Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: High Speed Internet Access
BritishGirl

[*] posted on 6-8-2004 at 10:20 PM
I get DSL no probs in Punta Banda

I am lucky a neighbour of mine has DSL and has a router so like 6 people can use it in the neighbourhood and it is only $30 a month..bargain..better than L.A.:biggrin:
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Cablemas offers the fastest IT connection in Baja, far faster than Telnors, and cheaper, but you do have to be in an area where they offer their services.
Jesse,

So, is that cable access from a cable TV provider? Is that service only available to residential customers, or is it available (and at the same price) to business customers as well? Where do they have service?

Thanks,
--
Doug

They offer both residential and commercial service, and contrary to what some have said, Cablemas service is very reliable and consistent, i had Cablemas last year and it very rarely was out of service, something that constantly happened with Telnor.

My friend the lady who owns this cafe in Playas swears by it, she says its faster, cheaper, and very reliable, i agree with her 100%.

The only problem is that you do need to be in an area where they offer their cable service, currently thats tecate, tijuana, ensenada, and mexicali. heres their website:

http://www.cablemas.com.mx/

By the way, they are owned by the same company that own Telnor, Thats grupo Carso of Telmex fame.

muji

[*] posted on 6-10-2004 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaCactus
You can get High Speed Internet via ADSL on the major cities of Baja: Mexicali, Tijuana, Tecate, Ensenada, san Quint?n, Guerero Negro.. etc.

Add to that southern cities of La Paz, Los Barriles, Los Cabos. Anywhere gringos live en mass seems to have it. List of cities covered is here: http://www.prodigy.com.mx/infinitum_adsl/prod_infinitum_cobe...

Roger, the choices really depend on where you want to be located, as well as what type of work you want to do over the connection. I do remote work involving logging into other computers, and satellite just didn't cut it. I'm now in a location with DSL and it is world's apart.

If you haven't chosen a location yet: if you need any sort of fast response time, do lots of streaming (video etc), log into remote computers, need to upload anything more than text emails, or want VoIP phone service or the like, I recommend finding a spot that has DSL via Telmex. No comparison on speed and cheaper to boot.

If you already are in a given city: See if DSL is available. If not, satellite can definately work depending on the circumstances. If you have specific questions from a non-salesman (no offense intended, Bajabus), I've played with both Starband and DirecWay, so ask away.

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 6-10-2004 at 11:35 AM

Quote:
The only problem is that you do need to be in an area where they offer their cable service, currently thats tecate, tijuana, ensenada, and mexicali. heres their website:

So, if you're in an office building in Tijuana, they can hook you up, or it depends upon whether the building is wired for cable? And how much is it per month? I see from their site that basic cable service is 310 pesos/mo, but how much for the Internet service?

Thanks,
--
Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2004 at 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:

So, if you're in an office building in Tijuana, they can hook you up, or it depends upon whether the building is wired for cable? And how much is it per month? I see from their site that basic cable service is 310 pesos/mo, but how much for the Internet service?

Thanks,
--
Doug

They offer service pretty much in all the region, if they have a cable line going near your building, they will install the wires from the pole to your home or business, and basic cable service is like 28 bucks a month, unlimited.

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2004 at 06:25 PM

I have *band here in Baja (near Rosarito) and I have found it to be adequate for my needs. I bought the hardware off of Ebay for $175 and local installed it for about the same $$. I don't share my system but I know of some who run 10 PC's networked and share the cost.

Germanicus
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2004 at 02:06 PM

bajabus,
what does that mean > zeig hiel,,,, zeig hiel.
Does that has something to do with: Sieg Heil?????
Have fun!
Germanicus
sin nombre
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2004 at 07:09 PM

.... "Haben Sie RECHT", Germanicus. Zeig and Sieg are pronounced differently. Good call....
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.