BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cell Phone & Mexican Bank Accounts.helpppp
BritishGirl

[*] posted on 4-30-2004 at 07:36 PM
Cell Phone & Mexican Bank Accounts.helpppp

I have an AT&T pay as you go crappy phone I have no clue if this will work in Punta Banda or if I should get a new phone.
When I went to the store they said I can get a tri band so it works in USA,Mexico and Europe but I need to go into a store and get a sim card in Mexico so my calls are cheaper ???.
Can anyone help me as I don't my ass from my elbow when it comes to cell phones over here.
Also I will need to get a Mexican Bank account to pay my bills.
I have 2 US bank accounts and a Brit account but would like another account over there in pesos can anyone give me info of where to open one in Ensenada.
Cheers..
Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 5-1-2004 at 09:51 AM

British Girl, Get a card from BajaCelluar, I'm sure there are offices in TJ, otherwise, they have an office in Ensenada and in Maneadero, too.

If you are going to stick around, do your FM3 at the Immigration office in Ensenada.

Why open an account? Use your ATM card, get cash, then you'll get a better rate. Most of the bills are paid at the Promocion, across the street from Mrs. Villarino's. They do charge you, but it saves a trip into Ensenada. By most of the bills, I mean telephone and electric.

The water situation depends where you will be, forinstance in La Joya & Villarino's
there is well water.I'm unsure about the other places. To order pila water, which is 25$ for 3,000 gal., go to the hardware store in Cantu, or you can order it from Billy Pabloff at La Joya.

Where abouts are you going to be? In a camp, or Cantu ?

[Edited on 5-1-2004 by Margie]

BritishGirl

[*] posted on 5-1-2004 at 02:39 PM

Hi Margie.I am going to be staying at Lomas Del Mar.So i don't need to get a visa in Tijuana then i just wait till i get to Ensenada?? Also i buy a phone over here and get it switched on then buy a Sim Card in Ensenada and my calls will be cheaper to US ??
Cheers in advance.
Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 5-1-2004 at 04:36 PM

Hi - They used to issue the Visa at the Mexican Consulate in the States, but Mike just told me that, yes, you can get it in TJ.

Lomas used to be a little rough, maybe they've cleaned it up, great view though.

Bring your phone down, and have the people at the Promocion get ahold of Telnor for you to get it hooked up. We never used a cell-phone, Mike kept one in the truck for emergencies, so I really don't
know what the difference is concerning the rates. The flat rate for Telnor runs about $15.00, and there is a good discount for making calls after 7:00pm.

Have you ever been to Sennen-Cove,
Cornwall ?

P.S. I would venture to say that only 5%
of the Americans there actually have FM3's.

trblmkr

[*] posted on 5-1-2004 at 09:07 PM
LOMAS DEL MAR

Watch out for the ticks this year. They are really BAD!!!!!! Get your FM3. Becky runs a tight ship!!!!!! HA HA. By the way, the basic phone service is 20$. Billy charges 28$ for water. Most others are the same. Roy at Pacifico can help you out if you can't find anyone. Well water sucks. If the camp is full (La jolla campground) you have very little pressure if any. Especially if you're on the hill. Smells like rotten eggs.
Margie, you haven't been around much lately, have you? Prices around these parts, has gone up. Also, Arnez doesn't stop people from coming in and going to the surf spot. I was there for every swell we had there this winter. Not to mention the casual walks in the morning or evening below Freds house.Most people that surf there are Nationals. They, as well as I, pull right into camp, park and head down the road to the spot. I know where the secret key to the beach is. Do you??? :light::light:
How's the weeding going??????? You got quite a mess over there. Love the red brick surrounding the place.
Saludos, Your Observant Lurker:o
Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 5-1-2004 at 11:11 PM
PUNTA BANDA - Campo Arnaiz

Troublemaker,

I responded to a post, by Dixie, not too long ago, where she stated she was denied access. Ever since we had a trailer down there, since 1986, we had access, and it was during the period of 1996-2000
where there were big problems.I haven't been there myself since 2000. I know for a fact that the Mexicans were peeed off about the blocking of access, and Sr. Garcia Vatlierra, who you might know as Lupe, and Sr. Zepplein were working in conjunction with their contacts with the Maneadero Delgado to ammend this situation. It was rough, as was Lomas and the boat slip out by the spit. Were you there then? I did not return after they threw rocks at my van, instead, I would paddle out from Rincon. In addition,
the guys at San Miquel Surf Shop were furious, and we posted numbers throughout Ensenada where hassled Mexican surfers could complain, anonymously, to the San Diego Union. We had posters all over that town., and at the University.

Anna Clearly of the SD Union knew about the situation, as did Law Enforcement on the US side, as my husband is with the US Justice Department. If, in fact, Mexican Immigration finally dealt with this situation, as they said they would, then I am glad, and I'm glad we made a stink about it. What the Americans were doing was disgusting and despicable.It was an ordeal, hearing that the Mexicans have taken back their neighborhood really makes me feel good. Bravo for them !

It probably helped, also, that Mike Pabloff was appointed Delgado a couple of years back.

The one thing that Punta Banda didn't need was another black eye from American Drug Dealers, users, and low-life con artists,and deadbeats
especially after the disaster out on the spit with the people losing their homes.

During the period of 1996-2000, Alex was the only person outside of the renters there who had the key, and Billy. Alex gave me the key so I could go surfing.

Regarding the water at Campo La Joya, the camp water does smell funny, but if you let the hose run for a few minutes, the smell goes away. We only used Camp Water for our toilet.

The most timely and responsive water delivery , we found, was Tony Sanchez.
You can purchase a load from him at Roy's
Pacifico Hardware in Cantu, plus he will give you a paid receipt.When we last filled our pila, it was in October, the cost was $25.00, it is obtained from the wells in Maneadero, and a little high, considering that the people in Maneadero pay $5.00-10.00 per month for all the water they can use.

I am paying a basic Telnor rate here at SADM of $15.80.

We never experienced a tick problem, and I have lots of critters.

Does Billy still surf the point?

P.S. Dixie posted not too long ago on the Punta Banda Community Board, you might want to address her issue.

If the place is accessible now, why the need for a "secret" key ?

[Edited on 5-2-2004 by Margie]

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 5-2-2004 at 09:59 PM

Margie,
Will you tell me how to place an ad in the "Mood" part of a post. I need to add an ad that says vote for a 'real person'.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 5-3-2004 at 12:47 AM
Baja Bernie

In the spirit of true Democracy and the two party system, yes Baja Bernie, I'll help you out.

Go back to the index page, on the top you will see 'Your Control Panel Options',
hit that button. Okay, now hit the'Edit Profile' button.

Scroll down and you will see a little box that says'Mood'. Enter your candidate.

Scroll all the way down to the bottom and hit the 'Edit Profile' button.

That's it !

Make sure you login before you do everything.

And you must enter a joke under the Baja Blackie Topic.

How are things at La Salina ? You guys okay down there?

Over and out.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.