BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Photo trip report- How We Spent our Summer Vacation - June 17 - Aug. 17 '08
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2008 at 10:38 PM

wOW thats what I call a trip report, thanks PAULINA

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 8-30-2008 at 06:33 AM

Paulina,

Thanks for a great trip report ....

And the photos were awesome !!

CaboRon

oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2008 at 05:17 PM

Thoroughly enjoyed your report Paulina.

Favorite picture: Dern petting his spotted buddy.

Favorite story: Wading in 94° water sipping c-cktails after dark while a whale breaches in the distance. You can't make up that kind of stuff.

Sorry I missed: Seeing a whale shark, let alone swimming with them!

Not sorry I missed: 110° and the smelly whale on the beach.
CasadeSuenos

Mood: wishin' i was t

[*] posted on 9-3-2008 at 11:23 PM

LOVED the report.....i am sure our 10-2 week trip will sail by. You in SLO county CA??? that's where i'm from:) spending the nite manana Thurs in Pizmo Beach. Plan to head south of ze border Friday am to make it deep into Baja hopefully San Qunitin or El Rosario and then Mulege by Sat. or we may stroll a leetle slower. Thanx for sharing! fabulous-o!!!!!!!!!

susan& jim+critters:)
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2008 at 04:53 PM

Somehow I missed this report. Enjoyed it very much. It's very Paulinaesque. Examples: raven head on a fork, the ever present Ava, and the empty truck with waves rolling across it's internals.

The whale sharks are something I really want to see someday. Ditto for the finback whale, but that is more unlikely.

All in all, I'm jealous.

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
I never, ever, ever will get tired of this view:

I never do either. I'm sorry to see the power lines as they weren't there when we came by. But there were signs of changes.

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina

Didn't realize that Fitzcarraldo had made his way to baja:

fitzcarraldo.jpg - 35kB
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2008 at 09:09 PM

Igor,

You need to come down next summer, in August. The whale sharks will be there as well as the Finbacks. The feeding whale that I photographed this summer was in the exact same place we saw one feeding last summer. I believe I posted photos of that one last year. They're there, we just need to get you there too.

Thanks for the smile regarding the Fitzcarraldo. Those boats, they have a mind of their own to go where they want to go...over hills, over islands...you never know. As long as I don't eat a rubber oyster at her stern I'll be happy.

Now if you show up in a white linen suit and straw hat, that will be the icing on the cake. I might even let you take a photo next to my raven head.

P<*)))>{

[Edited on 10-9-2008 by Paulina]

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2008 at 02:40 PM

Awesome Paulina - missed you again - Next time stop by - it looks like the place is coming around! We're heading out Friday - where was the sperm whale carcass located? We were all over the place and never saw it - thanks - Marv
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2008 at 03:05 PM

Hi Marv,

We'll catch each other one of these trips. Dern was just there a couple of days ago, planning to return on Monday the 15th. It sounds like he'll just miss you too.

The sperm whale is on the north/west side of Smith, I believe the first cove south of the tip, but not as far down as the reversing water fall.

P<*)))>{

Wiles
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2008 at 03:15 PM

Paulina

You just put a GIANT smile on my face. Great report. Muchas, muchas gracias.

p.s. I did gringe a bit with seeing the power lines. Change is good, but with those changes comes the loss of so much that made Bahia such a special place.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2008 at 04:07 PM

Paulina,

Are the whale sharks and the whale a summer phenomena? We missed them when Alex and I were there (late june / early july).

We have trouble with the heat in BOLA during the July-Sep time frame. I think being in a camper is hotter than in your set up. I recently came across an air conditioning unit made by Coleman that runs on batteries. It said you have to keep feeding it ice somehow and it creates a 'cold mist'. Have you heard of or tried something like that? It would be great to sleep at night on the roof somehow but that's not one of our options.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 9-10-2008 at 06:13 PM

Great photography! :yes:I loved this trip report!:spingrin:

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2008 at 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Paulina,

Are the whale sharks and the whale a summer phenomena? We missed them when Alex and I were there (late june / early july).

We have trouble with the heat in BOLA during the July-Sep time frame. I think being in a camper is hotter than in your set up. I recently came across an air conditioning unit made by Coleman that runs on batteries. It said you have to keep feeding it ice somehow and it creates a 'cold mist'. Have you heard of or tried something like that? It would be great to sleep at night on the roof somehow but that's not one of our options.

The whale sharks are definately a summer time attraction. The later in the summer, the better. I'm not sure what to tell you about the whales. I've seen them there year round, but being that we spend the most time on the water during the summer, that might be why we usually see them in larger numbers during that time of the year. Maybe someone with more experience/knowledge of whales can jump in here.

As far as the whale feeding spot, (the southern end of Smith), there must be an upwelling there or something that makes it a popular spot for the hungry guys? Don't know for sure, other than that's where we often see them.

We spend 99.9% of our summer living out of doors. I think we only use our trailers to sneak something out of the fridge or to powder our noses. Right now we have a deck that we sleep on, but as of next week it's going to be torn down.

When my kids were little we used to sleep inside with the air cond. running off of the generator, but we haven't used it in years.

I've never heard of the Coleman unit you mention. I think having to keep that much ice on hand during the summer would be difficult and expensive, and the town does run out.

We are thinking about hooking box fans up to our solar set up next summer for those nights when the breeze off the water doesn't bless us with it's company. Hopefully we'll have a newer/bigger deck by then so you and Alex can join us.

P<*)))>{

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2008 at 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
I recently came across an air conditioning unit made by Coleman that runs on batteries. It said you have to keep feeding it ice somehow and it creates a 'cold mist'. Have you heard of or tried something like that?

Here is a picture;
You fill a cooler with ice and it has a fan that blows the air through.
$40 if you think it will do any good.

KoolerAire_Unit1.gif - 16kB
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2008 at 09:24 PM

Diver,

It's both an ice chest AND an air conditioner? On really hot nights we take our ice chest to bed so we can dip our sheets into it. If it could sit there and blow cool air on us at the same time, we'd be in heaven!

P<*)))>{

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2008 at 10:47 PM

Yes I just looked it up myself. How long would the ice last in BOLA if you're sucking in August air? Maybe 1/2 hour?

Perhaps a large fan would be better. Found one by O2 with a 10 inch blade that runs on 8D batteries. That should generate a decent breeze. On the other hand last August I was in the internet kiosk with all the fans going. It was unbearable.

Perhaps it's just something you have to just get used to it. I used to go on those Tony Reyes trips myself, Paulina, in late July. There was no air conditioning. You just slept on the top bunks on the upper deck. And it wasn't too bad, actually. The crew never slept in their cabins. All were on deck. We would sit at night under the lights and fish for anything that came to our floating island. The stars were so clear and distinct. I'm rambling ...
guero_con_taco

[*] posted on 12-6-2008 at 12:04 PM

Wow, great TR. Those photos of the whale sharks blew me away. Thanks for posting!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.