Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gonzaga Trip Countdown
Big Al
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2004 at 12:48 PM
Gonzaga Trip Countdown

OK it is coming down to the wire. I am leaving for Gonzaga Bay Friday at noon. Almost everything is packed and ready to go. Seems like I am taking way too much stuff, but I don't want to be without anything. I am planning on taking the road real slow, I have a utility trailer with a 15' klamath attached that will be trailing behind. Any last minute suggestions? I have a tone of tackle and gear. Food and water supplies seem like too much. How many miles is it and how long should I plan from San Diego via Puertocitos?

Last minute driving and fishing pointers are appreciated.

Thanks,

Big Al
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2004 at 06:52 AM

good luck AL, give us a report when you get back.:coolup:
Nikon
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2004 at 08:24 AM

You don't mention whether your approach is from north or south. North is more brutal to your trailer, you might already be aware of that. Anyway, make sure you have spare U Bolts for the trailer springs. Everyone arrives saying their U Bolts broke. If you go slow and spare yourself a breakdown, you will have spent the same amount of extra time, and you at least won't have to lie on your back under your trailer in the dust and sun.
Big Al
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2004 at 10:50 AM

4Baja - I just picked up some extra memory for the digital camera so a few pics and a full report will follow when I return. How is your construction coming along? I may be down ther in June with the family for a little fishing and R&R.

Nikon - I am headed down through San Felipe and out through the South. Great advice on the ubolts and driving easy. I don't know if I have time to go find some spares, but I will be fairly loaded down, so I I will enjoy the scenery and take it slow. like you said slow versus fast with a breakdown, you are better off slow.

Any recommendations on airing down the tires? What pressure should I air down to? The Grand Cherokee has 16" wheels and the trailer has 14"
bajabum
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2004 at 03:30 PM

Assuming you are driving out hwy 8 through Calexico you can figure about 4-5 hours to get to San Felipe. How long he rest of the drive is depends on how many fish tacos you eat when you stop at SF and the rush hour traffic between SF and Puertocitos (LOL). With a utility trailer in tow figure another 1-2 hours to get to Puertocitos and another 3-4 hours to Alfonsinas at Gonzaga. The road between SF and Purtocitos is wicked with pot holes, watch out! Deflating your tires probably wont be a concern as you will be Traveling veeery slow once you pass Puertocitos and lowering air preasure wont help much. there are fairly long stretches of straight, flat road where you can get up on top of the bumps and hit 50-60 mph if your not towing anything, but you are, so enjoy a few cold ones, keep it slow and be patient. If you think the drive in is too tough, head back out the other way when you leave, to chapala and back up hwy 1 through Ensenada.

You can launch your boat behind Alfonsias in the back bay but wont be able to get in or out at low tide, so plan accordingly.
Try fishing the NE corner of the bay with cut bait (needlefish) on the bottom in about 70ft of water, I have caught (and of course released) alot of big totoaba there and trolling Rapalas at Punta Final has always been good for tails. the wind is always a concern there, especially in the late afternoon, keep an eye on conditions and its a good idea to spend the first day on shore to see a full 24 hour cycle. If the winds blowing get out and back early and troll along the shore line out in front of Papa Fernandez, north of the bay. Its usually a little more sheltered and spotted bass, halibutt, sierra, cudas & Triggers can be caught. a few hooks, 1-3 oz lead and some Krocs, trolling jigs like rapalas and mirrolures along with a handfull of plastic swimbaits should be all you need (maybe a little iron too!).

You can never bring too much stuff, you can only bring too little! If I drove down in a 40 ft semi Im sure there would still be things I wished I had!

Have fun.
Nikon
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2004 at 03:41 PM

To air down makes for a more comfortable ride, to air down too much makes for flat tires, God's gift to Baja. I never go below 30 with 15 inch rims. Folks who go to 20 are asking for it and frequently get it.
Nikon
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2004 at 03:46 PM

Al, check U2U
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2004 at 06:06 AM

i'll be there in june with the whaler and the construction is comeing along good. i air down for speed and comfort but youll be toweing a boat so you wont be driveing to fast so adjust your air to your load in the truck. good luck:coolup:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.