BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Macaroni With Spinach Sauce (& Chiles en Nogada see below )
Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 5-2-2004 at 07:54 PM
Macaroni With Spinach Sauce (& Chiles en Nogada see below )

This is one of Mikes' favorites, from Frida's Fiestas - Recipes and Reminiscences of Life with Frida Kahlo, by Guadalupe Rivera and Marie-Pierre Colle:

3 pounds/500g fresh spinach
3-4 serrano chiles, chopped
1 cube butter
3 TBLSP. flour
2 cups hot milk
1 cup Mexican creme
2 pounds macaroni
1 cup grated parmesan cheese

Wash the spinach thoroughly and discard the stems. Cook the spinach (with the water that clings to the leaves) with salt to taste and the chiles. Remove from the heat, cool slightly, and puree.

Melt the butter, stir in the flour and cook briefly. Add the milk, cream, and salt and pepper to taste, stirring with a whisk so the mixture will not lump. Let the sauce thicken for a few minutes, then stir in the spinach puree.

Cook the macaroni in boiling salted water until al dente (5min.) Drain thoroughly. Pour some over the spinach sauce on the bottom of a buttered ovenproof dish. Add the macaroni and the remaining sauce, sprinkle with grated cheese in preheated 350 degree F oven, for 30 minutes, until the cheese is brown.

I've made this several times, and here are some tips:

Cook the Spinach and chiles in a pie plate, with just a eeney weeney amount of water, in the microwave for 3 minutes, on high. If you double this, you'll use several pie plates.

I prefer not to puree the spinach and chiles, letting them cool and then adding them to the sauce.

I add at least 1/2 cup more of Creme

In addition to the parmesian, I grate 1 cup of Anejo, and layer the casserole,
like Lasagna: Sauce, macaroni, cheese, sauce, macaroni - hopefully ending up with the cheese on top.

I use 6 serranos, but that might be a little
too hot for some people.

*********************************This is such an excellent Cookbook, we've had it for years now. Best Enchiladas and Sauce, Chiles en Nogada,
Pozole from Jalisco. If you want, I can list somemore recipes until you buy the book.

[Edited on 5-3-2004 by Margie]

Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2004 at 08:02 PM
Please do! Yum....

I only fantasize about food these days, but boy that recipie does it for my imagination. How about the Chiles Enogadas one? - Stephanie

When the goin' gets tough, the wierd turn pro
Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 5-2-2004 at 08:48 PM
For Stephanie- Chiles en Nogada

Stephanie, I know what you mean, I have a really slow metabolism and I just gain weight smelling food! It is a curse ! Okay, here we go:

This is for 6 servings

12 poblando chiles, roasted, seeded, and deveined
Flour
6 eggs, separated
1 teaspoon salt
3 pomegranates, seeded
Parsley

Filling
2 pounds ground pork
1 onion, quartered
2 garlic cloves
8 TBLSP. butter
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cups/11 tomato puree
1 apples, peeled and finely chopped
2 peaches, peeled and finely chopped
2 plantains, peeled and finely chopped
1/4 cup candied citron, finely chopped
1/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup blanced almonds, coarsely chopped
1 TBLSP. sugar
Salt and Pepper

Walnut Sauce
2 cups walnut halves
1/2 cup blanched almonds
1 cup queso fresco (or feta)
1/2 cup half and half
1 TBLSP. sugar
1 tsp. salt

Rinse the chiles and pat them dry. Spoon some of the filling inside each one, being careful not to overstuff. Spread the flour on a plate and turn each chile in the flour to coat lightly. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Beat the egg yolks with the salt. Gently fold the yolks and whites together to make a batter. Dip the chiles into the batter to cover completely.

Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in a deep, heavy skillet. Fry the chiles, one or two at a time, until lightly browned. Drain on brown paper.

The chiles can be served cold or at room temperature. Dip the chiles in the Walnut Sauce until completely covered. Arrange the chiles on a platter. Cover with a little more sauce, if needed. Sprinkle with pomegrante seeds and sprigs of parsley.

To make the filling, place the pork, quartered onion, and garlic in a saucepan. Cover with water and boil for 20 minutes. Drain and set aside, discarding the onionand garlic.

Heat the butter in a large skillet and saute the chopped onion for about 4 minutes, until translucent, Add the tomato puree and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the meat, fruit, citron, raisins, almonds, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes.

To make the walnut Sauce, puree all the ingrediants. If the sauce is too thick, add more half and half.

If you are ever in Ensenada, stop at Victor's Restaurant - on the main drag, next to the University Extension, going towards the Naval Facility. His cook makes these, a little bit differently, but oh wow are they good !

I never figured out what "11 tomato puree" was, I just used tomatoe puree.

Thank God Frida and Diego liked to eat !!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.