Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: La Diferencia Restaurant in Tijuana
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 4-28-2004 at 08:18 PM
La Diferencia Restaurant in Tijuana

Two weeks ago, the Growling Gabacho and I ate at La Diferencia for the first time.

Since then, he?s had two businesss lunches and one business dinner there. That?s high praise because he doesn?t like TJ at all, he usually goes in for what is needed and leaves as soon as possible.

The d?cor of La Diferencia is all about classic Spanish-Moroccan influences. Everything exterior is unpretentious, but once you are inside, wow. A gorgeous and gracious hacienda reception area opens up into an interior courtyard dining area. Private dining rooms with windows and French doors line the perimeter of the interior. A tranquil Spanish fountain stands in the center of the space, drawing your eyes up to the ceiling, painted with a beautiful sky mural, while brightly colored songbirds chirp from cages suspended from the mezzanine.

We were welcomed and served with a sincere warmth and four-star professionalism. The menu is gourmet Mexican cuisine, and the chef-owner came to our table to greet us and ask how we were enjoying our meal.

Every plate was beautifully presented and decorated, but I wasn?t blown away bymy choices; I had a squash blossom pastry appetizer that was bland, and the huitlacoche-stuffed calamari was also bland and the squid was tough, but, it came with a basket of exquisite mini-brioches accompanied by tamale twist wrappers containing sweet butter and the GG raved about his ceviche appetizer and his entr?e, a mildly spiced chicken breast steamed in banana leaves that came with a basket of fresh, homemade blue corn tortillas.

Desserts are beautifully presented on a sample tray full of temptations of all kinds of beautiful layered pastries. I had fresh cheese with membrillo ate (a stiff jelly made of quince) and guava puree, heaven! The GG liked his flan and the very good double espresso.

Oh, by the way, they have an incredible menu of tequilas. The card is on your table and has about fifty choices (just guessing), but there are many that I have never seen before on a restaurant list. I took the menu with me, so if you want the list, I'll be happy to detail it on a separate posting.

La Diferencia is located on Boulevard Sancho Taboada, very shortly past the signed, stoplight intersection of Boulevard Abelardo Rodriguez. On the right, it is a modest blue grey hacienda with an inconspicuous sign. The driveway is before the building, so be prepared!

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2004 at 08:41 AM

We have heard good things about La Diferencia. Thanks for your take. We will try it soon!

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 5-1-2004 at 10:59 AM

Thanks for the report. I haven't been there previously.

The timing of your report was interesting tp me, as I have a business-related social gathering there this week.

There's another review at:
http://hungryhiker-tj.com/cgi-bin/HHG/HHGDb.pl?Rest_ID=59

--
Doug

[Edited on 5-1-2004 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 5-1-2004 at 07:18 PM
I think that you will be pleased

The Growling Gabacho had a business meeting there yesterday with a group of business people that flew in from D.F. and Hermosillo and returned six hours later.

The restaurant had no advance warning. We choose it, at the last minute, because of our recent pleasant experiences and the fact that it was convenient for the return our guests to the airport.

Our party was ushered into one of the private rooms lining the courtyard and the service was flawless and the food was great.

The total bill for this was around $175.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 5-2-2004 at 09:09 PM

Doug,
Now I understand why you put your nose up when I took you to 'Mimi's Cafe to discuss my new website. When it is finished it will be your turn to treat and this would be a wonderful way to go. Ha Ha

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 5-2-2004 at 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
Now I understand why you put your nose up when I took you to 'Mimi's Cafe...
:P

Certainly not that way at all. Some of my finest meals have consisted of just basics, like tortillas, bread, rice and beans... and once, some canned caracol that we heated up in La Purisima.

More important than the food, is the company at the meal.... and Bernie, I greatly enjoyed the time with you at Mimi's. Thank you.

Next time, it may have to be Wahoo's again though!!!:

http://www.wahoos.com

:yes: :lol:

--
Doug

[Edited on 5-3-2004 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.