacional you mentioned is marked in case someone is looking for a sign.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-30-2008 at 10:57 PM

You got to be kidding! :lol:

Ferna, really bad to traverse downtown TJ just to get south! Please check BajaGringo's route when you can, becaue if it is open in one direction (west/ southbound) that would be much better. THANKS!

Naturally, if I must get south along the Pacific coast, it is Blvd. 2000 from the Otay border... a breeze! However, let's call it a 'daylight only' route so the banditos don't attack us!

I think since there is no El Rosario Festival this year, we will head north for our July vacation? Bob and Susan's invitation is mighty tempting though!!!:o:yes:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2008 at 01:26 PM

I was in a meeting with Baja Tourism last week and was told they expect the construction work to be done by Sept-Oct. Let's hope they can get it done close to this date and that they fix everything.
Ted

Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 7-2-2008 at 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MexicoTed
I was in a meeting with Baja Tourism last week and was told they expect the construction work to be done by Sept-Oct. Let's hope they can get it done close to this date and that they fix everything.
Ted

Being Mexico, I assume you mean Sept-Oct of 2009? :lol:

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 7-2-2008 at 07:40 AM

Thanks FDT...maps are going to be helpfull......

Thanks to all for the information...

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
sonoraed

[*] posted on 7-7-2008 at 09:46 PM

I went thru the border at 5pm 7-3-08 with a truck and tent trailer and took the 3rd street route with no problem.

camped at Popotla that night and several people came late said the next morning they really got lost in downtown TJ:(

SonoraEd
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 7-8-2008 at 11:22 AM

This is actually not a new route, we took the loop for decades before they built that little bridge ramp to the right that is closed now.

3rd through downtown TJ???? You gotta be kidding. You're just in the gautlet even more.

The free road over the hill is quick and easy, both ways and prevents being detoured to Otay when northbound.

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-8-2008 at 11:36 AM

The detour was easy going south. Just go slow and follow the signs.
A bit trickier going north. Got a little disoriented but got back on track pretty quick.
Did both at night too.
No problem and I wasn't even wearing my "Nightbuck" outfit.

[Edited on 7-8-2008 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 7-10-2008 at 11:05 AM

GringoGuy's map is the way to go now, since they have reopened the internacional, sorry, wasn't aware of it till I traveled it yesterday, I was just going on hear-say. Keep the maps I posted in case it happens again, you'll know the way.

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2008 at 09:53 PM

ORANGE SIGNS.

In Mexico? Really? Great signage today on trip back from San Diego airport at TJ border after picking up mom.

ORANGE SIGNS overhead at TJ crossing south and to "PLAYAS de TJ/ENSENADA". Thanks BG for map, so ez, even I could navigate it.

Took roll road only because my mom had already had a long trip from Orlando, FL. Otherwise, FREE ROAD is the best way to go.

ALSO, regular gas seemed plentiful everywhere up on down from Ensenada to TJ. Lots of patrons at all Pemex stations.
I appreciate all NOMAD feedback on fuel, as I feel Pemex will fail in time without international investment.

OTAY wait north was only 50 minutes at NOON today, though the traffic was backed up south of the stores. It interests me that length of line and time of line have little or no relationship.

Lots more military show on highways today. I suspect this is more show than go, but, mejor que nada.

Most important detail of my trip norte, was peanut sale at WMART/Eastlake. This is humongous for my beer drinking guests.

[Edited on 7-11-2008 by bajadock]

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.