BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  
Author: Subject: When was your first visit to Baja?
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 03:26 PM

1962 on liberty from Camp Pendleton. I rode with a guy in an old DeSoto beater and the water pump started going out north of San Diego. We kept drinking and turning up the radio. On the way back the pump gave up, we left the DeSoto on the side of the road with the pink on the seat and hitched back to the base.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 06:52 PM

Was 1959 and stationed in San Diego. Went to TJ. Don't remember a thing.
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2011 at 12:06 AM

December 1951
Was on a college break
Went south to Ensenada to find clear warm water for spearfishing
Found clear water but certainly wasn't warm water.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2011 at 10:51 AM
The Bridge

First time...was in 1972. I too....was stationed at the US Naval Fleet.

We all headed over to TJ with our fresh military haircuts and the "G I Joe walk"..........and once we were at the old bridge....it was hookers and beer time. Being young and stupid at time......that was the only time for me with the ladies. Marc .......I think you were at the bar with us ;D

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 6-26-2011 at 11:13 AM

1950 .... Ensenada ... deep sea fishing with my Dad.. 8 years old.. then starting going further down ... to Johnson's Ranch... just camping out ... surf fishing and digging clams.. and some belly boarding with homemade stuff... from popular mechanics ...

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2011 at 02:19 PM

Thanks for bumping this thread up David... I missed it the last time around.

Many interesting stories.

1984 for me... directly to Hussongs in Ensenada! I don't remember the rest of that trip... :lol:

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 6-26-2011 at 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez

We all headed over to TJ with our fresh military haircuts and the "G I Joe walk"..........and once we were at the old bridge....it was hookers and beer time. Being young and stupid at time......that was the only time for me with the ladies. Marc .......I think you were at the bar with us ;D

Yes, that was me face down on the floor.
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 6-27-2011 at 06:44 PM

To Ensenada...with my Mom, brothers and future stepdad. Stayed at a trailer on the beach owned by my Mom's BFF.

We rode horses on the beach, swam at a secluded beach south of town and visited the tourist shops in town.

I remember being quite scared on the drive home Sunday night. The old highway ran through the hills on a very dark, narrow and windy road.

I liked it though and visited Ensenada and TJ over the years. Then in 1991 My son and I took the first of numerous trips to the East Cape for fishing at Palmas de Cortez. I was definitely 'hooked' on Baja at that point.

Miguelamo :yes: :spingrin: :yes: ;)
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2011 at 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez

Yes, that was me face down on the floor.

You did get the best looking one of the group :lol:

ug.jpg - 7kB

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
EdZeranski
Nomad

Mood: Si! Como no???

[*] posted on 6-28-2011 at 08:53 AM
1st Baja

Summer 1965 to TJ and a bit south. Really started to explore in 1968 after my all expense paid SE Asian vacation. My friend Tom had a WWII Army ambulance, Dodge Power Wagon, that we took to Baja and Borrego. Down South we bought gas at ranches and strained it through chamois to trap some of the water and there was a big filter on the gas line. I bought bricks of .22 long rifle ammo in San Diego then gave boxes to the gas selling rancheros as a tip. They were stoked! Back then it was no big deal.

EdZ KG6UTS
OB, Borrego and Baja!!
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2011 at 07:11 PM

With my family to TJ in 1957, then on my own starting in 1963, over 100 trips so far.
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 6-29-2011 at 08:13 AM

Aarrrgggghhhh!!!!! I'm a 'newcomer' more or less. First time was about Feb. 1987 when my brother & I flew into Loreto from Oregon to see what was so great about 'Baja'!!!! We left Eugene Oregon in a rain storm. We arrived Loreto in a 'sunshine' storm. What a difference. Our cousin had been coming down for a number of years in his 33' Airstream, and he did nothing but 'brag, brag, brag' about his experiences. Mostly about the fishing & camping on 'Rattlesnake Beach' near Puerto Escondido. Well, we were 'smitten'. We spent the next two weeks there in his tent, drinking Pacifico's, fishing, sunbathing, meeting incredible campers at evening campfires, shaking hands with 'Mexican dogs', meeting Mexican 'peddlers' selling everything from Ironwood carvings, to lobster, scallops, clams, and fresh veggies. Came back camping. I eventually bought a home in Nopolo we had for seven years. Sold it, and still drive back to Loreto to visit friends and then on to Cabo for two weeks at a resort/timeshare. There is nothing like this experience, short of sex that does the heart so good. I'm looking forward to many more years of experiences. cousin nor my brother come down anymore. Their loss.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-29-2011 at 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil S
... We spent the next two weeks there in his tent, drinking Pacifico's, fishing, sunbathing, meeting incredible campers at evening campfires, shaking hands with 'Mexican dogs', meeting Mexican 'peddlers' selling everything from Ironwood carvings, to lobster, scallops, clams, and fresh veggies... .

Very cool... and when they come up selling their stuff while we are camping on Bahia Concepcion, I love the reply when I ask: 'How Much?"... the reply is always: "For you, my friend, ALMOST FREE !"

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2011 at 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajamedic
1965 was the first for me, I was ten years old; my father and uncle were helping to build a small church in San Felipe, as my father was the manager of a building supply establishment in the bay area (of California), the local builders were aware of his project in Mexico and they kept a corner stocked with supplies to take on his next trip.

If my father and uncle were not working on the church, they were fishing, I can remember them unloading two garbage cans (when they were metal) “full of fish”, well maybe not full, but there were a lot of fish. They kept enough fish for our dinner and gave the rest away to the locals. My time was spent exploring the area, making friends, fireworks and time on the beaches, finding strange little creatures in the tide pools that needed my entertainment, walking up to the local bar for a warm coke and there was this very pretty local girl that was about my age, that I enjoyed spending time with, our communication was very limited, but our actions and play time was memorable (I think it was one of my “first loves”). One of our trips, I fell asleep on the beach, lying on my stomach and burned my back until there were blisters… ruined the rest of the trip for me… o well next time. I recall the launching and retrieving my uncle’s small fishing boat and just how willing the locals were to help weight down the old 4X4 truck as it backed out so far into the sea, now I understand just how glad the guys were to take fish home for their families.

I remember just how poor the local pastor was, he and his family were living in a tarpaper shack (literally) and still, the whole family was happy. They were pleased to offer us dinner with their family, although at the time I just was not ready for what they could afford to serve. I did not understand them sweeping their dirt floors and being happy to bring us into their home. It took a long time for me to understand that their happiness and pride did not come from what they possessed or their positions in the community, their happiness was deep inside and it was about being a family. JH

This is so true... We tend to take things for granted, with our new motorhomes, new cars,trucks, jet skis the big over priced house we can't afford, and dig ourselves into very deep holes with debt. To pay for the debt we find ourselves living to work rather than working to live and provide what we need. This is one of many factors contributing to the rise in divorce rates n.o.b. 50% by last count. Any who great post, love the church building.

UNA MAS CERVEZA PORFAVOR, CON 5 TACOS DE TIBURON..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXKHaeBGsI
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 6-29-2011 at 09:51 PM

bajamedic...

First...I like your pics, love the old B and W's!

Second...if they were going to make a movie about your story...Tom Hanks
could play your dad! (or is that your uncle?) I showed the picture to my buddy and said who does the guy in sunglasses look like? Without hesitation he said "Tom Hanks"

Miguelamo :yes: :yes: :yes:
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 6-30-2011 at 08:34 AM

1974, at age 30. After selling my business in Minnesota I found myself in California with a new Honda 750. I had spent Minnesota winters reading about the races in Baja and since the new highway was complete I decided to aim the bike south. Got an auto club map and took off. It was a great bike road when new, fresh asphalt with great scenery and no traffic to speak of. Stopped in Mulege for a week staying at the Hacienda then rode on to La Paz which I thought was one of the nicest towns anywhere. Took the bike on the mostly dirt road to Cabo San Lucas which was vastly different than now and absolutely beautiful. My plan had been to take the ferry that at that time ran from Cabo to Puerto Vallarta but after thinking about it decided that I wouldn't fine any place that I would like better than Mulege. Returned there and found a nice little house to rent then returned to the states and returned to Mulege with my pre-school age daughter (3) and my son (6) where we spent most of the next year and a half. My boy was already doing well in school and I did a home school program for him while we were there which also helped my daughter since she sat in on the lessons. A single Dad with little kids was quite a novelty in Mulege at that time and we were treated very well by the community. My children remember it as a great time and they still return when they can. 37 years later I still ride to Mulege a couple of times a year and Kathy and I spend as much time there as we can, just limited my the fact that she isn't retired yet. Lots of great memories.
dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

Mood: rather be on the beach at Gonzaga

[*] posted on 6-30-2011 at 09:09 AM

a real new guy here...we made the 1st Baja trip about 5-6 yrs ago.

We had been on a short off road trip out of Puerto Penasco with a group of about 16 vehicles, across the RR tracks and salt flats to the beach, then an amazing run up 40 miles of vacant beach to El Golfo...had a blast, ...

about a year later when on the internet to see if they were gonna do it again, but found another group over at www.4wdtrips.net that were planning a BAJA trip....which included whales at San Ignacio

the group was VERY accomodating...re-arranging their departure to match up with my paramedic schedule...so now we are headed to Baja for the 1st trip with 8 folks that we have never met (turns out that one lived literally 2 blocks from us!)

We joined up in Yuma, crossed at Algodones and headed south...we wound up with a very late start and wound up in San Felipe in the dark during Semanta Santa...introduced to my first bowl of ceviche at the liitle roadside stand just as you exit south..FABULOUS...then spent the night at Punta Estrella

the next morning we departed early for Gonzaga Bay.....WHOA...I like off road travel, but was not prepared for 50 miles of that!! (nor was my wife)...made the stop at Coco's....then Mex 1 to San Ignacio, resupplied, then on into Antonios (again arriving at dark) camped on the beach...early AM onto the Lagoon and playing with and touch the whales...stroking the baleen inside the calf's mouth was the highlight of the trip

....stayed in Guerrero Negro on the return...when we got to the Chapala turn off...my wife REFUSED to go back up that road!!! we didn't have enough time off to go around thru San Diego...sooo (after learning about airing down AND proper washboard speed) we arrived at Gonzaga Bay about 1030...wow...we finally dropped our kayak in the water (been on top of the FJ since we left AZ)

and the rest is history...great kayaking, great fishing we fell in love...we have been back once or twice a year since (if I had the time it would be monthly)

great people (locals and ex-pats), no travel fears...checkpoints more professional then some of ours, great food...

.love this site, so I can travel along vicariously with you early Baja travelers...I grew up on the east coast (LI,NY) and had heard great stories about the Baja 1000, etc...but it was almost 30 yrs AFTER moving to Tucson that we actually got to go

Thanks
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2011 at 11:40 AM

1968 with parents. first solo was in '73 with some high school buddies, one of whom had a aunt or something that lived in tj. we stayed in her house the first night-after making the obligatory rounds of bars and "sideshows". we stumlbed into the room around 4am, happy to have shelter. a lot of activity was goijng on at that residence during the rest of the night. turned out it was a, weel, no-tell motel that she operated. rest of time was spent in ensenada and at san miguel.

the following weekend, which was the 4th of july, i went back to san diego to visit a girl i met in hussongs the week prior. we went to hussongs for a sunday brunch, so to speak, and barely made it back home...

anyway, i was hooked ever since that first trip in '68.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-30-2011 at 12:56 PM

About 50 yrs. after the thrill was gone.
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2011 at 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
About 50 yrs. after the thrill was gone.

I hear you, I'm going to Fiji next, cheap like Baja used to be and they speak english.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.