Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Canyon Diablo Bedevils D'Rat!....The Journal
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2004 at 10:30 PM
D'Rat,

I'm printin' and headed for the sack early to relax and read your story over the ceiling fans of rural Ventura county and wishing they were the crackling snaps of a small campfire in Bahia de Los Angeles on a cool evening. Thanks amigo.
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2004 at 08:31 AM

DR thanks for the story. We were all rooting for you on the board. We had some updates on your hike. I'm glad you made it out ok. Sure sounds like you had a great time and meet some nice new friends. If you try it again give us some dates maybe some of us could tag along if you didn't mind. Thanks Paul
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2004 at 09:35 AM
Been waiting

Hey DR
Been waiting for this story to be posted. I just missed you as you left town - saw Wornout's broncoII headed down the road. He had called me on the radio that you were back and OK. Great story reminding all of us what Picacho del Diablo means.

Here's a pic of you and Wornout in his buggy just before you headed out to the desert.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
jide
Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 5-7-2004 at 02:40 PM

Thanks for the great report, DesertRat, I was really looking forward to read it. David and I were thinking about you when we saw the dark clouds and thunder rolling over the tall peaks, north of where we were exloring.
Any plans to go back?
jide
Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 5-7-2004 at 05:34 PM

Are you planning to go back from the canyon or from the observatory? I'd be willing to join the next attempt.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-7-2004 at 06:02 PM

Yah D'Rat, you were in our thoughts as we were driving by on Diablo Dry Lake... I was hoping to find you walking towards San Felipe so I could have the pleasure of giving you a ride!

As for jide joining you, that would be a great thing... he brings the finest French wines and cheeses!:P:tumble::yes:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2004 at 02:07 PM
FANTASTIC RON!

Thanks for taking the time to share your adventure with us! You never cease to amaze me! :o
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2004 at 04:19 PM

Desert Rat

Thanks for the story!

Last Tuesday we meet four people who were heading up to the summit from the observatory side. They said that from the western base of the peak it was four hours up and three hours down.

go for it! :)

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2004 at 05:21 PM
Ron.....

Please tell your brother and sister thanks for "demanding" you write up your story.

When do you think you might try again?

Brendan and I will be heading down about the second week of June and staying south for about 6wks., no real plans, just roaming....We would be happy to pick you up at the border, drive you into (and set up base-camp, AT THE BOTTOM, to wait for your return) providing of course you agree to take along my camera (it has a timer on it) and share your adventure with us. :yes:
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2004 at 06:36 PM
The next assault

Hey Ron

Be sure and let us know when you try it again. We'll give you all the support we can here in San Felipe. Again great write up.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5-10-2004 at 04:48 PM

Great story! Hope you make it next time(heck--its a great excuse for another trip!).
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2004 at 08:06 AM
Great Story!

Thanks for the report DR.
Full moon June 1. How about a canyon approach June 1-5 more or less?
I'm with you, the western approach is about bagging the peak but the eastern approach is about the desert blending into a peak, the jouney.
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2004 at 07:30 PM
D'Rat

What an epic! I would have been afraid to do that trip alone, but you took care. Mary Ann and I have been out to Santa Clara and El Chinero and explored much of the dry lake right up to the foothills, but we have never done any serious hiking in that area. If you'd have made it there would be one less adventure waiting for you.

Thanks for the great story!
cristobal
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2004 at 01:13 PM

DR ...
what a great story ....
I did NOT realize that there was so much water on the EAST side. Glad you made it out OK ... You make me want to put on my pack and head for PICACHO del DIABLO.
How is that WRIST doing ....???

:o:fire::bounce:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-14-2004 at 06:17 PM

Cristabol, almost all the eastside canyons have water flowing out to the desert... Perhaps why so many Indians survived in that part of Baja? Did you see the photos of the canyons south of Diablo and north of Matomi?: http://vivabaja.com/404 Heck, there is even hot and cold running water in one canyon! Baja is awesome!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2004 at 08:10 AM
Water

D'rat
All the canyons I have been in on the east side of the Sierra San Pedro Matir (about 10) have water flowing all year. Rarely does it flow into the valley going underground near the mouth of the canyons in the spring and disapearing farther up in the canyons later in the year, but if you go up a half mile or so you can find the streams. Several of the canyons have pipes coming down from where the ranchers have made a small dam or utilized a natural one. They pipe it out to their stock tanks and for other ranch uses. A large pipe is being installed in Provedencia to water what I have been told will be a avacado farm?

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5-15-2004 at 08:23 AM

Isn't it a little too hot for avocadoes out there? Which reminds me, can anyone update me on the status of the olive farm operation around the Guadalupe Canyon area--haven't been there in a couple years to see if there actually making a go of it...?
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2004 at 10:09 AM

It is pretty hot in the valley in the summer all right. The area they talk about is just north and west of Chinalito. I was told this by a Mexican friend who is a contractor in town and again by a American friend who just bought 3000 acres in the south part of the valley and a small plot near Canyon Tulare. They also are drilling wells near the mouth of Providencia and have a pipeline running north.?? We've seen these projects start around here before but not last. About 6 years ago, they fenced the old alfalfa fields with rabbit wire, installed drip systems with fertilizer in the water and grew watermellons and cantalope. One season then they just left it go.
Hope whatever they are doing works out for them.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2004 at 10:31 AM

Hey Lou
Who else is buying up valle chico? Do you know what groupo it is in or the parcel #?
I was told last year that there was a moratorium on wells in the north end of Valle Chico as CESPA wants another major pipeline from that area to serve the north beach areas (this is of course just roumers). I wonder if the wells you are seeing are part of that project or just for the members of Groupo Cajon.
Also many of the old wells in the area caved in because they were pumped dry.
burro bob
cristobal
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2004 at 02:39 PM

DK ...
I just did NOT realize that there was that much water on that side ....
WEST of SANTA AGUEDA there is a small creek that flows all year .... and especially heavy in the month of AUGUST .... I guess that I never see it because that is NOT my favorite month of the year to be there .....

Several years ago I drove to the camp below the OBSERVATORY and walked up. After taking PIC'S ...and enjoying the view ... I went back down and camped close to where I parked.

The next day I headed toward DIABLO thinking I could turn around if I got uncomfortable. Like DR ... I walked with my head down to watch my step and soon couldn't tell where I came from .... I went a couple of hours towards the PEAK .... then turned around and went back .... I thought if I had some kind of markers to tell where I had been ... it might be better.
I heard of a guy that started below the OBSERVATORY in JUNE ....went up the peak ... signed one register ... went over to the other ... signed it .... and came down ... all in the same day ....
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.