Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Tequila Tasting Results
GeoRock
Nomad

Mood: Always have one

[*] posted on 5-6-2004 at 08:27 PM
Tequila Tasting Results

Results of the Tequila Tasting at Keri?s book signing

First place won by a large margin: Gran Centenario Anejo Tequila, 100% Agave. It was a winner, hands down.

Second place was Tequila Corralejo, reposado. If one shops around, it can be found for $22 (liter) in Rosarito Beach. Cost about $32 in San Felipe (for one liter). Cost $20 for ? liter in Bahia.

Third place was Tanaya. Comes in a plastic beehive shaped bottle, with an attractive cost of $17 pesos.

Others in the contest: Viva Villa ($1.65 for 1 liter, tastes like kerosene); Tequila Joven Casco Viejo; Sauza extra tequila gold; Cabo Wabo; the blue label Cien Anos; and 5 others, for a total of 12 tequilas.

Participants had a great time, with much discussion about prices, tastes, and where to get the best deals on tequila.

Special note to Tim and Tracey: All of us missed you two at the tequila tasting! I saved you samples (of each tequila) that night. Took them to Keri in the morning only to learn you had already left town. Very sorry you were indisposed and unable to join us, especially after traveling to the event because of the tequila tasting!!! Next year?

A big hearty thank you to the folks that generously denoted tequila samples even though they weren?t involved in the tasting. That was a generous touch, one that us Baja Gurlz passed along?.but that is another story, one to be posted later. Anyway, it was very nice and I thank you.

To those that left their tequila in my keep: I didn?t really want to leave tequila for the morning workers, so I took it to my condo. I left a note letting you know to come get it?none of you did, so it left town with me. I just want to let you know the Baja Bodacious Blond Babes put it to very good use over the next few days. Thank you for your generosity.

I look forward to the next tequila tasting, as always. I?ve hosted about 12 of them over the years and it has always been a pleasure. Thanks again, everyone.
:smug:

http://reinventmyself.isagenix.com
For rapid weight loss; building of lean muscle for athletes; and overall improved health through nutritional cleansing.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-7-2004 at 12:23 AM

Thanks to you GeoRock... Never before have I had so much fun drinking tequila... 12 kinds!

The Gran Centenario was so far advanced in sipping pleasure over all others, it was almost incredible. Thanks to elgatoloco and BajaBarb for bringing that one, for sure!

Wasn't the Cabo Wabo stuff about the worse? A big surprise was how poor the Cazadores rated, as well. I did remember Cien Anos being 2nd place for some reason??? Maybe the tequila had already affected my memory? Perhaps I am just thinking of the restaurant in Tijuana by that name, I ate at?

I also want to thank another couple who donated a bottle, but didn't return after they went to dinner, to join in... that was Tristan and Kristen. Tristan posts on Fred's board as Oiler-fan.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

GeoRock
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2004 at 07:01 AM

DK--you are welcome. I, too, had a lot of fun. It was a great group of tasters, and a good group of supporters nearby!

The Gran Centenario was excellent. Thanks Elgatoloc and BajaBarb, and thanks for your generosity! Pete enjoyed a taste last night-I believe his reaction was "superb."

The Cabo Wabo was not the worse, but it didn't rank as highly as I would have thought. It did alright, though.

The Cazadores suprised us all by being rated the lowest, with comments such as "kerosene" being thrown around. Remember, the tasting is blind. Cups just have a number and bottles are hidden so no one knew what they were drinking.

Thanks, too, to Tristan and Kristen. Your donation helped to make the contest more fun. Hope you make it next time!

For rapid weight loss; building of lean muscle for athletes; and overall improved health through nutritional cleansing.
tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 5-7-2004 at 08:25 AM

Much fun.....and we appreciate all that you and other did to make it happen...we are already talking about next year. Thank you Geo....It was a pleasure to meet you.
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

question.gif posted on 5-7-2004 at 12:11 PM
Gran Centenario

What is the cost for the Gran Centenario?
And where do you get it?
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2004 at 05:02 PM

Bodega La Playa
Plutarco Elias Calles No. 1450 (aka 11th Street)

I found a reciept from February showing $254.00 pesos minus a 5% discount!

The exchange was 10.85 per dollar so the cost out the door was $ 22.24 US. That is also what I paid a few weeks ago. I may be heading down Sunday for re-stock as I am having to consider drinking one of the other 19 bottles of Tequila I have in my office. Decisions, decisions! Oh well , there is always wine!!

Calimax usually has it for a bit more. I hear that Smart & Final has good selection and prices although I can not confirm how much.

Maybe go to Bristol Farms in LH and check. I got some VERY good mezcal there awhile back. Mezcal Chichicapa Del Maguey Limited. Ver smoky with a nice bite and a smooth finish.

Para Todo Mal Mezcal
Y
Para Todo Bien Tambien

Jonathans in La Jolla sells Gran Centenario A?ejo for $59.00. :biggrin:

[Edited on 5-8-2004 by elgatoloco]

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2004 at 06:07 PM

Tonaya got 3rd place????????

That stuff is poison, only hard core construction workers drink that.

jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 5-7-2004 at 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Tonaya got 3rd place????????

That stuff is poison, only hard core construction workers drink that.

Actually, the bottle says Tonayita. What can I say? I'm a contractor's daughter!:saint:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2004 at 09:54 PM
GeoRock...

There were two plastic bottle tequilas. Both were beehive shape. One had a blue lable and was bigger. The other, a gold lable (I think)... Which one is Tanayita and what was the other's name?

The smaller gold lable one is what was passed around the campfire at Camp Gecko a couple years ago. Humfreville's, Travelpearl, Paulina, Beach Bob, etc. were there... as were the magic rocks.
It was surprisenly drinkable!

[Edited on 5-8-2004 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jeans
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2004 at 10:22 PM

Tonayita comes with a blue label with clouds. I don't know about the other one, as this was my bottle.

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
GeoRock
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2004 at 11:32 AM

Okay, I have the other bottle. It is a beehive shape containing 960 ml. It is 27% alcohol. With a yellow label, it's name is "Tres" and appears to be from Tonaya, Jal. There are 3 king's crowns on it under Tres.

Last trip I found a premium Tonaya, costing a whopping 2 pesos more than this Tres stuff. The premium (and it said the word premium on the label) was actually much better then this yellow label. I've looked since then for the "premium" and haven't been able to find it.

If you use this stuff for margaritas, along with orandain(tequila liquor-not sure about name), it makes anice drink.

bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 5-8-2004 at 12:57 PM
what are you drinking???

I do not believe you are drinking Tequila if it has a yellow label at 26% Alc. and is 960 ml from Tonaya,Jalisco...and is 17 Pesos per bottle...it sounds like you are drinking bathtub rum,the label i am looking at states"destilado de ca?a" witch i think means distilled from sugar cane....bottoms up

I hear the whales song
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2004 at 01:19 PM
The beehive bottle

bottle passed around at Camp Gecko was Mezcal (I bought it in town for $1.60USD), I first spotted it on the counter at Tripui Rv Park south of Loreto while picking up my laundry...it cost $1.25 USD (this was 1997) I bought several bottles to bring as gag gifts for friends (turned out it wasn't too bad) it also comes in a beehive bottle with yellow label (I never remember the name), just know it when I spot it.
GeoRock
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2004 at 05:13 PM

At the tequila tasting, all types of tequila are encouraged. That way we can distinctly tell the kerosene from the finely tuned drinks.
I believe you are correct, it is from sugar cane and is not really tequila. It was fun to compare it anyway.
When I drink tequila, I usually have correljo, though now that will become gran centario.
Well, I'm off to celebrate our 22nd wedding anniversary tonight. Wow. My how fast the years have passed!

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2004 at 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeans
Tonayita comes with a blue label with clouds. I don't know about the other one, as this was my bottle.

Tonayita and Tonaya are virtually the same thing, pure alcohol with a bit of Agave to make it drinkable, be careful, the stuff is barely legal.

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2004 at 10:25 AM

Update

Beverages & More is selling Gran Centenario A?ejo for $54.99!!

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2004 at 06:10 PM

Matt, can you shed some light on the cheap 'tequila' or 'mezcal' called Tres in the plastic bottle? Is this cheap agave juice or rum (cane liquor) with a splash of agave? Is this "dangerous" to consume?

Remember the mezcal at Taco de Huitzilipochtli the owner served us? SMOOTH!
PabloS
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2004 at 06:24 PM

Liquorama is selling Gran Centenario Anejo for $49.99 online here is the link>>

http://www.liquorama.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdI...
jeans
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2004 at 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Remember the mezcal at Taco de Huitzilipochtli the owner served us? SMOOTH!

I don't know the differences either, but what Sr. Cordova serves to those who ask is "Pulque". Georock's eyes just about popped out of her head when she read that on the menu. :o Unfortunately, he was out and would not have any until the 15th (If I understood him correctly...a big "if"). He also said that it was not available for purchase anywhere.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2004 at 07:09 PM

That's a 10-4 jeans... it is pulque, not mezcal. Pulque is the first stage of the tequila process, mezcal the second, and tequila the final step... as I understand this.
Thanks for the correction. Remember how good it was? Did you gals have the Kahlua topped flan?

[Edited on 5-10-2004 by David K]

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.