Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Keri's bash yesterday.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 5-2-2004 at 06:28 AM
Keri's bash yesterday.

Sorry i missed it but needed to be home this weekend. Let's have some chatter here, highlights? How was the wine? Which Tequila came out as tops in the "blind" (as in drunk) tasting......?

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2004 at 09:55 AM

I would be interested in know that too.....:?:
Sonora Wind
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2004 at 12:13 PM
What are the chances

I'll see you on the 22nd of Mayo
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 5-2-2004 at 02:57 PM
Signing

Keri out did herself. Two winery's were pouring and there was a lot of laughter so it 'must' have been good. TJ beer was excellent with both dark and light beer and these were no sissy cups they were pouring. The pot luck was just okay and my Chiclen Enchilada Pie for twenty didn't even get set down and it was gone. Sure it was one of the ones scarfted up because it was hot. The two best cooks let us down. Senor Sonora was AWOL and Anita Hazard flew in and didn't cook. Keri's Mike did a great tjurkey.
Had a bunch of great new authors and all left with at least 600 pesos in their jeans. Most with a bunch more. Not as many buyers this year but the ones that did buy were staggering under the load of books as they climbed the stairs.
No rain and the weather was perfect.
I didn't stay for the Tequila tasting due to my mature age and my wife. Apparently this was a smashing success because I noticed several persons staggering, stumbling and bouncing off the walls shortly after it began.
Sunday morning the place was unusually quiet.
I must say that I noticed that the west end of the bar was sagging a bit because the Captain Guy who usually held it up was missing.
Great DJ and a lot of people enjoyed the 50's, 60's and &70's 'real' dance music. Hey Rock Around the Clock is good for the soul.
I know that some people took a ton of pictutes and they will be posted later.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2004 at 05:59 PM
thx Bernie! next year i should have my

"patos" in a row and attend so i can properly hold up that bar!!

Sonora - it is better than 50 odds as of right now. i would like a room with AC. what do you think?

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 5-2-2004 at 06:50 PM

Great time by all. TJ beer was even better than the word on the street. Now...as far as the best food, the buzz around the tables said it was all about the authenic cajun chicken and sausage Jambalya. Great event made only better by all of the wonderful participants. I thought we already either owned or had read every baja related book until Tracey purchased 11 more. Didn't quite make it to the tasting as we had planned, although someone enjoyed our tequila....next time we may (note no firm promise suggested or implied) skip tequila for breakfast at the jacuzzi!
Sonora Wind
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2004 at 06:53 PM
Capt Mike

The apartment has AC, but I think the Sonora Wind crew will be intrenched there. The main house has the most room. I spoke to the owner about an hour ago and he said the AC unit for the main house was delivered, But he wasn't sure it would be functional by the time I arrive on the 5th. When I was there two weeks ago I watched two plumpers work eight hours installing a sink in the kitchen I could have completed the job in about an hour and a half. I still wasn't hooked up when they left. Soooo I think maybe might could sorta should have AC, but I can't be possitive. :cool:

Besides that's party night. If it's to hot to sleep, then just drink till ya pass out. That counts as extended deep rem sleep.

[Edited on 5-3-2004 by Sonora Wind]
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 5-2-2004 at 07:18 PM

Tim 4 O
I can hardly argue with you about the food because I was about twenty minutes late in getting there and most of the stuff was already gone by the time I got to the tables. Fun, fantastic people and good food--oh! yea and a little booze.
And a perfect day.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-2-2004 at 10:57 PM

Everything was great... weather, people, food, drinks!!!

We sampled 12 tequilas, and the winner was the Gran Centenario (egl can correct me on the name/ spelling). Second place was Cien Anos... GeoRock can give more details when she and the other Baja girls return from the Sea of Cortez, where the yellow Hummer was heading after the Pyramid Resort event.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 5-3-2004 at 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
How was the wine?
Domecq was pouring their more inexpensive stuff, and holding back on the good stuff.... I tried the Cab and what they called the Meritage... even though it was not a Bordeaux-clone - just a blend of their excess stuff (I would imagine)... but it was certainly drinkable, which many value wines aren't... at all.

Note: In California, the made-up (for marketing purposes) term "Meritage" refers to wines blended to emulate the fine wines of Bordeaux.

The Liceaga winery was the other (if I recall correctly), and they were pouring some of their good stuff. I tried a red that was tannic and tasty.

Here are the URLs for the wineries:
http://www.vinos-domecq.com.mx/
http://www.vinosliceaga.com/

Separate, but related note on wine: A recent (value) favorite of mine, more easily available stateside, is the Yellowtail Shiraz (Australian). Best prices in SoCal are at Trader Joe's, Costco, and - when on sale - Vons. Trader Joe's also has two-buck Chuck, which suits many people just fine as well.

--
Doug

[Edited on 5-3-2004 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2004 at 05:39 AM
thx Doug, that's just the info i was looking for

EGL has given me a bottle of Gran Centario which i meter out judiciously, it is the best smoothest cactus juice i have had, Casadores a close second, but not close really. Any ony who got to sample the Gran got a real treat.

Sonora, can you check on available rooms that might have AC? I'm talking hotel, B&B , Condo etc. By May 22nd we will want it and usually won't travel with out it at night. Sorry.....we are wimps!!

tim40
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2004 at 12:50 PM

Gran Centenario is the best in our opinion. We have yet to find a state side supplier for the anejio. Some homw :) 4 bottles made it home with us this trip!
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2004 at 02:09 PM

Ok, need some clarification on the Gran Centenario product. Which one are you rating?
Gran Centenario Anejo
Gran Centenario Plata
or
Gran Centenario Reposado
:?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?:

[Edited on 5-4-2004 by Bob H]
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2004 at 03:12 PM
Bob - why the Anjeo of course....!!!!!!!

anything else is a step down......

it only cost a nickle more to ride 1st class.....:coolup::smug::lol:

While you all were sipping this stuff sat noche, i was in my hot tub under a nearly full moon doing frozen metered shots of the very same gran centario Anjeo courtesy de EGL, pure heaven inter dosed with the very good 85/15 cab-merlot mix from Austarlia's Rosemount Estate, 2002.

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2004 at 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tim40
Gran Centenario is the best in our opinion. We have yet to find a state side supplier for the anejio. Some homw :) 4 bottles made it home with us this trip!

If someone will post the NOM # (on the official sticker) I will research and see if it is sold in the U.S. under a different name.

Happens all the time. For instance "Siete Leguas", sold in Mexico for about $25 is the SAME tequila as "Patron", sold in the U.S. for Mucho dinero.

tim40
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2004 at 06:43 PM

BB0055721177 1645 on a sticker than reads
"Produccion Nacional". The individual bottle is numbered as well but I am pretty sure that is not what you would need. Greatly appreciate the look. Tim
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2004 at 08:06 AM

Capt Mike, you are a riot. I think you can buy it online. $50 a bottle.
http://www.liquorama.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdI...

Description: Gold with a orange tint. Sweet caramel and vanilla bean aromas. A round, silky entry leads to a dry-yet-fruity, medium-to full-bodied palate with caramel, brown spice, and tropical fruit flavors. Finishes very smoothly with herbal agave and a long-lasting fade of fruit and oak. An exceptionally balanced anejo.(tastings.com)
:P

[Edited on 5-4-2004 by Bob H]
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2004 at 08:57 AM

"Description: Gold with a orange tint. Sweet caramel and vanilla bean aromas. A round, silky entry ......WHAT!!....leads to a dry-yet-fruity, medium-to full-bodied palate ...HUH??!!....with caramel, brown spice, and tropical fruit flavors. Finishes very smoothly .....YEAH, BABY!!!!!......with herbal agave and a long-lasting fade of fruit and oak. An exceptionally balanced anejo..........WOW!!!

hummmmm......that sounds a a lot like makin' whoopee if you ask me!!!

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2004 at 01:00 PM

Bob, for future reference, when submitting flowery wine reviews it is customary to write with zee Franch accent.

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2004 at 02:03 PM

Dave, that would have been funny.

Does anyone know a decent store in Ensenada where I can buy a nice bottle of Gran Centenario Anejo? We will be there the weekend of the 14/15/16th.
Also looking forward to a nice dinner a Kaia's!
Bob H
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.