Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Salsipuedes canyon trip
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2008 at 12:17 PM
Salsipuedes canyon trip

A few years back I had the opportunity to go to this truly remote and beautiful canyon. Earle Stanley Gardener wrote about it is his book "Hoovering over baja". we found the place where he had to lower his "pack Jacks" down a cliff. After seeing that cliff it is amazing they were able to do it. The canyon itself is also spectacular with running water and thousands of palm trees.
Larry

[Edited on 8-11-2008 by larryC]

scenery3 BN.jpg - 43kB
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2008 at 12:26 PM

LarryC,

Welcome to the board and post more photos if you have them. My "dad" Herman Hill has visited this canyon and talks about it often, telling me, "Get out while you can!" It's on our "to do" list.

Saludos!
P<*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2008 at 06:11 PM

Welcome to BAJA NOMAD LARRYC,where is this canyon?.

[Edited on 8-14-2008 by BAJACAT]

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-12-2008 at 07:40 PM

Larry, I want to hear more... I am a fan of the Gardner expeditions and am still searching for a lost mission site (well a lost site from the mission era, anyway) that his 1966 expedition found south of Bahia de los Angeles! http://vivabaja.com/1757 (on page 2).

Another Nomad who rarely posts (Bill B) has a Rokon 2WD scooter.... he wants to get into Salsipuedes from the north dry lake bed (like Gardner's team did).

Bill B also went up to the DC-3 plane wreck on Gobernadora peak which is the headwater of Salsipuedes... that Gardner mentioned.

Anyway, welcome to Nomad and please tell more!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaboolie
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2008 at 08:36 PM

I'd like to know where it is too. Thanks for attaching a photo. It's beautiful. Welcome to the forum!

Bajaboolie
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 8-12-2008 at 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Larry, I want to hear more... I am a fan of the Gardner expeditions and am still searching for a lost mission site (well a lost site from the mission era, anyway) that his 1966 expedition found south of Bahia de los Angeles! http://vivabaja.com/1757 (on page 2).

Another Nomad who rarely posts (Bill B) has a Rokon 2WD scooter.... he wants to get into Salsipuedes from the north dry lake bed (like Gardner's team did).

Bill B also went up to the DC-3 plane wreck on Gobernadora peak which is the headwater of Salsipuedes... that Gardner mentioned.

Anyway, welcome to Nomad and please tell more!!

David,

I just skipped across my AAA map but did not find Salsipuedes on it, is it near L.A. Bay?

Chuck

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2008 at 08:12 AM

Hi gang,

Salsipuedes (Get out, if you can) Canyon is between Gonzaga Bay and L.A. Bay, and is a branch arroyo off of Arroyo La Asamblea (which is on most maps).

Erle Stanley Gardner saw the palms from high above and was determined to get in there! Read his 1961 'Hovering Over Baja'

Here's the map from his book:

[Edited on 3-17-2012 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2008 at 09:54 AM

Hi All
Glad to see there is some interest in the canyon, I have lots more pictures but don't see any way to upload them in a reply. I'm not a bulletin board expert by any means.
DavidK,
I think we found Gardeners original camp site from when they took the overland route. We found an old campsite at the base of a rocky hill with a marked trail that goes over to a dry lake bed and then from there you can travel down a wash to the cliff where they lowered the pac jacks over the cliff. I compared the phots of the cliff in the book with my photos of the cliff and it is the same cliff. We couldn't get our quads over the rocky hill so we had to walk a long ways. That cliff would be a trip stopper. 40' high and pretty much straight up and down. I wouldn't want to lower my quad over it and then have to pull it back up.
You can also get into the canyon from the mountains above Asamblea and Salsipuedes, there is a road that goes up to a seasonal rancho and from there you can drop down into Asamblea, or a mile or so before you get to the rancho you can drop off to the right and get into Salsipuedes. That would be a fun trip, you could walk all the way down to the coast and then have someone pick you up by boat and get back to BoLA.
As far as the mission ruins Gardner found, he was in a helicopter so who knows where he was exactly, I asked Francisco Munoz before he died, but he didn't know either. Anyway I wonder if it is somewhere near Santa Gertrudis in the El Arco area? Neat area and needs to be explored alot more.
Larry
I think I figured out how to add photos.

[Edited on 8-13-2008 by larryC]

[Edited on 8-13-2008 by larryC]
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2008 at 11:48 AM

Welcome! Sure would like to see more pictures of that canyon and a little larger.

So, here is a link to a recent thread about using Photobucket for posting pictures here. It helped a few people----hope it helps you and if you need more help, just ask

Using Photobucket

Good luck---will be waiting to see more pictures.

Diane

larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2008 at 05:07 PM

One more try.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2012 at 04:04 PM

Larry, still would like to see more of your palm canyon photos!

Bug
Junior Nomad

Mood: Life can not get better than this!

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 06:44 AM

I would like to go there.. Anyone up for a trip...
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 09:01 AM

Bump!!! This is the coolest thread in months.

Many thanks, Larry, and the rest of you folks.

Barry
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 09:01 AM
you asked for it

Here are a few more pics

This was our transportation up to Sasipuedes canyon, we could take 2 quads and one utility trailer per trip, it took 2 trips to get all our stuff up there. We were lucky going, mirror smooth water for 40 miles.

Once off the boat we headed up the canyon, and guess what? We found quick sand

Found a place to make camp

then we went exploring

To give this shot some perspective, the black dots in the lower right corner are a quad and a person walking away from the quad. The colors in this shot are not photoshopped, there are lots of giant pink volcanic ash formations, Very pretty country

This is the cliff where Gardener and crew lowered the Pak- Jaks down and back up. I climbed the wall and would not have wanted to attempt what they did, better men than me.

Getting back to BoLA was another story, when we went back down to the coast the wind had come up and the boat could not get in close enough to load the quads so we ended up leaving the quads on the beach and we had to wade out into chest deep water so we could get on the boat. The quads sat on the beach for 6 days before the weather cleared enough so that we could go get them. All in all quite an adventure.
Larry
bajario
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 09:15 AM

More! Awesome trip.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 09:55 AM

I am truly blown away, Larry. What a fantastic adventure, and accomplishment. I am sooooooooo envious of you guys------this "trip" of yours has been a dream of mine for 30+ years.

Your over-water transporter alone is incredible-------where did THAT boat come from?? Love it!!!!

Yes, more pics please.

Is there any chance of getting a quad or MC down to the canyon bottom (Sal Si Puedes) from the road to the Rancho at it's headwaters, you think?

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 11:55 AM
Hovering Over Baja (1961)

Thank you Larry! You mastered the photo posting, and these are great!

[Edited on 3-18-2012 by David K]

bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 12:01 PM

Really interesting, Larry. Many thanks for the posts. Great photos.

Allen R
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 04:13 PM

Barry
Not my boat, but it is a very practical boat for down here, pretty neat to be able to beach the boat and ride your quad off into the hills.
There is no way that I know of to take a quad or bike down through salsipuedes or asamblea from the ranchos at the top. There might be a way from the dry lake bed up top, we are going to explore that more in the near future and see what we find.
Here's a few more pics:

More pink volcanic ash

David
Not sure "mastered" is the right term, but at least I can now get them on here in less than a day.
Larry
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 04:22 PM

good stuff!

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.