Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  15
Author: Subject: MULEGE MIRROR - "Remember When?"
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 7-19-2008 at 06:45 PM
MULEGE MIRROR - "Remember When?"

As of Dec. 9th, 2013 all photos in this thread have been restored as originally posted. This was due to a major snafu with Photobucket. And I want to tell you, it was a helluva lot of hard, tedious work! :rolleyes:

I hope you enjoy these Mulege scenes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIRST POST - SAM'S PIZZA PARLOR

As Mulege is my adopted and loved Baja home town, I figure to be posting photos of this village until it's dirt nap time. To make things easier on my memory banks, and not hijack anybody else's threads, I will post my photos, comments, rants, and reports here. Life will become muy facile.

DONNA MOE'S PIZZA & SAM'S PLACE

To begin....Many years ago we had a great little newspaper in Mulege..called theMulege Mirror. Sadly, it is no more, but in remembrance of a fun read I will dedicate this thread to the publication. It was widely read amongst tourists, expats, locals, snowbirds, FBI, IRS, ATF, etc.

Who knows?...maybe we can breathe some life back into it and it's authors. Kind of recapture that other laid-back era. Odd..a little tear just ran dripped off my chin as I typed that. Opps, not a tear...just foam from this weird Newport marina micro-brewery. Hope Toshiba laptops are beer-proof.

Now I always got my copy of the Mirror at Donna Moe's Pizza at the plaza in downtown Mulege. Had breakfast there and caught up on the absolutely true gossip in the editorials and 'Maude Tells All' column ...or at least until it was time to watch amazing Zulema walk the square. There were certain 'must do' duties in my day back then and this was #1. Ach, it was always very dry work..but Sam was a caring host and ready with a cool one.

Here's a photo from the dim past at Donna Moe's. A place that was a lot like "CHEERS."

Donna Moe's Pizza was located across from the city square and this bougainvilla.

I was in town a few weeks back and took this melancholy photo of Donna Moe's. Now that brought a real tear.

Who wants to start up a breakfast bar? I'll talk to Zulema.

[Edited on 7-17-2015 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
cabobaja
Nomad

Mood: Smiling

[*] posted on 7-19-2008 at 07:14 PM

Pompano..............great photos! Ah, the memories. Yes, Sam always had a cold one. He started about 10am, or was it 9am. Spent many hours at Donna Moes and more hours on his porch at his house on the river road. I have never seen or met anyone that could drink more beer than Sam. Donna, another story. May she RIP. Was in Mulege last week and noticed the empty shell of what once was a place gossip and laughter.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2008 at 07:47 PM
REALLY OLD wall top burglar defense.

"Old times are not forgotten."

This particular style of wall cap is not in vogue anymore. So much blood to wash off....tsk, tsk.

Stark and to the point. If you used this defense in the USA, you might as well just sign over the house to the perps and save yourself the lawsuit. :yes:

[Edited on 12-7-2013 by Pompano]

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2008 at 08:12 PM
The oldest continously-running hotel/cantina in southern Baja.

The Hacienda.

Don't you just love those places which offer a quick glimpse of cool places within...a pleasant spot to quafe that thirst and sit in the shade of a bougainvilla tree.

I once wrote love poems in this safe haven...infused with several Cuba 'Communistas.' Let's see if I can remember a few...."There was a young girl from Exeter, so beautiful men craned their necks at her, even one so brave as to take out and wave..."

Strange..I never heard back from the New Yorker on any of those..ah, well, screw them city slickers...I'm a fisherman at heart.

4.jpg - 34kB

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2008 at 08:50 PM

I think we are in for a nice thread here, Roger. All Baja nostalgia appeals to me, and I often wish we had visited many years before our first trip down in 2001. I've wondered how it might be to stay at the Hacienda. It looks muy elegante, and those barely seen places behind walls are so intriguing. And what exactly is a Cuba "communista"? A person? An icy rum drink?

There are still many bottle walls around Loreto, and some seem to be new. I prefer them to the razor wire we also see. They are colorful, and we can see the glass as bright decoration if we choose to. The intent of razor wire is not at all ambiguous.

cabobaja
Nomad

Mood: Smiling

[*] posted on 7-19-2008 at 09:50 PM

Oh yes...............the Hacienda. Only hotel I have stayed in in Mulege for the past 30 something years. A little run down, but the AC works, bed is comfy, shower is hot with great pressure and the price is right. Betrize always has a welcome smile. Met Bajaboy there????, 94-95-96? Hell, I cannot remember. What year was it Zac? Anyway, 2 single studs, drinking all the suds. Those were the days.
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 7-19-2008 at 09:54 PM

The Hacienda...the best breakfast in town...Sam, Jungle Jim, Muk

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 7-19-2008 at 10:04 PM
A Communista con Cubana (cigar)...

140px-ChewithCigar.jpg - 7kB

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2008 at 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
I think we are in for a nice thread here, Roger. All Baja nostalgia appeals to me, and I often wish we had visited many years before our first trip down in 2001. I've wondered how it might be to stay at the Hacienda. It looks muy elegante, and those barely seen places behind walls are so intriguing. And what exactly is a Cuba "communista"? A person? An icy rum drink?

There are still many bottle walls around Loreto, and some seem to be new. I prefer them to the razor wire we also see. They are colorful, and we can see the glass as bright decoration if we choose to. The intent of razor wire is not at all ambiguous.

Right on, Paula...Those are the kind of semi-hidden places we like to explore when traveling to new destinations. We did stay at the Hacienda for a couple of days back in 1972 and then again when the house was being torn apart. I remember it was about $4 a night the first time. Not the Ritz, but clean and a welcome bed, shower, etc. Tons of character and charm in the inner sactum. They still brought cattle in until quite recently, historically-speaking... to auction them off..the watering well/trough is still there. The effect is still comfy, but popularity comes and goes with each new influx of northeners. A French bunch made that place rock in the 80's! Some great times and fiestas.

On the drink name...My Dad started it for me...renaming the old fashioned drink, Cuba Libre, a Cuba Communista and sometimes a Cuba Pintada (meaning stained Cuba) which has club soda and just enough cola to stain it...Dad's play on Castro's staining of Cuba and also eventually taking away the 'libre' part from my Dad's close friends there. We were there as a family when Castro took over the country in 1959.

The glass-shard walls are not found too much around here anymore...but one amigo did put them on his hill house near Posada a few years back. They are close to the highway and had several breakins, until he imbedded glass in new cement. Upon returning after a trip north, they found a pool of dried blood below...ouch. I would imagine the colorful bits would make a nice lightshow in the right moonlight or lamplight. I agree that concertina wire is for prisons.

Care to have a Cuba sometime? Bring Don...they're on me.

Cuba_Libre.jpg - 6kB

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2008 at 10:31 PM
Hola Ray....A Communista con Cubana (cigar)...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexray

I love that photo. Always reminds me of a Navy Admiral caught smoking a Cuban cigar at a Washingtonn function. A young reporter approached and asked the admiral how he could justify smoking the illegal contraband from Fidel's communistic Cuba.

His reply..."Young lady, I think of it as burning his crops to the ground."

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2008 at 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rpleger
The Hacienda...the best breakfast in town...Sam, Jungle Jim, Muk

Ricardo.....I could not agree more. It was a good reason to drive into town. Muk, Jaime, and Sam were something else, weren't they?

Hey..we need a good sidewalk breakfast place for next winter. Get someone interested.

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 7-19-2008 at 10:42 PM
Hola, Roger...

...Alas, these days I'm confined to 'burning the crops to the ground' of Honduras...I'm told they use smuggled 'seeds' from the Cuban hinter lands to cultivate some equally wonderful Stogies....:spingrin:

Ah life us good, but I still miss that Arena de Concepcion between my toes!

Loved you tales...keep em' coming when you get the chance...

Ray

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
fulano
Banned

[*] posted on 7-19-2008 at 11:33 PM

Pompano: Once you scan in these old photos, just about any old photo image software will clean them up for you. I ran your top photo through the automatic function on Microsoft Photo Editor (it comes with older versions of Microsoft Office). Check out the difference:

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 7-20-2008 at 05:58 AM

What about the old John and Sue days of Donna Moes! Those were a riot up on the top deck drinking triples with John, or having Juan Carlos bartending and only charging about one out of 3 drinks!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2008 at 07:21 AM

egads, fulano...that photo-editing really does make quite a difference. I just got a new Toshiba laptop so will hunt around for that feature. Gracias..a LOT of my photos need help a little sprucing-up.

Mike...did John and Sue drink? Every time I went 'up top' during the short time Frisbee and Sue were there it was a church social. The cookies and hot chocolate were always good. Carlos was good, and learned his trade at the old Casablanca across the square many years earlier, when Pico de Oro was in town.

This photo shows where their old bar used to be...atop Sammy's Pizza. Long gone now.

Looks a bit forlorn now, doesn't it?

[Edited on 12-7-2013 by Pompano]

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2008 at 08:27 AM

Stayed at the Hacienda 3-4 nights in 97 while returning from trip to Cabo. Great spot.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 7-20-2008 at 09:20 AM

??did John and Sue drink? Every time I went 'up top' during the short time Frisbee and Sue were there it was a church social. The cookies and hot chocolate were always good. Carlos was good, and learned his trade at the old Casablanca across the square many years earlier, when Pico de Oro was in town. ??

well no, actually they did not.
you see they were Normans on a mission representing Rev. Ewing's reknowned "Church by Mail" originally based in Normandie.

of which i am also an agent able to confer rights of counsel and ministration to anyone interested in sending $19.95 plus S&H to my paypal account.
with it you'll receive a complete package of ordination, or is it ordaination - hell i forgot - but the thing is once you are prefected in the rights you don't have to pay income taxes. But wait!! there's more! - act now and i'll double the offer - you get TWO minister kits plus a sacramental blender.

so no, they didn't drink....much.:biggrin::biggrin:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2008 at 09:25 AM

MIKE..!! You need to join us on this walkabout. We need a good point man...and this is a land of heathens. :yes:

The Frisbees...NOW it is coming back...those guys did drink...and some days I could see my house from way up there.

Lindalou
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2008 at 02:23 PM

Pompano, your pictures and stories sure know how to cheer up a pi$$y board. Thanks......Linda
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2008 at 03:01 PM

"Care to have a Cuba sometime? Bring Don...they're on me. "

We'd love to, Pompano! A Cuba libre has always been one of my favorites, since long before I was old enough to have one. I was in Havana in 1959 too, on 26 de Julio no less. It was an amazing street party with almost all of Cuba crammed into the center of the city, and Fidel speaking for hours from a rooftop, high above the crowd. Too bad things went south-- your father had it right with the "communista". How does this relate to Baja? Well... the local Spanish can be difficult to understand in both places.

Keep the stories and pictures coming! This is enjoyable reading.

Pages:  1    3  ..  15

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.