Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: New Book: The Angler's Guide to Trailer Boating Baja
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-1-2008 at 09:19 AM
New Book: The Angler's Guide to Trailer Boating Baja

This one looks good... saw it on another web site: http://www.bajatrailerboating.com

[Edited on 1-8-2015 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2008 at 09:34 AM

This guy was on BajaNomads a while back asking for information on boat launches.
Looks like he finished his research.
Nice looking boat !
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2008 at 10:16 AM

okay, good... I sent him an email after I saw this book on another forum (one that gets neary zero activity, compared to here)... On the link to the book, there are tons of photos, sample pages from the book, and he even spelled Puertecitos correctly!:light:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2008 at 03:21 PM

Okay...I just ordered it. Hope that it is as entertaining as The Baja Catch.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2008 at 04:02 PM

Diver

You NEED a boat like that!

Iflyfishwithdiverinhisnewboatifhehadanewboatsigh
bigeye
Banned

[*] posted on 8-1-2008 at 05:39 PM

He's got a Merc on his boat. Nuff said.:lol:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-1-2008 at 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigeye
He's got a Merc on his boat. Nuff said.:lol:

Yeah, it's a Merc (even looks like a two stroke).........but those Kencraft's are good boats.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 8-2-2008 at 07:33 AM

Zack is a pretty good fellow and knows his boats well, as he does fishing the Sea of Cortez. He's the son of a Baja neighbor and has many years of experience...fishing on his Dad's Mako, Pez Gallo, and on his own Kencraft throughout the Cortez. He's a good researcher and has written some good articles for Western Outdoors, Trailerboating, Baja Fish Gear, some forums pertaining to fishing like BloodyDecks, Saltwatersportsman, etc.

Nice boat, indeed..like me, he thinks that Kencraft of his makes a terrific Cortez fishing platform; in particular the 21' Kencraft Challenger center console....a very solid boat by one of the top quality boat-builders. I 'searched' the one below on Boatrader.com to show another one. I like the Mercs, too. Verados and EFI are proven engines, but I prefer a 4-stroke..for noise and range. Of course, Yammies are bulletproof nowadays, and you almost never see a Suzuki in the shop.

Zack leans mostly towards the do-it-yourself action and more remote areas. Experiments a lot with launching and fishing techniques for out-of-the-way places in Baja. I have seen him in some of the damnedest places...Mag Bay, Bahia de Tortugas, San Lucas Cove, running offshore from Conception Bay..he gets around. His book might be a good reference tool to have if you are considering trailering a boat to Baja...and fishing of course.

Next stop for our trailering boat excursion is Asuncion ..and wherever I can manage Lindsay's Law to catch a fish. Be forewarned, shari and Juan! We love Pacificos, but can abide/imbibe Tecate, also.

[Edited on 8-2-2008 by Pompano]

- Kencraft 21 CC wYam175HPDI.jpg - 37kB

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
bigeye
Banned

[*] posted on 8-2-2008 at 08:05 AM

I wonder if used the old launch ramp for that size of a boat once he got out to punta chivato? The picture looks like it was taken on the road out there. I too like the hull pompano, but for my tastes, if I were to consistently trailer a boat up and down Mex 1. I would want something a little lighter. Now, if you were to leave it down there, well that is a different story. That is not what the book is about though is it.:no:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 8-2-2008 at 08:18 AM

You betcha, bigeye....my Yarcraft 18 launches on a wet sponge. Well..okay, it launches easily in about 11-12 inches of water. On an E-Z Loader trailer, it gets me offshore just about anywhere.

We have used the old launch ramp at Chivato to launch big 21' CC's in the past, though, plus some 23' I/O's. High tide of course. The picture looks a little like the Chivato road, but I don't recall too many straight stretches like the one shown. I recall a lifetime of washboard, too, on the old 4-or-40 roads.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2008 at 08:20 AM

No, if you read the book, he used the new ramp at Chivato. Claims that it is the best built ramp in Baja connected to the worst road.
This is an informative book that trailerboaters will find very useful for trailerboating in Baja. We gave a couple of these away at the San Marcos Yellowtail Shootout since Zack is good friends with San Marcos Mike.
bigeye
Banned

[*] posted on 8-2-2008 at 08:30 AM

4 or 40.......Classic. You must be a baja old timer.
JaraHurd
Nomad

Mood: probably annoyed

[*] posted on 8-2-2008 at 08:47 AM

It is a very good book..but nothing comes close to The Baja Catch!
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-3-2008 at 11:57 AM

I haven't seen this book, but I recently picked up a copy of "Trailer Boating the Sea of Cortez," 2004, by Gerry Cunningham, who seems to have self-published it though Cruising Charts. In the forward the author acknowledges that “I have not trailed a boat for many years, I don’t fish, and my diving is only as deep as I can hold my breath,” although this book portends to be about all three activities. The book is superficial, at best.

Some of the reproduced charts are interesting, but I can’t give it any gold stars other than that.

I'll be interested to have a look at "The Angler's Guide..."

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
ZThomas
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 10:34 AM

Thanks for the mention, David K!

Diver: Must have been someone else asking around. My plan from the beginning was to avoid all advice and conventional wisdom and instead go find everything out firsthand.

Pompano: Hey Roger--good to hear from you! Actually the boat in your picture is the old Challenger 215--discontinued around 2005. It was 21'5", an extremely safe big-water boat, if a little ungainly with all that freeboard aft. Much heavier, bulkier, and drafts quite a bit more than mine, which is a Challenger 206. It's 20'6" x 8'3" with an 18-degree vee. They now sell it as the Sea King 210CC. Word on the street is that the new wood-free Sea Kings aren't as solid nor as well-finished as the older boats, but I can't vouch for that firsthand. My '98 206 is built like a tank. And after what I've put her through, I can say that with some confidence. Very versatile, adaptable little skiff with the best head-sea ride of anything under 23 feet I've ever run (downhill ride leaves something to be desired, though).

bigeye: Yes, lighter and shallower would have made researching the book easier, but to my way of thinking a solid, seaworthy 20 or 21 is about the best all-around Baja trailer boat--assuming you're fishing both sides and want to get offshore. Tougher to launch and burns more fuel than some alternatives, but I fish Thetis Bank from Puerto Lopez Mateos, Isla Tortuga and Ildefonso from Mulege, Cerralvo from La Paz, etc. It's a matter of personal preference, but I'm willing to haul the heavier rig in return for being able to go farther, safer, in a wider range of conditions. And it's definitely do-able. You name the spot, Christine's been launched there--Estero de Coyote, Asuncion, Bahia de Tortugas, Concepcion Bay beaches, Ens. de los Muertos, etc.

bigeye and Pescador: That said, Chivato is about the only place I haven't launched. The book is primarily about short-term trailer-boat trips--like 2 to 14 days--and for that kind of trip, Chivato just isn't a great destination. The road out there is brutal, supplies and services are minimal, and fuel is a problem. With a car-topper or kayak, it's great, and of course it is if you have a place there. But for a shorter trip with a bigger boat, it makes a lot more sense to stay in Mulege, San Lucas Cove or Santa Rosalia. From Mulege or SLC, you can be at Chivato in 20 minutes by water, and all three are vastly easier logistically than Chivato.

BajaBruno: Yes, Gerry's book is rather remarkable that way. Mike Bales' "Launch Ramps of Baja California" was a great little guide, but it's now 17 years old. I never thought of competing with "The Baja Catch," but rather hoped to do something that would complement it. The only thing it lacks is information about towing, launching and fishing from substantial trailer-boats. I'm trying essentially to fill in the blanks for folks' that want to tow bigger boats down and maybe fish offshore beyond the range of tin boats.

The Preface for the book, here: http://bajatrailerboating.com/main_pages/preface.html , addresses the background and research.

ZT

Baja-specific tackle, hand-picked by the author
of The Angler\'s Guide to Trailer-Boating Baja
www.TranspeninsularOutfitters.com
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 05:16 PM

Welcome to Nomad Zack! There are a ton of fishermen/ boat trailer-ers here on Nomad and you (with that nice book) will be a great resource to them!

[Edited on 8-5-2008 by David K]

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Welcome to Nomad Zack! There are a ton of fishermen/ boat trailer-ers here on Nomad and you (with that nice book) will be a great resource to them!

[Edited on 8-5-2008 by David K]

You already have been Zack. Thanks.

In Memory of E-57
bajamikey
Nomad

Mood: baja with a cold pacifico

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 10:20 PM

i order the book about 2 months haven't put it down yet
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2008 at 02:45 PM

Just to let anyone know that is in Los Cabos, we have this book in stock at $30. Just arrived today but it looks like a great book with lotsa information.
Hope to see some of you soon.

[Edited on 8-19-2008 by bajajudy]

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-19-2008 at 08:22 PM

I heard Zack on a Sunday morning fishing talk show last week (now you know it is a slow slow day when I am listening to a fishing talk show)

It was fascinating, found myself sitting in the pickup and waiting for a commercial before I switched him off.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.