BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: END THE FREAKIN BUILDING!
FirstFederal

Mood: travelin' mood

[*] posted on 2-15-2003 at 08:48 PM

Well I concede that Cabo is not in that same position, except the prices. The prices are way out of line for quality of service, and facilities.

Many who visit Cabo go away with the feeling that they have either paid too much for what they got, or were out and out ripped off.

Do you think out of the dozens of hotels there, the prices are okay? Feel free to name names and prices.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2003 at 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FirstFederal
Well I concede that Cabo is not in that same position, except the prices. The prices are way out of line for quality of service, and facilities.

Many who visit Cabo go away with the feeling that they have either paid too much for what they got, or were out and out ripped off.

Do you think out of the dozens of hotels there, the prices are okay? Feel free to name names and prices.

That is not what we are discussing, you said "It's been my observation that things start to get built, then interest and money wans" and i wonder where exactly have you seen this??

You also said "It's Mexico, and nothing in Mexico works as it should" and i would like for you to give us a good examle of an entire industry or service area where this applies?

FirstFederal

[*] posted on 2-15-2003 at 09:06 PM

I didn't say that I don't like it, the fact of the matter is that I do like Mexico. There are many things to like and enjoy.

A majority of the people don't think in the mindset of getting as much as they can no matter who they rip off.

I have good experiences in Puerto Vallarta, Guadalajara, Taxco and others as well. I steer clear of what looks like corporate development, for the most part.

I don't think Mexico should operate as in the US. That's making an assumption based on your own biases.

I think things should work as they were intended, not an ersatz or adulterated product. An there quite a few. Any consumer of products deserves this. In that sense Mexicans are ripping people off, both American and Mexicans alike.

Don't think that I'm attacking Mexico either, I'm just pointing out the "the ladder" is not going to be the big development that they think it is.

Just my opinion.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2003 at 09:08 PM

Quote:

Cabo is 1000 miles from the nearest big city, have you ever seen the prices for food, fuel and other things in Hawaii?

Cabo has accomodations for everybody, from the Hotel 2 mares at around 35dllrs a night, to the Ventanas del Paraiso at over 1500usd a night, if you dont do your research you will pay more, just like you would in any trip to anywhere in the world.

FirstFederal

[*] posted on 2-15-2003 at 09:14 PM

Wow, that was a quick response!

I'll start with the services in Tijuana. The municipal water system. It operates nominally, but not well, efficient, economically and is sometimes a bit septic.

The sewer system is in much the same state. It depends on where you live as to how fast it will be fixed and how often it will receive phased maintenance.

I don't know how many six pacs I have purchased where the clerk tell me to hold it from the bottom as it will fall out if I don't. In fact, there is where I learned the phrase "Nothing in Mexico works as it should." It was a clerk in a small neighborhood store in Coyoacan that told me that, several times.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2003 at 09:15 PM

Quote:
I didn't say that I don't like it, the fact of the matter is that I do like Mexico. There are many things to like and enjoy.

A majority of the people don't think in the mindset of getting as much as they can no matter who they rip off.

I have good experiences in Puerto Vallarta, Guadalajara, Taxco and others as well. I steer clear of what looks like corporate development, for the most part.

I don't think Mexico should operate as in the US. That's making an assumption based on your own biases.

I think things should work as they were intended, not an ersatz or adulterated product. An there quite a few. Any consumer of products deserves this. In that sense Mexicans are ripping people off, both American and Mexicans alike.

Don't think that I'm attacking Mexico either, I'm just pointing out the "the ladder" is not going to be the big development that they think it is.

Just my opinion.

Whos responsible for really ripping people off in los Cabos? the Mexicans selling curios at the beach? the Fisherman? the maids? the bartenders?

I think we very well know that the big corporations are the ones responsible for making los cabos a high priced resort, if you want to know whos ripping you off look at the Time share people (all americans mostly), the Hyatts, the Westins, the Melias, etc etc. And as far as the astronomic real estate prices go, i can tell you that a house a fellow american real estate broker sells you for 150,000usd, i can buy the property and build the same house for almost half as that.

Its not us Mexicans that are ripping you off.

FirstFederal

[*] posted on 2-15-2003 at 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE

Really? Mexicans are not ripping anyone off? I think that may not be entirely true.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2003 at 09:23 PM

Quote:
Wow, that was a quick response!

I'll start with the services in Tijuana. The municipal water system. It operates nominally, but not well, efficient, economically and is sometimes a bit septic.

The sewer system is in much the same state. It depends on where you live as to how fast it will be fixed and how often it will receive phased maintenance.

I don't know how many six pacs I have purchased where the clerk tell me to hold it from the bottom as it will fall out if I don't. In fact, there is where I learned the phrase "Nothing in Mexico works as it should." It was a clerk in a small neighborhood store in Coyoacan that told me that, several times.

I am online right now, thats why you got a quick response:)

If you compare Tijuana with the richest nation on earth, you will find plenty of things that do not meet US standars, but saying nothing in Mexico works is a bit extreme because theres plenty of things that work, and some even better than in the US.

Tijuana has one of the highest growth rates in the western hemisphere, and Mexico is not rich, i live in Tijuana and i can tell you that i am never without the service of water or sewage. The trash gets collected monday mornings like clock work, and my cable, power, and water bills are delivered on time.

What you are talking is about the new settlements on the outskirts of town, wich are growing so fast that the goverment is having a lot of problem in catching up to the growth.

My suggestion to you is to dont make categorizations of Mexico without really knowing whats going on.

Theres plenty of things that are better here than in the US, you just dont know it.

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2003 at 09:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE

Really? Mexicans are not ripping anyone off? I think that may not be entirely true.

Of course theres plenty of crocked Mexicans, but Baja is not expensive because of Mexicans, i am sure of that.

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2003 at 10:50 AM

"There is nothing in Mexico that operates as it should. This is not an insult, just an observation of everyday ordinary things there. "

I'm SURE you meant to preface that remark with"For us Americans".

Well, To this American the reverse is generally true. Sure the trains don't run on time and basic services can be spotty but I'll trade that any day for common civility. Jesse's right. If you want things to work just like they do in the States, stay home.

An example of how things can work down here:

In Tijuana yesterday I had my knee operated on. My pre-op visits were extensive with genuine care and concern expressed for my welfare. The doctor was always available for consultation without prior appointment and when arriving the waiting time was minimal. We conversed not just about my injury but of his and my family and their welfare. In short,we became friends.

Yesterday, I arrived at the hospital at the scheduled time,was greeted warmly and prepared for surgery. Every detail was explained in advance. I felt comfortable during the procedure. Post-op was uneventfull. When the doctor found out my wife has difficulty seeing at night he offered to DRIVE ME HOME even though it would be far out of his way. He called last night to check on me and his instructions were to call him 24/7 if I had questions or complications.

The cost? Less than $2,400 and that will include two or three followup visits. Although it was a bargain financially it was the genuine concern and TIME spent on my behalf that sold me. Could you imagine anything like this happening in the States?

I'm mighty glad that nothing in Mexico works as it should.:D)

FirstFederal

[*] posted on 2-16-2003 at 12:20 PM

Dave, You may have just scanned my posts, but I did not mean to preface it with "For Americans". This is also something that many Mexican thinks. I have heard that from more than one Mexican.

Good to hear the your surgery went well and that you are on the mend. I have heard a lot of things like yours too. But not all are good. My Step-grandmother went to Tijuana for cancer treatment, the extract of Apricot pits. Same as you, she adored her doctors and the Nurses too.

Stay home? Not me, the adventure is the fun of it. The things that don't work are things to be dealt with, and lessons to be learned.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2003 at 12:41 PM

Quote:
Dave, You may have just scanned my posts, but I did not mean to preface it with "For Americans". This is also something that many Mexican thinks. I have heard that from more than one Mexican.

Good to hear the your surgery went well and that you are on the mend. I have heard a lot of things like yours too. But not all are good. My Step-grandmother went to Tijuana for cancer treatment, the extract of Apricot pits. Same as you, she adored her doctors and the Nurses too.

Stay home? Not me, the adventure is the fun of it. The things that don't work are things to be dealt with, and lessons to be learned.

First federal,

You are welcomed in my home, you can come and travel and do what you love to do, yes theres plenty of things that are not like back in the states, but you have to either have to learn to operate in the Mexican system (its possible), or at the very least dont whine about it.

I work in the Restaurant industry and i sometimes hear tourist say "well back in ****** we do things this way, or things are better" and i am amazed and always wonder, what are you doing here then?

Baja its always been for the people that want to rough it, yes now theres plenty of nice things but its still a place for lonewolves, for adventurers, for special people and not the flocks of people that see europe from the comfort of tour buses.

If you come to Baja expecting to find US-south, your going to be very dissapointed and people arent going to like you, but if your open minded and friendly and find more value on fighting a 60 pound Dorado than on what the acommodations are at resort, you are going to have the best time ever, and people here are going to go out of their way to try to help you.

FirstFederal

[*] posted on 2-16-2003 at 07:35 PM

Thanks for the advice Jesse. Did you check your U2U?

I can't beleive that I got myself into a position of looking like a whining Gringo. Oh well.

US-South? Please, gimmie some credit.

I don't think it's whining to echo sentiments of the host country. I never say to anyone, in any country, "Back in the USA, yada, yada, yada."

That is so rude and out of line.

There is room for improvement in every country that I have been to incuding the USA.

[Edited on 2-17-2003 by FirstFederal]

[Edited on 2-17-2003 by FirstFederal]
FrankO
Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 2-16-2003 at 09:16 PM
First Federal website.

Nice site. When I read about all the unfinished projects down south I always visualize all of the gate pillars that are crumbling out in what seems like the middle of nowhere. Just one of the things I love about baja.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.