Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: 4 Los Cabos police arrested for murder of American
Coatlallope
Banned

[*] posted on 8-30-2008 at 11:31 PM
4 Los Cabos police arrested for murder of American

An American from oregon, Sam Botner, was arrested at the La Jolla condominimums in Cabo. The cops took him to the police station, handcuffed him, and beat the crap out of him, leaving him on the jailhouse floor where he drowned in his own blood. Videotapes at the jailhouse have been erased or blocked out. Some evidence was destroyed. The state attorney general's office is investigating and the US Embassy has asked for information on the matter.

http://www.tribunadeloscabos.com.mx/newpage/index.cfm?op=por...
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 8-31-2008 at 06:01 AM
And The Hits Just Keep On Commin'

I am just contunuely amazed at the low lifes that inhabit the police departments in Mexico.

Was there ever any attempt to train or screen these cave men BEFORE they were hired ??

Where is the accountability ?

CAboRon

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-31-2008 at 06:52 AM

becoming a cop in mexico is a surefire way to double the size of your chilito. you know, machismo...

Hooker33
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2008 at 07:36 AM

From the article in the Tribuna I was not able to translate the cause for the arrest of Mr. Botner. Can you help me out? This is another example of the problems we face as residents in Los Cabos.
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 8-31-2008 at 07:43 AM

I have yet to have a problem with the small town cops in Baja Sur. But the police in La Paz or Los Cabos are to avioded at all cost in my experience. Interactions with them often result in mordida...or worse. The last thing decent folk in Los Cabos need is a horror story like this. "Low Season" will be hitting all time low's.

[Edited on 8-31-2008 by Cardon Man]
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 8-31-2008 at 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hooker33
From the article in the Tribuna I was not able to translate the cause for the arrest of Mr. Botner. Can you help me out? This is another example of the problems we face as residents in Los Cabos.

As I translate it...Botner was involved in a fight with another guest at La Jolla resulting in arrest.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2008 at 09:12 AM

I am trying to get more info on this incident
And, yes, this is all we need. Can you say "mas bajo de todo"?

baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2008 at 09:48 AM

Sam is a known drug dealer in his home town in southern Oregn. I feel sorry for his family but maybe the cops should get a promotion
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 8-31-2008 at 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by baja Steve
Sam is a known drug dealer in his home town in southern Oregn.

I believe you, but how do you know this?

It was Ronald Reagan who said, "trust but verify."

[Edited on 8-31-2008 by oxxo]
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2008 at 10:01 AM
More defense of the MX cops doing their job

When cops are painted in ''broad strokes'' and sweeping generalizations and stereotypes, especially Mexican cops, I'm always puzzled. Who are the people making these inaccurate and unfair accusations?

In EVERY police department, including the New Orleans police department, there are a handful of bad cops -- guys who will take money, turn their back on someone needing help, and even using their authority and power to line their pockets.

I've heard the number is 10%. At the LAPD, that's about 1,000 ''badges''. Being F-over by one of these scumbags is luck of the draw.

Generally, and I write that word in loose terms, there are more honest and decent cops in Mexico (Baja) than there are bad ones. There might be some ''stations'' that have MORE than 10% bad cops, but that too is luck of the draw.

The problems might be ''regional'' as well. DF being one of the problem areas -- just as New Orleans has had it's problems.

I think it's the nature of police business. Good guys move on or up (lateral moves) and bad guys stay on and get hardened and calloused.

When you're in trouble and/or need help, who you gonna call?

If you're innocent and have committed no crimes, you have nothing to worry about.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 8-31-2008 at 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
When cops are painted in ''broad strokes'' and sweeping generalizations and stereotypes, especially Mexican cops, I'm always puzzled. Who are the people making these inaccurate and unfair accusations?

In EVERY police department, including the New Orleans police department, there are a handful of bad cops -- guys who will take money, turn their back on someone needing help, and even using their authority and power to line their pockets.

I've heard the number is 10%. At the LAPD, that's about 1,000 ''badges''. Being F-over by one of these scumbags is luck of the draw.

Generally, and I write that word in loose terms, there are more honest and decent cops in Mexico (Baja) than there are bad ones. There might be some ''stations'' that have MORE than 10% bad cops, but that too is luck of the draw.

The problems might be ''regional'' as well. DF being one of the problem areas -- just as New Orleans has had it's problems.

I think it's the nature of police business. Good guys move on or up (lateral moves) and bad guys stay on and get hardened and calloused.

When you're in trouble and/or need help, who you gonna call?

If you're innocent and have committed no crimes, you have nothing to worry about.

It's the vitims fault... It's a media problem... The security problem is only in Baja Norte... Tourists aren't the intended victims...

Mexico indeed has a death penaty- just no trials leading up to them. There must be a box on the police application that asks if they tortured their pets when they were young. It's the same sick menatality that is pervasive in the police, army and narcos.

After the decaps near Cancun, the shootouts in TJ and now police murders in Cabo- there's little reason for tourists to visit Mexico.

Mexico is just stuck on stupid- it's the only explanantion. It needs to wipe itself and flush twice.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2008 at 10:23 AM

Mexican authorities investigate death of Oregon man

By Serena Markstrom

The Register-Guard

Published: August 31, 2008 12:00AM

The Mexican equivalent of the Attorney General’s office is investigating the death of an Oregon tourist who was beaten by local police while vacationing in San Jose del Cabo, a beach town near Cabo San Lucas on the Baja Peninsula, according to Mexican media reports.

Mexican news outlets have reported that the death appears to be aggravated murder, and the United States consulate in Mexico has intervened on behalf of the tourist, Sam Botner, who died Aug. 27 at a jail.

Botner died after four officers allegedly beat him, an assault that a local paper, Tribuna de los Cabos, says was caught on jail video and witnessed by other police and inmates.

No English language accounts of the death or subsequent investigation were available, but according to Spanish language papers, police involved in the death are being investigated for negligence and “golpe,” which translates to “beating.”

Classmates.com lists a Sam Botner as attending Yoncalla High School from 1984 to 1988. Mexican newspapers report that Botner was 38 and was from Oregon. Attempts to reach Portland resident Kim Botner, which one newspaper said was the name of the victim’s wife, were unsuccessful Saturday.

El Sudcaliforniano, another paper in Baja California, reported on Aug. 29 that Sam Botner’s wife, Kim Botner, identified the body.

The pair apparently was staying at a condo where police responded to a woman’s call that she was being robbed by a man. Three agents and a commander arrived and beat Botner, the presumed robber, both at the condo and later at the jail, the newspaper reports. Botner was pronounced dead on arrival at a Mexican clinic.

The four police involved were detained the night of the incident, but three disappeared by Friday, the Tribuno reported.

The paper reported Saturday that the jail surveillance tapes had been tampered with, prompting investigators to quickly secure other evidence from the scene.

Witnesses said that after the jail beating, Botner tried to sit up, but started to convulse then appeared to choke on his own blood, the newspaper reported.

Other detainees called out for the police to help, and they came immediately but the man was already dead, the newspaper reported. Investigators found the surveillance tapes tampered with and the cell Botner was in had been cleaned, the newspaper reported.

Dave
Elite Nomad

shocked.gif posted on 8-31-2008 at 11:26 AM
Areyoufrigginkiddinme?

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

I don't know if you could say that with 100% certainty anywhere but certainly not ever in Mexico. If that were the case this place would be overrun with tourists...And all the police would starve.

As to your, "more honest and decent than bad cops" comment:

Percentage of Mexican authority taking, or has taken a bribe. What's your best guess?

[Edited on 8-31-2008 by Dave]

Bajajack
Banned

[*] posted on 8-31-2008 at 11:54 AM
There are no honest cops

in mexico, half of em are just plain bad and the other half either ignore it or look the other way.

\"take what you can, give nothing back!\"

We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.\'

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

We can have no \"50-50\" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all.

Theodore Roosevelt
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2008 at 01:26 PM
Redefining ''is''

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

That's MY belief system and how I think. I've been around the block -- no reason for me to think things are going to change -- in my belief system of cops.

Quote:
If that were the case this place would be overrun with tourists...And all the police would starve.

Baja and MX isn't for everyone. Some would argue that Baja/MX is already overrun by tourists. I wouldn't.

Quote:

Percentage of Mexican authority taking, or has taken a bribe. What's your best guess?

I can't guess a percentage and there's no way to accurately put a number on my statement. Everything is subjective -- so if you think all cops are corrupt, that's how it is for you.

I don't consider a cop taking a bribe as corruption. Cartel activities and decapitated people would be corruption.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

F*ck it.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2008 at 01:48 PM
Obviously

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
I don't consider a cop taking a bribe as corruption.

But it is.

Plain and simple.

stanburn
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2008 at 01:58 PM

I am just wondering, am I the only one to ever compare present day Mexico to the United States 80 - 100 years ago?

Mexican revolution ended in 1917, 91 years ago.

Think about the United States in the late 1800s and early 1900s.

Why would you think the Mexican society can advance more rapidly than the United States?

Proudly living full-time in Mexico and safer here than NOB!

Stan in Santiago
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-31-2008 at 02:05 PM

they have a great blueprint to go by NOB. they're too dumb to want to advance any faster, obviously. the wild west is no more. 3rd world cops with first world tourists......not a good combo.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2008 at 03:36 PM
My final answer

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
I don't consider a cop taking a bribe as corruption.

But it is.

Plain and simple.

Plain and simple for you. I'm happy for you.

It's not plain or simple to me, and I have my own opinion. A bribe is not corruption to me.

F*ck it.
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 8-31-2008 at 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by stanburn
I am just wondering, am I the only one to ever compare present day Mexico to the United States 80 - 100 years ago?

Mexican revolution ended in 1917, 91 years ago.

Think about the United States in the late 1800s and early 1900s.

Why would you think the Mexican society can advance more rapidly than the United States?

Proudly living full-time in Mexico and safer here than NOB!

Stan in Santiago

Mexico didn't get a clean start like the US did. Mexico carried on the corrupt ways of the Spanish because they didn't have the leadership to do anything else.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.