Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Flying to Baja
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-1-2008 at 03:00 PM
Flying to Baja

I have an aircraft scheduled for the some weekends in September. I got a called from my insructor inquiring as to the status of a trip I scheduled to B. Asuncion on Sept 13-15.

I am seeking people who want to fly down there with me and share the expense of a rental aircraft. It will be an even split by the number of occupied seats based on the actual expenses including the insurance, landing fees, aircraft rental, etc.

It is a little expensive compared to driving. But it is very fast and very relaxing and the view is fantastic. And there is no crime that I know of at 7500-8500 feet where we will be flying.

I haven't received any serious inquires so I will cancel the aircraft reservation for that weekend. Probably in the next few days if there is no interest.

I am going to fly to San Quintin in the next couple of weeks to finish the aircraft checkout and get my license current. I'll fly there with my instructor and it will be a 1 day practice run. I already have made a trip there including landing on my own private runway at Pedregal.

The locations that make sense for a light aircraft are.

San Filepe and nearby locations
Bola and San Fransiquito
Punta Chavato and Mulege
Ensenada and San Quintin
G. Negro and B. Asuncion

My primary goal is to fly to the spots where the fishing is best for the time of year and the weather is good. And the closest location to Brown Field to keep expenses to the minumum possible.

I've flown to Loreto and points south but it is really better to jump on an airliner for those locations.

So if anyone has any interest and has dates that they want to go on a trip please U2U me. I will reserve the aircraft for that time.

San Quintin is getting past it's fishing peak for this year but has maybe another month.
Bola is the next logical location and the points south.

I would really like to go visit Juan and Shari in B. Asuncion.

My plane is parked at Brown Field in San Diego. I will provide more detailed information to people who U2U me with serious interest.

Thanks for reading this thread! I hope we can go flying together!!!

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

palmeto99
Banned

Mood: Trying to bring the worlds people together one post at a time.

[*] posted on 9-1-2008 at 03:46 PM

OK, I will respond because everyone else is going to be polite .

No one in their right mind will fly halfway down to Baja with a rookie pilot in a rented plane to land on a dirt strip with a pilot who is trying to get some hours under his belt..

There , I said it. Now release the hounds....:lol::cool:

The advice I am about to give you is worth what you are paying for it.
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 9-1-2008 at 03:54 PM

I've done it !

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 9-1-2008 at 03:56 PM
Sure, I will respond (although it will be futile)

Quote:
Originally posted by palmeto99

No one in their right mind will fly halfway down to Baja with a rookie pilot in a rented plane to land on a dirt strip with a pilot who is trying to get some hours under his belt..

Instead of your comments, which are non-reflective of the post in question, why not ask for more info.

Where does it say "rookie pilot'??
He says he is going to "get current"

My daughter resigned five months ago after five years as a United jet pilot- has not flown since- therefore is not current-
Would you call her a "Rookie Pilot"?

You should work harder on facts, and less on knee-jerk comments...

IMHO
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-1-2008 at 03:57 PM

seems kinda fun. definately will put the pucker factor back into a baja trip.... we'll see in the future....

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-1-2008 at 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by palmeto99

Palmeto99,

I have asked you twice today already in U2U's to stop insulting me and harassing me in general. I have also reported you to BajaNomad 3 times today. One of your obnoxious posts was already deleted.
You may not want to fly with me and quite frankly I wouldn't take you anyway. So if you don't want to fly with me please mind you own business.
I will request that if you are not interested in flying with me please don't respond to this thread.

Thank you

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

KAT54
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2008 at 04:03 PM

Some people are not so cowardly.

Palmetto99 (Pierce)
"Please do not retire in Mexico, visit Mexico, or invest in Mexico.
We will never return and are willing to give up what is ours just to be safe."
http://www.mexicovacationawareness.com/mexicostory.html
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-1-2008 at 04:16 PM

right on Bajarunner!!

this palmetto99 character - what a killjoy! his life must be very boring & sad. does he ever have anything positive to say?

go for it Bucky. this is exactly how i got my baja experience. learning as i went and taking friends!
what a blast! well, hundreds - maybe a thousand by now - of baja flight hours later here i am still going and loving it!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
palmeto99
Banned

Mood: Trying to bring the worlds people together one post at a time.

[*] posted on 9-1-2008 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KAT54
Some people are not so cowardly.

Palmetto99 (Pierce)
"Please do not retire in Mexico, visit Mexico, or invest in Mexico.
We will never return and are willing to give up what is ours just to be safe."
http://www.mexicovacationawareness.com/mexicostory.html

Interesting except my name is Robert N. Estes and as I have posted on this board before ,I am in the book where I live. I also have my email posted and have communicated with many on this board through same email.
Shark and you have both accused me of being this Mr. Pierce in recent days and it is laughable at best.
Whats next,Baja gringo accusing me of being Nancy Conroy of newspaper fame.
Get a life .:lol::lol::lol:

The advice I am about to give you is worth what you are paying for it.
cabobaja
Nomad

Mood: Smiling

[*] posted on 9-1-2008 at 04:41 PM

Sr. 99, overall your posts are negative at best. I posted earlier that the best way to respond to you is....not at all! Ignore YOU! Guess I did not follow my own advice. But, assure you from now on I will ignore you.

Hey Buck, go for it! Wish I could fly with you. Give my saludos to Juan & Shari..............have a great flight!!!
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2008 at 06:20 PM

What insurors provide coverage for flights into Mexico to land on dirt strips with paying passengers? Do all you guys just "wing it?". Are you not "Carriers?" if you advertise you will trade space for money for gas?

I'm thinkin' Floyd's of London. Seems to me the self-respect level of those guys in cars hangin around the border with signs that say "I don't have gas money for my car. Please, stranger, serial killer, pay half the gas, I'll take you." are very suspect. So what does that tell us about Capt. Mike and others who can't seem to move off their home runway without money from strangers.

Very strange in deed. Most Nomads make sure they have gas money, beer money and get along very well without playing Mr. Taxi.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2008 at 07:35 PM
Grover is spot-on

What Fishbuck is doing is how we, in private aviation, operate.

Not sure why all the hecklers in the grandstand on this one,
it is the norm in General Aviation, and we all enjoy doing it.

And, I happen to know that he has between 400 and 500 hours of piloting in his log, and anyone past 80 or 100 would not longer be considered a "rookie."

As to the insurance, I flew my 172 Cutlass often into Mexico in the "good old days" and always informed my carrier, and had no problem,

Not sure where all this heat is coming from....
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-1-2008 at 08:01 PM

These are all very valid questions and statements.
Skeets, I would love to fly with you as well as Capn Mike.
If anyone is interestd I have at least 50 Baja flying hours. I respect Skeets alot. Accident Inestigators know alot about what goes wrong and really are the guys who decide who gets to fly what and where.
My joke is that it's not the FAA who let's pilots fly it's the insurance company. A smart pilot reads as many accident reports as he can. As Skeets stated before, there is alot of pilot error. Really dumb stuff too in alot of crashes.
2 of the planes I used to fly got wrecked by other pilots. 1 was embarassing and the other fatal. Both pilot stupidity.
I have flown to many Baja locations including Loreto several times. Many dirt runways. All in PA32's. The same type of aircraft I will fly on most future trips to Baja.
It is 100% legal to share expenses for private aircraft trips. In fact it is the only way that I can do a trip like this. These planes are expensive to fly. But it's a great deal all around and really is alot of fun. You will experience Baja in a way that only the privileged would normally do it.
So we would be sharing more than just the expense. We would share a once in a lifetime adventure.

I have 1 confirmed share expense person. I need two more. The trip is to B. Asuncion. The date is open.

LET'S FLY!!!

Edited for spelling errors. I was cooking my Dorado as I was posting. The best fish I have ever eaten!
Except maybe the Calico Bass I shared with mi Bonita at Jardines last Saturday night.
But until you have enjoyed the sushi prepared by Shari in B. Asuncion you have not really eaten fresh sushi.
Jaun and I will be catching it for you just a few hours before she prepares it. We might even let you catch a fish or two.;D

[Edited on 9-2-2008 by fishbuck]

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2008 at 08:41 PM

Yes, Pierce does have a place on the east coast. That's known to a few folks in Mulege. Funny how a guy like Pierce knows everyone on a first name basis in Mulege yet he claims to have a place in Loreto.

I couldn't find your name "lookup" for Estes on that island. What was the name of that again?
Ok Pierce we'll call you Nancy if you prefer.:lol: Take yer pick of names, nobody believes what you say anyhoo.

Your signature says it all:

"There are days that I do not get along with some people. Todays not your day.
Tomorrows not looking good for you as well."

Fishbuck, what a nice thing to do. Wish I could play.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-1-2008 at 08:55 PM

Share Exspense passenger: "WHAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT INSTRUMENT IN THE PLANE?"

Share Expense pilot: "THE HOBBS METER!" ( Clock that measures engine run time and is used to bill rental cost ).

"NO BUCKS, NO BUCK ROGERS" Some pilot dude.

:lol:

Coatlallope
Banned

[*] posted on 9-1-2008 at 09:16 PM

As I was reading through this thread, a number of things people said caught my eye as just being downright BS. First of all for Skeeter, who said he had more than 2,000 hours flying in Mexico. That was really interesting. Even in an old and slow taildragger that does 100MPH, that adds up to over 200,000 miles -- just in Mexico. That's a lot of miles, too many to possibly be true. Over the 40-years you claim to have been flying, you would have to have done about 5 roundtrips per year. Every year for 40 years. So, I took the liberty of looking you up. You signed a lot of your posts "Skeeter Haggerton". The FAA pilot database only has one Haggerton who is 77. Unfortunately, the FAA says you do not have a current medical, as you say you do. The last one you had was issued in the year 2000. You also only have a single-engine land license. No IFR, no commerical ratings, no instructors ratings. 6,000 hours on a private ASEL rating? The last straw is that you say you have been flying in Baja since 1967. The FAA says they didn't give you a license until 1972.

As for the next guy, Grover. He referenced a link to an operation which he said had a Part 135 license (air taxi). The website says it is a Mexican corporation. Mexican corporations don't have Part 135 certificates. Can't even get one. For one thing, a Part 135 operator has to use only US registered aircraft, and a foreign corporation cannot own a US registered aircraft. Oh and airlines do not operate under part 91. Part 91 are the general operating and flignt rules. Airlines operate mainly under Part 121.

The other part about a private pilot sharing expenses was just about correct, as long as you are operating in US airspace. Has anybody checked what the Mexican Aviation Regulations say about a private pilot collecting money from his passengers for their share of the operating costs for operating in Mexico? The FAR's do not apply in Mexico. It just so happens that Mexico is a signatory to the ICAO, so it recognizes your US pilot's license as valid, as well as your US airworthiness certificate for the aircraft.

As for Fishbuck, to be legal to go to Mexico and pay your instructor to sit with you, which makes it a commerical flight, you need a written permit five days in advance of the flight from DF. And yes, I know nobody does it.

Osprey seemed to be closer to the truth about you guys.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2008 at 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Coatlallope
As I was reading through this thread, a number of things people said caught my eye as just being downright BS. First of all for Skeeter, who said he had more than 2,000 hours flying in Mexico. That was really interesting. Even in an old and slow taildragger that does 100MPH, that adds up to over 200,000 miles -- just in Mexico. That's a lot of miles, too many to possibly be true. Over the 40-years you claim to have been flying, you would have to have done about 5 roundtrips per year. Every year for 40 years. So, I took the liberty of looking you up. You signed a lot of your posts "Skeeter Haggerton". The FAA pilot database only has one Haggerton who is 77. Unfortunately, the FAA says you do not have a current medical, as you say you do. The last one you had was issued in the year 2000. You also only have a single-engine land license. No IFR, no commerical ratings, no instructors ratings. 6,000 hours on a private ASEL rating? The last straw is that you say you have been flying in Baja since 1967. The FAA says they didn't give you a license until 1972.

As for the next guy, Grover. He referenced a link to an operation which he said had a Part 135 license (air taxi). The website says it is a Mexican corporation. Mexican corporations don't have Part 135 certificates. Can't even get one. For one thing, a Part 135 operator has to use only US registered aircraft, and a foreign corporation cannot own a US registered aircraft. Oh and airlines do not operate under part 91. Part 91 are the general operating and flignt rules. Airlines operate mainly under Part 121.

The other part about a private pilot sharing expenses was just about correct, as long as you are operating in US airspace. Has anybody checked what the Mexican Aviation Regulations say about a private pilot collecting money from his passengers for their share of the operating costs for operating in Mexico? The FAR's do not apply in Mexico. It just so happens that Mexico is a signatory to the ICAO, so it recognizes your US pilot's license as valid, as well as your US airworthiness certificate for the aircraft.

As for Fishbuck, to be legal to go to Mexico and pay your instructor to sit with you, which makes it a commerical flight, you need a written permit five days in advance of the flight from DF. And yes, I know nobody does it.

So..... Skeet is full of BS.
What else is new ?? :lol:

And Fishbuck is doing fine; just assumed not to know what he is doing, again. :no: :lol:

You guys are too much !!

[Edited on 9-2-2008 by Diver]
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-1-2008 at 09:25 PM

Ya, well you can turn me in if you want to. I'm still doing it.
But thanks for all the useless information. My guess is that no one in Mexico would care about it much.
I caught the Part 91 thing too but I didn't really care that much about it.
And please don't pick on Skeets. I like Skeets.:yes:

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2008 at 09:25 PM
Call the FAA- turn me in, pronto

Quote:
Originally posted by Coatlallope

Early on, some of my most fun instruction was paying my CFI to sit alongside whilst we went to Serinadad, to San Felipe, to Guaymas....
YIKES!!!
We were, likely, breaking international law.
Guess when this gets vetted I will never be able to run for Vice President....
Alas................
Coatlallope
Banned

[*] posted on 9-1-2008 at 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
We were, likely, breaking international law.

Well, it sounds like you were only breaking Mexican law. And we already know there are no Mexican laws that are actually enforced on any kind of consistent basis.
;-D
What troubles me is that people who are here supposedly to help and advise people on Mexico are just staring into your baby blue eyes and lying. Like, WTF?
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.