Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  10    12    14  15
Author: Subject: MULEGE MIRROR - "Remember When?"
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 12-23-2011 at 09:28 AM

Did he weld that aluminum with a stick welder??? I have a TIG welder and it is difficult to weld with that. Always good to know someone who can weld aluminum.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-18-2012 at 08:09 PM
Felipe Fontes - A great mechanic in Mulege

My '99 Dodge 2500 has almost 400,000 miles on it and, like me, things are starting to show some small signs of wear.

So, starting from the bottom and working my way up, I found that the upper and lower ball joints needed replacing. I was SD bound and bought the parts for my year & model at an El Cajon auto parts store. (I'll be stopping in to see them in a couple weeks...)

Anyway, I knew from the get-go that I would have the labor done in Baja..and most likely in my home village of Mulege. But even here in Mulege, competition has widened the field a bit for getting the best bang for your bankroll.

The work:

The bids are for installation (labor only) of 2 upper ball joints and 2 lower ball joints on a 3/4 ton 4X4 diesel pickup. Easy access, a straight-forward and fairly quick job.....mas o menos.

The bids:

I had only 3 stops in mind for my mechanic...and already had made my choice of those.

But, being a success at.. whatever I did .. in that other life, you do your homework.

- First, I went to Marcos under the bridge, who is a good brake, drive train, and mechanical genius...but nobody home..nada personas. I know him and his work..great stuff.

- Next I went to Oscar on the ice-plant road and showed him the parts and the job. I have known him since he started his business, and have given him many jobs over the years. I have no major complaints. Everything worked and nothing fell off...not right away, anyway.

Oscar looks under the pickup and bids $1,600 pesos. ...or about $120.

I told him I'd think it over and left...wondering, "Hmm..that's a wee bit higher than I thought it would be locally...but not out of sight, and if that's Oscar's bid, so be it."

- Felipe on the north edge of town's highway. I drove north up the highway about one hundred yards and talked to Felipe Fontez, a mechanic who learned his trade under his father, Chuey, who passed away a couple years ago from cancer.

I had a personal reason to see Felipe and knew I'd be doing business with him...again.

Here's why: Good repetive business in not just about production, timeline, and price...it's about ethics and trust, too.

---A slight 'anecdotal detour' with free popcorn... to explain:

His father, Chuey, had done me a huge favor many years ago...in 1991. My CJ-5 Jeep had a busted transmission, and I talked with the very few mechanics in Mulege who could do the replacement work at that time. Chuey impressed me the most... and so I went to San Diego to bring one back for him to install per his bid..a fairly 'substantial' bid, but acceptable and okay by me.

A few days later I returned from San Diego with the tranny and delivered the whole shooting match to Chuey. Felipa was an apprentice helping out at that time...learning from his father. Chuey said the Jeep would be ready in 2 or 3 days. We shook hands and I said 'Fine with me'..and drove away in my pickup.

The very next day Chuey shows up at mi casa in Coyote Bay. He is sad to tell me that while the Jeep was sitting overnight in the yard by his shop, some burro stole my radio/tape deck from the dash.

Chuey is very stern/serious and said my transmission would be installed free of charge. I knew enough about Chuey not to insult him by insisting on paying, but still offered my help in finding the perp ...and together we could cut his cajones off. Chuey grinned and we had a cold Pacifico to seal the deal.

From that day on, I busted things more often than usual..and took them all to Chuey to fix. We had become good amigos.... plus he loved the biscotti my wife, Felipa, made for him.)

And today, his son, Felipe, shows there's proof to the old saying.. "The seed does not fall far from the tree."

Back to the ball joint bids:

Having left Oscar's, I look up Felipe at his garage on the highway's north edge of Mulege and show him the same ball joints job. He says..Drive it in here...aqui..and points to his garage pit. I did and he gets busy underneath..banging away. He comes topside, looks over my San Diego parts..and all business, says.. "$800 pesos, Rogelio, but some of these parts will not work. The upper ones are okay, but the lower ones are not right."

$800 pesos = $60 USD

Pleased with the amount, but NOT so pleased with O'Reilly Auto Parts in El Cajon, I said, "Sounds like a good price, Felipe, but now... where do we find the right ball joints? They're almost impossible to find here in Mulege."

Felipe is a serious kind of guy, MOST of the time. Now he says this with a faint smile, "Mulege has joined the world these days, Rogelio..Marcos has them."

Ay Carumba! Mi amigo, Marcos, has them right here in Mulege!!?? And part of the reason I drove 1400 miles to San Diego and back...was to get them?...Arrghh. (Well, okay..some doctor-types wanted to prod me, too..but still, those ball joints were high on my list!...Go figure, huh?)

The rest of the ball joint account:

After a couple 'take out and try em' parts attempts, Felipa finds the exact balls I needed ...for the lower joints. All of us involved.... Felipe, Marcos, Marcos' wife, Maria, and yours truly..all had a good-natured time finding those ball joints. Actually, it was a Hoot!

The job is finished.

Now that we finally had the correct parts, Felipe dropped me off at home...saying the pickup would be ready manana..and drove it out the very next morning.

I got to test-drive it for 20 miles before paying Felipe his $800 peso bid. No add-ons.

I could not get him to accept any more dinero for all the extra trouble he had went to getting the right parts. I did get him to accept a couple of Xmas presents for his family, which is something else again. (His wife makes a great cake!)

And that's all..folks. If you need a good, honest, and very fair-priced mechanic...put Felipe in your mechanics book as an expert..and ethical..mechanic.

Felipe Fontes did a lot for me...un-asked... and with no concern for any extra payment, other than his honor remaining intact. I can assure you, Felipe...it's intact.

Just like his father's. RIP Chuey.

[Edited on 4-11-2014 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2012 at 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ridge
Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano...an El Cajon auto parts store..O'Reilly's...I'll be stopping in to see them in a couple weeks...

..."...some of these parts will not work...lower ones are not right."..."
Personal anecdote: a can of SeaFoam was almost twice the price at my local O'Reilly's as it was at

Carquest Auto Parts

Well, ridge...that's rather odd, because their low prices were what prompted me to buy those ball joints at O'Reilly's.

O'Reilly's were almost half the price of all I called..including Kragen, Carquest, Pep Boys, and NAPA.

Too bad that thier research on the RIGHT parts didn't pan out.

Oh well... C'est la vie...and move on.

p.s. Remember to give my amigo Felipe a try if you development any trouble with your foam.

[Edited on 1-19-2012 by Pompano]

bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 1-19-2012 at 06:56 AM

Great story Roger! Actually the quote you got in CA was a little high. Flat rate for ball joints on a Dodge 2500 or 3500 4x4 is about 8 hours, or $640.00, at $80.00 per hour.

Now, the part in the picture shown is a tie rod end, did you replace those or the ball joints. Much tougher job as you need to remove the hub and bearing, axle and knuckle assembly to press the old ball joints out and the new ones in.

I owned a brake and front end shop in CA for a long time. I would never consider that line of work in Baja, they work way too cheap.:o

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2012 at 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass
Great story Roger! Actually the quote you got in CA was a little high. Flat rate for ball joints on a Dodge 2500 or 3500 4x4 is about 8 hours, or $640.00, at $80.00 per hour.

Now, the part in the picture shown is a tie rod end, did you replace those or the ball joints. Much tougher job as you need to remove the hub and bearing, axle and knuckle assembly to press the old ball joints out and the new ones in.

I owned a brake and front end shop in CA for a long time. I would never consider that line of work in Baja, they work way too cheap.:o

bajabass...I was staying at a RV resort in Santee (Padre Lakes Park)and called many auto repair places found in the yellow pages. Most were in the $700 plus range. I guess Santee is higher..for some reason?

Nice call on the tie rod v.s. ball joint..that photo is from the tie rod repair work on my motorhome south of Salt Lake City back in October. I have pics of the Dodge ball joints somewhere, but couldn't find them after scanning thru my files, so added these to the post. My Dodge parts are regular Mopar parts. Those photos are here somewhere, by Zues, and I WILL find them, sooner or later.

My point was just to show a part to help with this account of Felipe.

Thanks for the response to my thread. Hope it helps support the local economy.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2012 at 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ncampion
Did he weld that aluminum with a stick welder??? I have a TIG welder and it is difficult to weld with that. Always good to know someone who can weld aluminum.

Sorry ncampion..just saw your question...

Yes, Ramon used a stick welker.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2012 at 08:06 PM
RV PARTS AND BUS SHIPMENTS

BAJA SUR
- FINDING RV PARTS
- SHIPPING BY BUS

I needed an RV part…and needed it sooner than my next scheduled trip to San Diego, so I began checking on Baja Sur Craigslist and Baja Nomads.

Sure enough, Nomads provided the answer for me right away. Kudos, Nomads, always the best.

Wahoo RV was recommended in San Jose del Cabo…..Hmm??..sounds kinda familiar…aha…

The memory lights sputtered to life and I remembered Wahoo RV owner, Chuck Schmuck, from many years ago. (Not a name one can easily forget.) He had picked up a busted gas fridge at mi Coyote casa, took it to Wahoo RV in SJC, and returned it a couple weeks later ... ready to make our Pacificos chilly cold.

I was a little ahead of the ‘repair game’ this time, however, as another amigo was on hand to tell me what parts were needed… in advance of any technician’s visit. T'was non other than ‘Fast Eddy’, a perennial camper who rents a Burros Beach palapa and who owns a RV dealership and service center in Alberta.

HEY! NEWS FLASH! Eddy also heads up and plays drums in a funky-good band known close and narrow as ‘Fast Eddy & The Slow Learners’ and plays at some Baja hot spots like Ana’s.

We return you now to RV Parts and Shipping by Bus:

My RV trouble was the motorhome's john-head-water closet –TOILET. Somehow somebody had put way, way too many hard pounds of pressure on the John’s water and flush foot levers…and they went SPRONG! KAPUTZO! It was a real macymess if I ever saw one. Oddly, that’s the first time that has happened to any RV I have ever owned.

Well, back to the repair: Fast Eddy told me what I needed…’the whole base’, which he said would run about $200 US clams…mas o menos. His estimate seemed in line, but I sure hated the thought of waiting for one to be shipped from the States.

That’s where I thought of doing the online ‘search’ in Baja…and NOMADS. Viola…Chuck Schmuck and Wahoo RV comes through for me. I sent Chuck some mails to let him known what I needed, model ID and number, etc..

He checked his stock and as luck would have it..he had one... ready to go. Done deal, I asked how much and made arrangements to deposit the amount to his bank via our local branch office…Bancomer. A very easy, secure transaction ... a fox of a teller to boot…

Chuck packaged it & sent it C/O my name via Aguila Bus Lines from San Jose to Mulege on a Wednesday…and said to let him know if it did not get to me by Saturday afternoon.

The Mulege Bus Station for Aguila and a couple other bus companies are located…almost at the ‘Y’. Very Easy to find if you are a local. If you miss it, just ask the nearsest street sweeper or merchant near the Mulege Monument.

(Now, I gotta tell you..Info about RV parts and Shipping by Bus are as boring as watching paint dry...just normal, everyday events about Baja...so, I promise to throw some hate, biased reporting, and headless cadavers inot the next Mulege Mirror.)

Up these stairs and you are there.

The Yellow Llantera sign is a good landmark, too.

Make sure you have your tracking number, ID, and whatever…you will be signing for it.

The current schedule…subject to change. Naturally…after all, it’s Baja.

Hey, Chuck…great job on easy to read label and secure packaging. Never got a scratch or crunch, gracias.

And that, Nomads, is how to find those RV parts and get 'em sent to ya. Done deal.

[Edited on 1-21-2012 by Pompano]

RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2012 at 06:46 AM

Interesting.

There is absolutely NO identification or sign on that bus station building but "everybody" knows where it is.

(Right next to the yellow llantera!) :lol:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2012 at 10:25 AM
The Plumber of Mulege

“The Plumber of Mulege”

So, amigos…to continue with the last thread.

As you can see below, the RV commode repair parts have arrived from Wahoo RV by way of Baja Pack Express onboard Aguila Bus.

Tip: Here's the info on shipping things by bus in Baja.

Baja Pack Express
Servicio de Mensajeria y Paqueteria
Blvd Lazero Card##as No. 15751 Chapultepec Alamar
Tijuana, BC CP 22110
Info: AL 01-800-7329507

It is too windy to go fishing, so I was really looking forward to filling in some of my shore-leave by installing these toilet parts myself. So I went to the Mulege biblioteca and asked the librarian,……“Where’s the self-help section?”

She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose. :smug:

“Okay…that hurt”, I muttered. “But … I can support the local economy much better by subcontracting this job.”

Now…? Who to call to get toilet repairs done in a motorhome…. hmmm?

Eureka!….a plumber? You betcha! And…I just happen to know one.

Arturo has performed mucho magic with my casa’s plumbing …since that eruption years ago ….that sent my water heater up over the palms .. spewing steam like SCUD missile…and thru a neighbor’s roof four houses away. Carumba… what a ruckus. Why, you’d have thought I had intentionally aimed that sucker at HIS house.

Here they are installing water heater number 3 ..or 4. Who’s counting?

Ah…plumbing and broken toilets! What could possibly be a better thread topic to go with your lunch?

Read on…and Buen Apetito!

The Subject:

Arturo’s son, Salim, carries my broken biffy outside the motorhome.

Salim says, “Biffy?…What the heck is a ‘biffy’?”

Arturo and apprentice #1 inspecting the RV biffy…er…commode’s...grr…TOILET’S!... replacement parts.

Salim and fellow worker inspecting my tool kit. One small hammer and one BIG hammer. All I need. I don’t fix things..I threaten them.

Senor Rogelio, I’m going to need more paper for this bill.

Worker….Arturo…and Son.

Naturally, I was joking on the bill.

Total bill from Arturo The Plumber of Mulege : (2 jobsite visits) 500 pesos …
…which is SO reasonable that I’m hiring them to pry the last water heater out of the neighbor's roof before his return. His blood pressure is way too high the way it is.

“ESSA REFRIGERACION”
Arturo Gutierrez Verdugo Cel 615-15-59655 Tel 15-30158
Son: Salim Gutierrez Cel 615-15-93262
Repairs to:
Wash machine –dryers-refrigerators-a/c-electric motors-water pumps ---and imbedded water heater removals.

Sales include mini-splits.

Give em a try, folks…what the heck, the worst that can happen is a hole in your neighbor’s roof. :rolleyes:

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 1-23-2012 at 12:13 PM

Sure hoping for pic's of that water heater removal.... :lol::lol::lol:

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2012 at 08:22 PM

Here are the photos of the 2012 Mulege Yellowtail Tournament.

It was a great days of fishing and the catching was extraordinary...fish, fish, fish...FISH ON!

North end of Ille del Fonso was the hotspot yestreday.... and today..Tuesay, Jan 31st. Lots of boats from Loreto joined many Mulege area derby fishermen. Everyone was pulling fish. Not only yellows, but limits of red snapper, cabrilla, and grouper.

I talked to a few fishermen who reported 15 -20 hookups...little was said if these were ever boated!!??

I have feeling that heavier lines would have helped a few. :rolleyes:

Above...hmm...the youngest fisherman, 5 yr old Dillon is usually grinning from ear to ear...must be camera shy?

Naw....He prefers fish to pose with for these photo ops.

Bill adds a nice yellow to the board...not the biggest, but worthy of recogntion. Huzzah...and Here-here!

Looks like another HUZZAH! to me.

"...just give me a chance and ...zoooom..those bait tanks are MINE!"

Patty, first mate of 'Strange Lady' with a nice 'tail.

I managed to get this shot...1st and 2nd place winners

left: John - 1st place with 33.3 lb yellowtail

far right: Scott - 2nd place with 28.5 lb yellowtail

And that's the best I could do, folks. I am going home and get ready to go to sea manana...unless those Brazilian gals come back. :saint:

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2012 at 08:51 AM
Ramon - Creator of the Famed "Saturday Carnitas of Mulege"

"Ramon" - truly El Maestro de Carnitas - rest in peace, my friend.

Then:

Now:

The family tradition continues:

CARNITAS!! I can't wait for Saturday to come....so I go see Antonio Y Lorena every day!

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2012 at 06:45 PM

A possible new face may have been added to the Mulege taxi fleet...as I noticed right away the other day while doing some important business at the town square. (okay..it was a Demos taco-craving-event)

And a very fair face it was. I did not get the opportunity at the time to test her skills at driving, customer-care, etc..but that option will surely present itself in the very near future. I will report back with all the pertinent info you might neeed...later, muchachos, later.

"Ignacio, Ignacio--Taxi 11...where forth art thou?"

Dontcha just love places like Mulege??

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2012 at 07:40 PM
CURRENT BOC BEACHES AND SCENES

Welcome to The Bay of Conception, Baja's Best!

Just what Conception Bay needs...an island bar! I know 3 or 4 perfect locations. This is a great project for that motivated Baja-investor out there!

An island beach and camp...muy privado!

Thar She Blows! Down south by Pta. Teresa on a recent fishing day. Always exciting things happening out there!

Coyote Bay Beach homes:

Posada hilltop homes overlooking Conception Bay:

Santispac camping is wide open for more: Come on down!

Calm waters on the Bay beneath the Shrine of the Bay.

The new look for 2012 at the Shrine. All dressed up and nicely, done, guys and gals. Salud!

As always, the Bay is thee best place in Baja to kayak.

And here's our little buddy, Dany, who was so kind as to leave us his signature on the Highway. Please come back, my little painting amigo... so we can show you our appreciation with our spray cans.

Waterski, anyone??

And up comes a new spring..?? Well, maybe not exactly that...but, hey, it's Baja!

Can;t have a beach photo-spread without Baja's most famous..Coyote Camping Beach:

[Edited on 2-22-2012 by Pompano]

[Edited on 4-11-2014 by Pompano]

gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2012 at 10:34 AM

Great shots Roger; the waterskiing one really grabbed me. Can't wait for Spring to get here so we can kick off the 2012 season! Thanks for sharing those (always appreciated by those of us up here stuck in the grind).
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2012 at 04:38 PM
Mulege's dock is getting bigger.

One thing about boat ramps…there always seems to a chance of a mishap or miscalculation...and lots of fun watching! :rolleyes:

Last week the Mulege river dock at the ramp looked like this…adequate and handy most of the time...except for those low tide times that make a hassle for boats having a deeper draft.

The finished dock extension as of yesterday:

THE WORK BEGINS:
Hmmm….what’s all this about?

THE SIDEWALK SUPERS:

EVEN A CURIOUS FLY- BY…

GREAT JOB…WELL DONE, MULEGE FISHERMEN!

Those white poles with reflectors will make great guide-posts for backing up in the dark of the early mornings.

mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 07:12 AM

WOW!....go away for a week and look what happens!!

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 07:39 AM

Nice launch!;)
adventureheart

[*] posted on 3-19-2012 at 10:11 PM

well done!

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather, to skid in sideways, Wine in one hand - chocolate covered strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \'Woohoo - What a Ride!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2012 at 08:00 AM
Lazy stop at El Patron - La Almeja (Mulege's beach bar)

There was no great reason in mind yesterday to go to this beach bar...just a place to put my feet up and watch the seabirds do thier thing over the water. Mentally guess when the first dorado will be taken...?

Recommended: Popping a couple Pacifico caps adds to the ambiance. Quaffing an icy cold 'michelada con Pacifico' in the warm Baja sun makes it magical.

"May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets, cool drinks and sand between your toes."

Flashback photo of a previous dinner night at Almeja's.
The almeja appetizers are very popular..muy sabroso y vigoroso...and brings a smiles to the faces of the most descriminating connoisseurs.

¡Larga vida a las almejas deliciosas!

You can find 'El Patron' and/or 'La Almeja' cantina on the beach at the end of the north river road in Mulege...right out there by the lighthouse and harbor captain's old office (now vacant).

Say Hola! to Tim y Yolanda..tell them Rogelio sent you...and reduce my bar bill a bit, okay?

[Edited on 4-10-2012 by Pompano]

Pages:  1  ..  10    12    14  15

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.