Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: My Baja obsession
rogerj1
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2004 at 10:03 PM
My Baja obsession

I don't know what's come over me. I can't stop thinking about moving to Baja. No where in the US is appealing any more. I feel like Richard Dreyfuss in "Close Encounters". My wife and kids are nice enough people and all, but.....

I've been to Mexico before; a semester in Mazatlan, PV, San Blas, Guad, Merida, Cancun, Cozumel, even TJ and Rosarita. why this sudden obsession after a trip to Cabo? I didn't particularly like all the high rises in Cabo. I think part of it was staying at the "Bungalows breakfast Inn". What a wonderful place. I can't wait to get back down there. I want to drive down in my Jeep, alone, and spend several weeks roaming the whole of BCS. Has this happened to you before? What did you do about it?

[Edited on 5-8-2004 by rogerj1]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

lol.gif posted on 5-7-2004 at 10:09 PM
It's called 'Baja Fever'...

... and you are 'sick'!!! Welcome to the best treatment center for Baja Fever... The Baja Nomad Forums! (well, best other than going to Baja!)...:light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Kathleen

[*] posted on 5-8-2004 at 06:33 AM

Has this happened to you before? What did you do about it?>>>

I loaded up my little honda civic and my then 6 yr old son and spent two months exploring the baja.
And that was just the beginning.

Kathleen

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish,
ulterior motives; Be kind anyway.
Mother Teresa
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2004 at 03:27 PM
Kathleen

Seems you and I have alot in common, except my son was 7 (first solo trip) and I loaded up a T-Bird.....you know you have Baja Fever when you are willing to trash a nice 'sedan' like it once was...(she did carry us well and has earned her retirement) Santa brought me a 4Runner...can't wait!

To anyone that will be traveling south this summer, give a honk to a metalic green/gray rig, with Wa. State plates (several stickers...Viva Baja, Amigo's de Baja....Vag's and others, I'm not too hard to spot) I would love to share a cold Cervasa (hope you like Pacifico) with you.
Markitos
Nomad

Mood: let me check

[*] posted on 5-8-2004 at 06:28 PM

Ya know you'v got the bug when your willing to bus down to save money so you can stay longer .......
Im sick and it sure feels GOOD

All that wonder are not lost
Kathleen

[*] posted on 5-9-2004 at 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Debra
Seems you and I have alot in common, except my son was 7 (first solo trip) and I loaded up a T-Bird.....>>>

YEs we do have a lot in common. It is interesting... the last three years I have decided on my trips to Baja that I would explore things in more detail and spend longer times in places. I had spent too many times rushing down to mulege or San Jose del Cabo.
I wanted to start at the top and work my way down trip by trip.
Well, I have ended up not getting past Coyote Cal's because I spend so much time--
I went to guadalupe hot springs, spent time in mexicali, Tecate, the ranch for deaf children (I forgot the name) on the way from tecate to ensenada--have done volunteer work there and my son has become good friends with a doctor and his wife's two sons that stay there in the summer.
We have spent so much more time in Ensenada, puerto nuevo, Punta Banda and coyote Cals---camping, searching for the best inexpensive motels and places to eat etc.
I am also always exploring and searching for hot springs.
Hopefully in the next couple of years I can get further south.
Congrats on your new vehicle.
I have a 92 4X4 Mitsubishi montero--198,000 miles on it that I make my trips in now.
thinking about getting something new (at least new to me) next year.
Kathleen

Kathleen

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish,
ulterior motives; Be kind anyway.
Mother Teresa
sin nombre
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2004 at 07:25 AM

Baja IS a wonderful place to be and live, but it is not for everyone. May I gently suggest something? Before buying or building anything, find the area you want to settle in and live there first for awhile, say 6 months or so. Rent a house, or park a trailer there.....Sometimes our "love" for Baja fogs our vision of what living there is actually like.

Daydreaming about it, and vacationing there are very different than the day to day experience of living here. But if it's in your heart to do it, a trial period will only strengthen your feelings about it, not turn you off to it.

Bueno Suerte

[Edited on 5-9-2004 by sin nombre]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2004 at 09:30 AM

If you buy a home or palapa in Baja, wouldn't you just keep going to that place? With so much Baja to see and explore, I am not sure I could just stay in one place. The only exception might be to have a base camp from which to explore. For me, that would probably be L.A. Bay.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

sin nombre
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2004 at 10:47 AM

Moving to Baja, and exploring Baja are two different challenges. And your accomodations depend upon how comfortable one wants to be. A "base camp", will be something that will be left unattended for periods of time while one travels about. Would it be just a camp area? A house? Do you need electricity there? Is electricity already available there? Do you have to produce your own? How about water? Will you need to haul it? Do you want running water for faucets, sinks, toilets and showers? That requires 24 hours electricity, be it 12 volt or 110.... There is a whole laundry list of things you have to figure out first.... We thought our place would be a base camp too...yeah, well things change! It's nice to see new places, and travel, no doubt, but at least in our case, we love it right where we are.

That's why if you are considering MOVING to Baja, you should make sure it's what you have in mind.

Our rule of thumb is, "Don't invest anymore than you are willing to walk away from if the time comes."

Things are not as cut and dried here as they are up North. And from personal experience I can tell you that no matter how "solid" you think your relationship is with the person you rent from, when things hit the fan, you better have all your bases covered.

But I don't regret for a minute all the years I've spent here. I am very lucky...but my view of things when I first came here 15 years ago is much different now. It's been one huge life-lesson.

[Edited on 5-9-2004 by sin nombre]
rogerj1
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2004 at 02:30 PM
Part Time Baja living

I would be looking at living in Baja only part of the year. I'm 45 with school age kids. I'd anticipate spending more and more time down south as the kids got older. Realistically, I'd feel most comfortable in areas that provided the shopping, communication services, and support the larger communities have. A big part of the attraction of buying something is from an investment standpoint. I want to insure I don't get priced out of the market and not be able to afford being able to stay in the most beautiful parts of Baja.

[Edited on 5-9-2004 by rogerj1]
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2004 at 04:46 PM

There is no cure for the ailment that you have contracted. I have been to several doctors about my "baja Fever" symptoms and have not found any help. Visiting this board may provide temporary relief of symptoms but there is no cure.

After time I gave in to become a complete junkie and quit my job.

Dont be frustrated when people dont understand. And by the way, a drive in your jeep down the whole BCS will make your problem worse...

Buena Suerte

GTB
http://www.gonetobaja.com
Dee

[*] posted on 5-10-2004 at 05:13 PM
Baja Fever

I didn't know this illness had a name lol. I am new here (to this forum) but it feels like home. All these comments on how wonderful Baja is and of how much you all like going there and living there makes me feel quite proud of having been born there. I live near Los Angeles and don't get to drive down to Baja as often as I would like too (because of work). Lately though I've begun to feel that darn fever your talking about and have been seriously considering going back. I miss it very much sometimes. Well I just wanted to pop in and say hello and good luck to Roger1 in finding a place down there.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 5-10-2004 at 05:55 PM
my little piece of heaven....

pure trailer trash and proud of it!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2004 at 06:24 PM

Welcome Dee... you are among friends, who understand what you have!

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2004 at 03:38 AM

Good Morning Dee:
"Baja Fever" has been around a Long Time for this ole Boy!
I strongly suggest that you go to and stay in Baja Sur,South of the "Great Eagle" .Fewer people!
Easy access to both the Mar de Cortez and the Pacific Ocean and the Land in between.
I started with a Cessna 170B flying into all of the many Airstrips in Baja Sur, finally deciding in 1972 that Loreto{At that time met my needs with Good fishing,Good People,and few people}
Finally aquiring a 1968 Chevy 4wd, and at the opening of the Road pulled a small trailer up and down and Around.A Trailer allows you to move around a Base Camp, the 4wd Drive with a Camper allows overnite trips as you look for a Place to Stay fulltime.

Learn the Lanuage,meet and engage the Mexican People, you will have no trouble finding a Trustworthy Person. You should have no trouble locating a place to park and store the Trailer and Camper. Flying in and out of Loreto or La Paz.

When you decide that you might be ready to purchase a Lot or House,Stay away from "Ejidio" Property,contact an Attorney in La Paz and have the Title checked out before the Purchase,buy directly from the owner!

Good Luck!
Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"

Markitos
Nomad

Mood: let me check

[*] posted on 5-11-2004 at 06:28 AM

ARRRRG ....
My brother just called last night from La Paz. He's been sailing for a week around the islands. Just stoped back in town to grab some more camida and call me to rub it in...Then back out for another week.
And what do I get to do today? How about an hour on the ole i15 to start with then work and an hour on the ole i15 on the way back. Sheeeeeesh And I wonder why I love baja so much.
I'll finish with this job in two weeks. Then it'll be my turn!!! :lol: Work realy mess's up the Baja Fever thing !!

All that wonder are not lost
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2004 at 08:38 AM

For Baja Fever, take two rolled tacos, and a tequila shot in the morning. Look at photos of prior Baja trips and get out the map to plan your next trip. It's not a cure, however, as Baja fever is a chronic condition.
Dee

[*] posted on 5-11-2004 at 01:46 PM
Skeet/Loreto

Thanks for the welcome. Although I'm sure Baja Sur is preferred by most tourist I've never been there myself. Most of my family live in Mexicali and I've never had the urge to go past San Felipe. Maybe some day I'll keep on going south.

[Edited on 5-11-2004 by Dee]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2004 at 05:14 PM

Where ever the pavement ended (in the 1960's), that where the Baja adventure began! This would be near Colonet on the west and San Felipe on the east. So, Dee... get south of San Felipe ASAP! Shell Island, Nuevo Mazatlan, Gonzaga Bay, and all the interesting inland places are the closest to San Felipe favorite spots for me. For photos of the above mentioned ideas, see:

http://vivabaja.com/204

http://vivabaja.com/404

http://vivabaja.com/1102/page2.html and

http://vivabaja.com/1103

[Edited on 5-12-2004 by David K]

Dee

[*] posted on 5-12-2004 at 03:29 PM
Thanks DavidK

I guess I've no choice now but to drive a bit south then. The photos were great thanks for sharing.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.