BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Malarimo Beach (better late than never)
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 7-29-2008 at 11:15 AM
Malarimo Beach (better late than never)

This trip took place on Christmas day 2006. I know it's a little dated but I doubt that things have changed much.

Ever since I've been coming to Baja a trip to Malarimo Beach has been on my to do list, you know, that list of 1000 things to do before you die. I am fortunate to have a wife that enjoys Baja adventure as much as I do (that's what she says) and supports my adventurous spirit. So, after a little discussion we decided to put the camper on the truck and head out. I've never had this rig in any serious off road conditions and to tell you the truth, I was a little worried about how it would do in the soft sand that I knew I would encounter. I had nightmares of the truck being buried to its axles in sand in some remote place but Jill was quick to point out that we would be in the camper with lots of food and adult beverages and if that were to happen it would make for a great trip report.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

We took off from San Diego, stopped at Rancho San Inez for a late lunch and made it to Gurrero Negro a little after dark. Had a wonderful Christmas Eve dinner at the Malarimo Hotel and headed out early the next morning. After gassing up at Viscaino we drove to the end of the pavement and let a little air out of the tires.

[img][/img]

Missed the turn off just like the book said I would, headed back, turned off on the single track road and headed north.

Tha road was worse than I had anticipated, so much so that I considered turning back but Jill would have none of that, I promissed her adventure and by golly I was going to deliver. After 8 or 10 miles of pitching and swaying and bouncing I decided to stop and have a look in the camper. It looked like a bomb had gone off...a BIG bomb. The contents of all the cabinets were on the floor, the stereo was hanging out of the wall suspended by the wiring and the microwave was wedged at a 45 degree angle out of the wall preparing to join the stereo swinging by it's cord. I slowly closed the door and backed away. Returning to the cab I found my lovely wife with a cold beer waiting for me. "How's everything back there" she asked......great baby, just great......

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

So, off we went. There were a couple of places that I felt the need to stop and walk ahead to check things out before continuing on and had to do a little "road building" in a place or two but things were actually going pretty well. At one point we hit a smooth stretch where we hit 20 mph. I commented that I had been hoping that the road would be like this most of the way at which Jill replied "what fun would that be?"......God I love that girl......

As we approached the coast the road (when there was one) got softer and softer. There were areas where the road was covered with blow sand and more than a bit scary. I focused on keeping the truck moving forward and didn't dare slow down or stop. We passed several places where others had been stuck with evidence of a lot of digging and misery.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

I had heard that if you see the water, you've gone too far. I'm not sure how you are supposed to know where it is if you don't see it and since the road was REALLY soft I didn't dare slow down or stop to look for it. I could smell the salt water and we rounded a curve, there it was....but I still couldn't stop for a few hundred more feet. I came to a stop in the middle of the road and declared us there!

[img][/img]
no, I'm not riding a chicken...those are my legs....

We set up camp and headed out for our beachcoaming adventure with thoughts of Japaneese hand blown glass fishing net floats and cases of scotch dancing in my head. Well, we didn't find any of that stuff but we did find a lot of interesting trash, a dolphin skull, a dead dolphin, a whale bone, a huge tree trunk in the middle of the beach and about a half dozen condoms (new).

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

We had a fun adventure, a camp fire and scrabble game, several adult beverages and a safe trip back to the main road. We may not have found any treasure but the memories of our adventure are priceless.

We would like to back some day but there are a lot of places that we haven't been yet. If we do, it will be in a smaller vehicle and with another vehicle or two. If you want to go, just do it, we did and lived to tell about it......dt

[Edited on 7-29-2008 by dtbushpilot]
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 7-29-2008 at 12:01 PM

More...more. I am especially interested in hearing from as many people as possible about the chances that I could get some long runs with my dirt boat.

Ok...now I get it. There were no photos when I posted my reply. Is Malarrimo Beach wider than the one in the pictures?

[Edited on 7-30-2008 by vgabndo]

Twingle at speed Alvord Desert reduced.JPG - 24kB

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 7-29-2008 at 01:36 PM

dtbushpilot, Thanks for the pictures.:tumble:That must be the skull of a young dolphin, still has it's teeth.:)
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2008 at 03:21 PM

Amazing adventure! I really liked the "riding a chicken". Haven't heard that one before.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2008 at 03:26 PM

I'm impressed with you and yer rig!:o A real Nomad. Thanks for the nice report.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 7-29-2008 at 03:54 PM

Great report...Real Baja California...Real roads...The way it should be...Thank You Very Much

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-29-2008 at 04:17 PM

My wife and I went there this past February.
Here are the changes:
The main road from Vizcaino, as in your trip, was paved to just past the Bahia Asuncion turn-off. Then for about the next 50 miles is graded dirt with some major loose sand spots that one would have to drive fairly fast to kinda coast over the loose spots.
The last 15 miles to Bahia Tortuga is paved and they are feverishly working on paving the rest to meet the paved part coming out of Vizcaino. I am sure that Shari has a more recent update than this.
dtbushpilot actually turned way too early to make it to Malarrimo beach. If you make the right turn at the sign that designates the beach and fish camps (where we ate several lobsters free of charge from the local fishermen), you could have easily made it to the beach. The road could easily accomodate a 32' +- RV.
The surfing there is also primo, with the average ride on a south swell being about 1 1/2-2 minutes.
Bring some freebies to the fishermen at both camps, speak some Spanish, and you'll eat for free. Bahia Tortuga is about 1/2 hour away and there are TWO Pemex stations in town. Pay a visit to the town...you'll be surprised!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2008 at 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by udowinkler
Here are the changes:
The main road from Vizcaino, as in your trip, was paved to just past the Bahia Asuncion turn-off. Then for about the next 50 miles is graded dirt with some major loose sand spots that one would have to drive fairly fast to kinda coast over the loose spots.
The last 15 miles to Bahia Tortuga is paved and they are feverishly working on paving the rest to meet the paved part coming out of Vizcaino. I am sure that Shari has a more recent update than this.
dtbushpilot actually turned way too early to make it to Malarrimo beach. If you make the right turn at the sign that designates the beach and fish camps (where we ate several lobsters free of charge from the local fishermen), you could have easily made it to the beach. The road could easily accomodate a 32' +- RV.
The surfing there is also primo, with the average ride on a south swell being about 1 1/2-2 minutes.
Bring some freebies to the fishermen at both camps, speak some Spanish, and you'll eat for free. Bahia Tortuga is about 1/2 hour away and there are TWO Pemex stations in town. Pay a visit to the town...you'll be surprised!

Thanks for the update udo,

We went to Tortugas, Asuncion and Campo rene on the same trip after Malarimo. I'll post more later.

We had lobster with the locals the day we arrived at Tortugas. What an expirience, what beautiful people.

I believe the road you are referring to goes to Malarimo the town (fish camp). The scavenging beach is quite a ways to the East of there.....dt
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2008 at 04:41 PM

Love the report.

OK, now we really need to know which one is the correct road and place.

BTW, Last December we took the back road (shortcut, so to speak) from Bahia Asuncion to Tortugas and while slower, it was a beautiful drive.

Diane

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2008 at 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grover
NICE driving skills...well done!

I bet you secure inside quite a bit better before gnarly offroad now.

Well, one would think so but on our trip to Punta Conception last month we met with a similar fate. We were also towing a small trailer with Jill's new toy on it (Polaris RZR). The camper took a bit of a beating and I doubt that I will be taking it back in there any time soon. I probably have some pictures, I'll post a trip report after I re-figure out how to post them.....dt
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-29-2008 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Quote:
Originally posted by udowinkler
Here are the changes:

Thanks for the update udo,

We went to Tortugas, Asuncion and Campo rene on the same trip after Malarimo. I'll post more later.

We had lobster with the locals the day we arrived at Tortugas. What an expirience, what beautiful people.

I believe the road you are referring to goes to Malarimo the town (fish camp). The scavenging beach is quite a ways to the East of there.....dt

Quote:

You are quite correct, DT, about the people. They are so incredibly honest! When we were there last, we met Eugenio, the grandson of the gentleman whom the point was named after (Punto Eugenio). He even gave me some of his canned caracol (conch) and which is only available locally in Bahia Tortuga.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 7-29-2008 at 06:25 PM

Great report--nice to see those old Baja roads I'm used to bouncing along...
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2008 at 07:03 PM

Cool report! Hope to make it that way some day.:coolup:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2008 at 07:27 PM

So let's book it Gato! We're ready for another adventure.

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2008 at 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

Quote:

Dude! Your adventure of a lifetime is a few short weeks away!! And it's going to last at least 18 years!!! :biggrin:

How about next summer? :cool:

MAGA

Skip_Mac
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2008 at 08:21 PM

Gawd, that was a wonderful set of Pics. now I have both an idea of what to expect on the road and the final beach. Too bad about the scotch and floats. I don't suspect of Graham of exaggerating, perhaps the better beach combing is elsewhere on the beach or at different times of the year. Or perhaps I am just having trouble letting go of a beach combing dream.

Thanks for the post. You rock.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-29-2008 at 09:32 PM

GREAT Baja Nomad stuff! Thank you dtbushpilot for sharing the trip story and photos!

I have wanted to get there since Mike McMahan showed us what his family found there (1960's-'72) in his '73 book 'There It Is: Baja!'... Then Graham Mackintosh talked fondly of the gin... and later, tonic bottle on the beach (1980's)!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2008 at 09:37 PM

We're down for a July escapade....I'll bring the playpen and you can bring the bocce set.

Zac

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Dude! Your adventure of a lifetime is a few short weeks away!! And it's going to last at least 18 years!!! :biggrin:

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2008 at 09:55 PM

Quote:
We're down for a July escapade....I'll bring the playpen and you can bring the bocce set.

Zac

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Game on!! :dudette:

MAGA

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2008 at 10:05 PM

Hey DT, was it windy when you were there? It was really bad in the afternoons while we were there.

Also, when you first arrive at the beach and make that left, if you look to the right there is a channel that that opens up into a bay. We swam across there and found some wierd stuff out there. We also saw an 8' shark when coming back. I swear to god my friend actually ran on the water!:o:O:o:lol:

Did you see anyone else out there? If you examine GoogleEarth of the area you can make out a track that leads out towards Pta. Tortugas. I am wondering if that road is doable. It looks like it follows buried lines out to the point. That would be a great adventure imo.:yes:

[Edited on 7-30-2008 by Sharksbaja]

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.