BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: How about having Off Topic Posts NOT included in 'Today's Posts'?
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-5-2004 at 08:55 PM
How about having Off Topic Posts NOT included in 'Today's Posts'?

Just a thought... but it seems very few people can mix politics and Baja friendships... With so many more posts lately on the Off Topic/non-Baja forum, when one opens the Today's Posts list, he/she sees fewer and fewer Baja related posts.

Franky, when I come to Baja Nomad... I prefer to read Baja posts... I bet I am not alone. The Off Topic forum is very popular and I enjoy it as well (to a point), but it may be turning more Nomads off than on???

What to do? Well, I am not sure and this is Doug's baby. I don't know if it is possible, but is a seperate location for the Off Topic forum doable OR make Off Topic posts not pop up, mixed with Baja articles when we open the Today's Posts page.

I am just wondering if this will bring back some of the regular Baja contributors of the past, who may be not posting to avoid confrontations of a political narture. Some of the anti Bush, anti American posts are so distracting from what we go to Baja for and why we read Baja Nomad.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Brian Hadcock

[*] posted on 5-5-2004 at 09:50 PM
Off Topic

I agree, I have come to this site to read about Baja. I realize that there are those contibutors that what to disscuss politics, but unless they are of a concern to Baja and us as visitors, then prehaps David is correct and the comments can be side track to the " Off Topic/ non-Baja forum" site and not in the today posts. Any other thoughts?

Life is a test. There will be questions.
jide
Nomad

sad.gif posted on 5-5-2004 at 10:42 PM

Great idea David,
the political bashing got so bad lately that I don't go to "today's post" anymore but stick mainly to "general baja discussion"
:barf:
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 5-5-2004 at 10:47 PM
Off with the 'Off Topic'

I agree, removing the OT's from the 'todays posts' would make life easier to read the 'real' Baja stuff. Don't know it's actually that easy to program, though...

I have to admit I'm one of those that wouldn't miss the Off-Topic stuff at all - it really needs to be posted on some other board that caters to that kind of stuff...maybe the category should be called "Way, Way Off Topic"...as that's where it seems to have wandered.

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2004 at 10:55 PM

There's an off-topic board here???

:lol:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2004 at 11:12 PM
You poor, poor, poor puppies!

Just can't manage to click on what you want without getting insulted that what somebody else wants is available? Funny, I manage to avoid the stuff I'm not interested in just by looking at the name of the poster much of the time! Don't even have to pay attention to what forum it's in.

If I can do that, I would think most of you well educated worldly guys could manage your clicker even more adeptly. Is it having to bear witness to the post titles that insults you? -or what?

I'm afraid there are basically two types of people - those who are inclusive and those who need to elevate themselves through exclusion. I thought we'd settled that issue, at least for the purposes of this site, but I guess the beat goes on.....

Anyway, luckily, I've found Doug to historically be the former type of person instead of the latter. That's why I like it here.

And the day most of YOU stop posting on the Off Topic board, you might have a bit of a better leg to stand on.

Happy 5 de Mayo. -Stephanie:spingrin:

When the goin' gets tough, the wierd turn pro
Herb
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2004 at 11:38 PM
C'mon Stephanie

They didn't say they were offended by the off-topic stuff. They just said that they didn't want to wade through it to get to the Baja info.

While I enjoy reading the banter sometimes, it also gets tiresome to me some days to have to read 50 lines to find the dozen or so messages I want to read. And sometimes I'm in a Baja mood or other times I'm in a mood to read political debate, and there are many who probably come to the board just for Baja information and then leave before they ever find it. It's easy to say just go to each individual forum but that's a pain because there are several other forums that get lighter traffic, but I like to see when new posts come in (like photos)

The ideal would be a way to "subscribe" to particular forums in much the same way you would with a newsreader. That feature, to me, would be far more useful than "buddy lists." Of course, we probably should not be preaching/begging to Doug, but to whomever produces this software.

BTW - I'm glad to see you seem to be feeling better.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-5-2004 at 11:49 PM

I am just trying an idea to bring back more Baja writing people (more inclusive).

I am not for getting rid of the 'sounding' board Steph... Free speech is big with Doug, and that's great... But scaring off good Baja writing talent is not good.

I want Doug to have great success, and appeasing the half dozen heavy off topic users at the expense of losing a few hundred Baja topic users is hardly democratic, eh Stephanie?

Oh, and dittos to what Herb said, I hope you are recovering well!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

dbrooks
Junior Nomad

Mood: The shock treat

[*] posted on 5-6-2004 at 08:18 AM
Stephanie...

People come to this board for BAJA banter, not your political drool.

If I want to read your nonsensical political opinions, I will go to a POLITICAL board - what a concept.

I agree with David K.
bajaloco
Nomad

Mood: wishin I was fishin

[*] posted on 5-6-2004 at 08:33 AM

I totally agree with David...Go one step further and move the Baja Politics forum also...It has become" World Politics" and very little to do with Baja. You have a handful of people making their point over and over and over...it get's old.
Juan
Junior Nomad

Mood: Life is good.

[*] posted on 5-6-2004 at 09:25 AM
Stephanie has it right

Anyone can avoid posts that they do not want to read. DON'T OPEN THEM!

Personally, I enjoy reading the differing opinions on a variety of subjects. What seems to be the problem here is some people would like to see censorship because they do not like opinions that vary from their own.

The reason I lurk on the Nomad site (and even post occassionaly) is because we have a variety of people with differing world views contributing to the conversation. There are other sites, one of them even talks about Baja once in a while, where you, and everyone else, will follow the party line, or else. Some of us find that boring.

Keep it up Steph, Juan

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephanie Jackter
Just can't manage to click on what you want without getting insulted that what somebody else wants is available? Funny, I manage to avoid the stuff I'm not interested in just by looking at the name of the poster much of the time! Don't even have to pay attention to what forum it's in.

If I can do that, I would think most of you well educated worldly guys could manage your clicker even more adeptly. Is it having to bear witness to the post titles that insults you? -or what?

I'm afraid there are basically two types of people - those who are inclusive and those who need to elevate themselves through exclusion. I thought we'd settled that issue, at least for the purposes of this site, but I guess the beat goes on.....

Anyway, luckily, I've found Doug to historically be the former type of person instead of the latter. That's why I like it here.

And the day most of YOU stop posting on the Off Topic board, you might have a bit of a better leg to stand on.

Happy 5 de Mayo. -Stephanie:spingrin:
ArvadaGeorge
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2004 at 10:33 AM
Just Baja

I look in just for Baja
I'm in favor of todays Baja posts
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2004 at 01:00 PM

The board is fine the way it is, why fix it if it aint broken?

dbrooks
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2004 at 01:31 PM
I, personally...

am all for censorship! We must STOP those who have bad brains!

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas. "

Joseph Stalin
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2004 at 01:37 PM

Beware of those that come to you saying they know the truth, because the only one that knows the truth is god, and nobody else.

Do you claim to know the truth?

dbrooks
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2004 at 01:39 PM
To whom

do speak, OB1?
Nikon
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2004 at 08:03 PM

I can certainly understand why OFF TOPIC posts are tasting a little sour right now to some of the cheerleaders of our administration, now that chickens are starting to come home to roost.
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2004 at 08:37 PM
Touche, Nikon!

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2004 at 09:39 AM

If we should limit what shows up on Todays Posts, we should be able to set what shows up and what we don't want to show up by setting that in our personal settings. I personally want the off-topic stuff to show up, but I understand that some may not have the stomach for it, and it stands to reason that they should be able to block it out if they so desire and if the board owner wishes to grant this.
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2004 at 12:17 PM
Of course, Pachoderm.

If they want to regulate what THEY see, that's certainly fine - as long as they don't want to regulate what EVERYBODY sees - and you know as well as I do that the latter is the real intent here......- Stephanie

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.