BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Malarimo Beach (better late than never)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-21-2009 at 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bufeo
Thanks dtbushpilot, nice report and photos.

Brings back really great memories: spring 1972, minimal maps/guides—(Cliff Cross who hadn't been out there), Gerhard and Gulick (who also admitted to not driving the route), Walt Wheelock's map, AA map with only dashed-lines—a "piece of eight", and visions of treasures. Oh, and no pavement.

Incredible winds for three consecutive days had all but obliterated any sign of track north from San José de Castro. This was before GPSs, but we had a compass and sextant and the promise from a local at SJdC that if we didn't report back within five days he would come looking for us.

It was a marvelous adventure and it appears that you had one as well. I applaud you for taking your truck-camper out there. You must have had moments... .

Allen R

The odd 'ol days before Hwy. 1 was finished! :spingrin::tumble::bounce:

McMahan Map-r.JPG - 49kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 6-21-2009 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bufeo
Thanks dtbushpilot, nice report and photos.

Brings back really great memories: spring 1972, minimal maps/guides—(Cliff Cross who hadn't been out there), Gerhard and Gulick (who also admitted to not driving the route), Walt Wheelock's map, AA map with only dashed-lines—a "piece of eight", and visions of treasures. Oh, and no pavement.

Incredible winds for three consecutive days had all but obliterated any sign of track north from San José de Castro. This was before GPSs, but we had a compass and sextant and the promise from a local at SJdC that if we didn't report back within five days he would come looking for us.

It was a marvelous adventure and it appears that you had one as well. I applaud you for taking your truck-camper out there. You must have had moments... .

Allen R

We had a few "moments" to be sure. Going in there were several places where you could see that someone had been stuck and had to dig out. We made it in ok but I spent the whole time we were there worried about the trip out. The arroyo runs down hill going in (of course) and I was concerned that going up hill on the way out we would be more likely to dig in. Also, while trying to dig a hole for a fire I found that we were parked in the middle of a mud flat and wondered if I would wake in the morning to find that we had slowly sunk in the mud. To add to my concerns, while gathering wood for a fire well behind the camper in the arroyo I realized that the wood I was gathering was drift wood. Looking around I realized that there was washed up trash around too and that I was parked within the high tide line. I had no idea what type of tide to expect but it looked as though the water rarely came up that high so I decided to stay put.
I took this picture of our camp site while standing just about where the beach sand started. It looked to me like we were well back from the water but I looked outside more than once during the night.

We heard lots of coyotes during the night and we could hear them checking out our camp site. It was too dark to see them but in the morning there were tracks all around the camper.

We all know that you shouldn't camp alone especially in remote areas an although I do it often I do worry about security in the back of my mind. Jill worries about it more in the front of her mind. I do carry a few things to protect us in the camper but would rather not have to go there.I don't know of many more remote places than Mallarimo beach and I must admit I was a bit spooked. In the morning after coffee we went for a walk down the beach about a mile looking for treasure. On the way back Jill grabbed my arm and pointed down the beach. There were 4 men walking down the beach toward us from the area where we were camped. I could tell by the way Jill's fingernails were digging into my flesh that she was more than casually concerned.....so was I. There I was with my plastic coffee cup for a weapon and nothing else. I did my best to look imposing and confident as they approached but knew in my heart that if they had bad intentions we were screwed.

As it turned out they were locals looking for treasure just as we were and after a brief chat they went on their way. When we got back to camp we saw their vehicle parked near our truck. I broke camp and headed out quickly so that we would be ahead of them on the road out and could get help from them if we got stuck, fortunately we didn't and we found the hub cap from our truck right where a rock knocked it off on the way in.....glad I didn't run it over.

We still camp in remote places but not as much as before.....dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2022 at 08:48 AM

One of the great trip reports from the glory days of Baja Nomad!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2022 at 11:22 AM

I've been to Malarrimo Beach twice over the last 20 years and both times it was a fun adventure. The area where the arroyo meets the beach has changed a lot between my first and second visit. Still lots of junk. We found a new wet suit with the sales tags still on it. An underwater camera with one picture taken of a scuba diver. Last trip there were about a million flip flops, take your pick.

On my first trip we saw a very large Badger going in and coming out, of course we stayed clear of him. I rode my MC on the beach among 5 or 6 coyotes until they got exhausted and left the beach.

I never found any alcohol or torpedo's like some did years ago.

I think it's time for another trip there.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2022 at 05:16 PM

I've been there 3 or 4 times and always had a good adventure. Next time I want to head to the right once you get to the beach and then get across the inlet and explore the next beach. I did that my first trip in there in about '75 and found all kinds of stuff. Not many people can get over there. I had and old 3 wheeler and put it into an aluminum boat and was able to ride it up and down the beach.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 5-21-2022 at 06:35 PM

never found anything other than garbage there but im told locals scour the area in the wee morning hours, what does surprise me is how clean the water is and how good the halibut fishing is!

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2022 at 07:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
never found anything other than garbage there but im told locals scour the area in the wee morning hours, what does surprise me is how clean the water is and how good the halibut fishing is!

One man's garbage IS another man's treasure!

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 5-21-2022 at 10:04 PM

I always find more than I can carry away

cruise missiles
redwood logs
thousands of Chinese shoes
wooden crates with whiskey - 1/3 not broken
stacks of British TPC (Tactical Pilot Charts) of northern Germany
and all the stuff i already forgot

Screen Shot 2022-05-21 at 11.02.04 PM copy.jpg - 262kB

Harald Pietschmann
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2023 at 12:22 PM

In AsunciĂłn right now and considering a night on the beach to fish and explore the junk. Is the trail from San Jose de Castro the best route in? We are driving solo in a capable land cruiser but if we got bogged down in mud I don't know that I could dig myself out. In that case I do have a spot, which I wouldn't activate until I also ran out of beer ...

[Edited on 2023-3-20 by WideAngleWandering]

Traveling the Americas via my old land cruiser
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-20-2023 at 07:56 PM

I did not try the road/trail out to Malarrimo, but I did drive the dirt road headed south through San Jose de Castro to Bahia Asuncion last year. I don't know what it is like now, but i was fortunate enough to drive it while grader tracks were still visible.

I also drove the road that loops through Puerto Nuevo, and enjoyed that side trip! There is very little beach access, but I found a nice spot that I had all to myself for the night. (except for the pangas pulling pots offshore!)

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-20-2023 at 08:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by WideAngleWandering  
... but if we got bogged down in mud I don't know that I could dig myself out.

with that mind set you will get stuck
because you expect it

if you'll focus on not getting stuck - you won't

use all the available techniques
airing down
lockers
going slow
straight lines rather than tight turns
be aware of your surroundings

a capable Landcruiser is good
but in the end it is you

as the Indians say: " It's the Indian - not the arrow."

Harald Pietschmann
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2023 at 07:37 AM

My mindset isn't going to keep me from recovering but lockers in the mud are a quick way to get buried to the axle. I really should be carrying a full size shovel and a sand anchor. Anyhow, thanks all for the insights.

[Edited on 2023-3-21 by WideAngleWandering]

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-21-2023 at 08:27 AM

My mindset isn't going to keep me from recovering but lockers in the mud are a quick way to get buried to the axle. I really should be carrying a full size shovel and a sand anchor. Anyhow, thanks all for the insights.

the best way to not get stuck in the mud is to not drive in the mud. sometimes it pays to get out of the car and walk ahead before driving over the flats in low areas. you can use a shovel or rod to probe the ground to see if there is saturated mud lurking beneath a dry crust...

yes, it takes time to walk ahead and check the ground. but it takes less time than extracting yourself out of a mudhole

[Edited on 3-21-2023 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2023 at 08:44 AM

No doubt.

But all this talk about mud is a tangent.

Any thoughts on the best/most entertaining/least-likely-to-get-stuck-or-turned-aroumd route in? Via San Jose de Castro or along the coast from Tortugas?

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 3-21-2023 at 04:38 PM

No doubt.

But all this talk about mud is a tangent.

Any thoughts on the best/most entertaining/least-likely-to-get-stuck-or-turned-aroumd route in? Via San Jose de Castro or along the coast from Tortugas?

I don’t believe you can reach the same beach coming from Malarrimo fish camp (from Punta Eugenia). At least back when I went in there you couldn’t, things change though.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2023 at 04:51 PM

There is a third way, talked about a but here back 5 years ago... It is the road along the water pipe. I photographed it where it leaves the Tortugas highway at Km. 83. I included it on my map:

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-21-2023 at 05:41 PM
David's map

David, the "loop" that I mentioned through Puerto Nuevo that a mentioned yesterday continues southwar and connects with the road that your map shows as a dead end at the coast.

When I drove that route, it had been freshly graded and was suitable for any decent 2wd vehicle. There were several steep sections and drainages that could get wiped out in an event like hurricane Kay, so I can't vouch for the condition now.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2023 at 06:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
There is a third way, talked about a but here back 5 years ago... It is the road along the water pipe. I photographed it where it leaves the Tortugas highway at Km. 83.

Very helpful - I read this in ypur report but didn't realize it was a different road from San Jose de Castro.

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
I don’t believe you can reach the same beach coming from Malarrimo fish camp (from Punta Eugenia). At least back when I went in there you couldn’t, things change though.

Hmm this is what I was wondering. I've read it's not accessible here on BN. But this trip report (day 6) almost sounds like they followed the coast and found a track. https://www.off-road.com/atv/feature/atv-ride-malarrimo-madn...

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.