Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Salsipuedes canyon trip
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2012 at 06:49 PM

OK I googled "rokon" and came up with this. SWMBO is not gonna very be happy.
[img]http://[/img]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-22-2012 at 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
OK guys, I give up, what's a rokon? And in my view, going up the canyon from the water is far more interesting.

A Rokon is a 2 wheel drive motorcycle... Like a 4 wheel drive car... the front and rear tires are both driven! Made in Sweden, I believe. Search Nomad too.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2012 at 07:22 PM
Rokon.com

[Edited on 3-23-2012 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

El Camote
Senior Nomad

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 3-22-2012 at 07:27 PM

Nice pic DK but I liked Santiago's photo better. Just seemed to have a little more.....bounce.

Knowledge is good. - Emil Faber
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2012 at 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Camote
Nice pic DK but I liked Santiago's photo better. Just seemed to have a little more.....bounce.

There isn't a photo (I can see) posted by Santiago... just a marker of where there was one. It must have been removed pretty fast??!!:light::lol::wow:

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2012 at 08:32 PM

this is a really neat thread ...amazing photos you posted Larry ... wish I were 30 years younger too .....

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2012 at 07:56 AM

David
Thanks for the tutorial, that helped alot. I new it was simple just had to know which buttons to push and in what order.

The dry lake I am talking about, I call Botica dry lake, probably not the real name. From what I could gather from Francisco Munoz, ESG camped in the dry lake you talked about driving to, and then took the bikes across some rocky hills to another dry lake and down a wash to where they dropped the bikes off the cliff and then around to the north and into Salsipuedes and Asamblea canyons. Makes sense when you look at the picture from GE.
The guys I went into Salsipuedes with in 05 made another trip in 2010 that I was not able to go on. Anyway they went all the up Salsipuedes and got to the Botica dry lske without going over ESG's cliff. So I was thinking that maybe there is a way into Botica dry lake from maybe Yubay area and if so you could then access salsipuedes by land and not be at the mercy of the sea and winds. After looking more at GE that does not seem possible.
Larry
PS Glad others on here like this thread, it was one of my favorite trips since I have lived here in the area.
LaPazGringo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2012 at 08:02 AM

Larry, I think I met you or someone in your trip a few years ago while staying at Racquel and Larry's in BoLA cause I remember that boat. Part of the group was fishing and part of the group was taking quads into Salsipuedes. The group was from Sacramento (I think!). Was that you? I'm tall and was staying in one of the rooms downstairs and was on a black enduro motorcycle.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2012 at 08:55 AM

Yes that was us. If you were there in 2010 then that was the trip I was unable to go on. I went on the 05 trip. Hoping to do another this coming Nov.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-23-2012 at 09:05 AM

Larry says,

"The guys I went into Salsipuedes with in 05 made another trip in 2010 that I was not able to go on. Anyway they went all the way up Salsipuedes and got to the Botica dry lake without going over ESG's cliff. So I was thinking that maybe there is a way into Botica dry lake from maybe Yubay area and if so you could then access salsipuedes by land and not be at the mercy of the sea and winds. After looking more at GE that does not seem possible.
Larry"

I am thinking that since we know that the ESG crew went over the "cliff" (dry waterfall) in La Botica Canyon with his Pac-Jacs and therefore had to have driven the Pac-Jac's across "Botica dry Lake" to get to the upper reaches of La Botica canyon, and we know that ESG's base camp was somewhere in the big dry lake area to the south (Valle Laguna Seca), then it seems logical to me that since we know that ESG's crew found a way to drive their Pak-Jacs from the base camp to Botica dry lake, and we know that any good 4x4 can reach the Valle Laguna Seca, then there IS a way to drive at least motorcycles between the two dry lakes. And NOW we know (?) that Larry's friends accessed Botica Dry lake from Sal Si Puedes canyon without going over the dry waterfall, then it follow that THERE IS a way to drive overland to the big canyon complex without going there by water, or going over the dry water fall.

All that remains is to discover those overland routes that these 2 different groups have already traversed, and connect them up?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Does this make sense???

(Neal Johns could probably drive his pickup camper over the route, based on past experience) :lol:

Barry
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 3-23-2012 at 10:04 AM

Barry A.
I don't think so, Barry.
I have been in the area but it looks like two miles of hills/mountains between "ESG's Camp?" north to get to Botica dry lake. There is a very faint road to near "ESG's Camp?" from the south. See small red circles (You must look a Google Earth to see road).
Neal

Botica area [800x600].jpg - 42kB

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2012 at 11:30 AM

I see your point, Neal. But am I correct in that ESG's crew drove their Pak-Jac's from the supposed location of ESG's base camp in Valle Laguna Seca to, and over the dry waterfall in Botica canyon, presumably also driving by or across Botica Dry Lake to get there?

I have reviewed the book "Hovering----" but I can't (so far) find the section that explains that (if it is even in there).
So, I am making the assumption that is what happened, which means that at least a ROCON, or light motorcycle, COULD get to Botica Dry Lake from Valle Laguna Seca, and then perhaps down to Sal Si Puedes via some route other than over the dry waterfall & Botica Wash. (ref. what the 2010 explorers are reporting)

I admit that looking at GE it looks like it would be more feasible to come from the Mesa Yubay area, but only ground exploring or a new report would solve the issue, I suppose.

Barry
LaPazGringo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2012 at 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by larryC
Yes that was us. If you were there in 2010 then that was the trip I was unable to go on. I went on the 05 trip. Hoping to do another this coming Nov.

Okay, the guys I made friends with were a father and sons I think? He referred me to ESG's Hovering book which Larry (Racuel & Larry owner) loaned me. That was the first I ever heard of ESG's baja books and I started reading it at 10pm, hanging on every word until the wee hours when I turned the last page. It's be mind-blowingly fun to do that today, but can you even imagine how excited ESG's crew were to go in there, having no idea if man had even been there before?
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2012 at 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
I see your point, Neal. But am I correct in that ESG's crew drove their Pak-Jac's from the supposed location of ESG's base camp in Valle Laguna Seca to, and over the dry waterfall in Botica canyon, presumably also driving by or across Botica Dry Lake to get there?

I have reviewed the book "Hovering----" but I can't (so far) find the section that explains that (if it is even in there).
So, I am making the assumption that is what happened, which means that at least a ROCON, or light motorcycle, COULD get to Botica Dry Lake from Valle Laguna Seca, and then perhaps down to Sal Si Puedes via some route other than over the dry waterfall & Botica Wash. (ref. what the 2010 explorers are reporting)

I admit that looking at GE it looks like it would be more feasible to come from the Mesa Yubay area, but only ground exploring or a new report would solve the issue, I suppose.

Barry

Barry
They didn't actually drive their pakjaks over the hill and into botica dry lake. they were able to manhandle the pakjaks over there. If you read that part again you'll see the ESG couldn't do it himself and had to have help. I have been there looking for their route over that hill. There is sort of a path, but lots of big boulders and sharp jagged rocks to negotiate. I don't mean to imply that it is not possible but I have yet to find a route over that hill. If you are ever in this area and want to go look at it let me know.

La Paz gringo
Sounds like you met Craig and his son in law Dane. They went in in 2010, I think in November or so. They had perfect weather the whole week.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 3-23-2012 at 06:10 PM
FRICKEN AWESOME

THANK's someplace I havnt been,,cool !! K&T
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2012 at 08:13 PM

Many thanks, Larry. I will go back and review the book more carefully. What you say explains a lot.

Darn, I thought I was "on to something". :lol:

Barry

edit------I finally found the part of the book that explains what you are saying (and got so involved that I read the book for the second time all night)---- ESG is vague, but they sure had their struggles getting their equipment into Botica dry lake over those mountains before they used a helecoptor.

Back to the drawing board--------the challenge continues!!! :?:

[Edited on 3-25-2012 by Barry A.]
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2012 at 06:07 PM

It amazes me that 50 years later salsipuedes is still so hard to get into. Without a helicopter a boat is the next best vehicle, and if the water gets rough all your stuff and quad gets soaked. Oh well the cost of adventure.
Larry
Mark_BC
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 11:21 AM

OK guys ... I plan to do this canyon solo in a few weeks. I don't think it's rained lately but I'm taking all my own water anyways. I have a Surly Pugsley fatbike with a trailer. Then I'll packraft back down the coast. I'll have two seawater desalinators -- one a hand pump and one a campfire distiller.

We checked out the dry lakebeds last year and it looks like you could haul your bike over into the canyon but I discovered an easier way to enter. I'll go in from the west, there is a dirt road leading from the main Baja highway that goes right into the head of the canyon. From there I'll just follow it all the way down.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark_BC
OK guys ... I plan to do this canyon solo in a few weeks. I don't think it's rained lately but I'm taking all my own water anyways. I have a Surly Pugsley fatbike with a trailer. Then I'll packraft back down the coast. I'll have two seawater desalinators -- one a hand pump and one a campfire distiller.

We checked out the dry lakebeds last year and it looks like you could haul your bike over into the canyon but I discovered an easier way to enter. I'll go in from the west, there is a dirt road leading from the main Baja highway that goes right into the head of the canyon. From there I'll just follow it all the way down.

Wow, this is GREAT!!! Please let us know how it goes-------that DOES look like a very logical approach, to me.

Barry
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 11:33 AM

Mark why don't you start a new thread and link to this one. it would help visibility for your trek if you want it.

suerte!

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.