Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Feeding the coyotes
Leanna

[*] posted on 5-10-2004 at 10:11 AM

Bottom line --

I don't think the majority of us here are saying to hurt or kill coyotes! But feeding them is just plain dumb, and is not at all helpful to these animals!

We live in the hills of southern Cali and coyotes are part of our lives..we respect them - but adhere to common sense -- if they are seen around your house, don't invite them over, i.e. don't leave pet food out! Don't keep water in your birdbaths! Don't allow your cats and dogs to roam freely at night! Heck our cat was attacked in daylight right outside our front door (luckily she escaped but not without injury!) It didn't make us want to go out and shoot them! It's not their fault! Just made us get smarter!

<>

Until the day comes when they can't. I only hope that you never have to see or hear one of your cats being ripped to shreds by a coyote..it is gruesome and extremely upsetting...
dbrooks
Junior Nomad

Mood: The shock treat

[*] posted on 5-10-2004 at 10:40 AM
I like coyote's...

DEAD ONES!

We had a coyote problem a few years back. After we shot a few and left their carcasses on the fence - the rest of them wised up.

Of course, if there is food to be had, they won't stop coming.

Listen folks, coyote's aren't exactly endangered...plug a few of them...
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2004 at 11:26 AM

Posters on this Thread!!

Is this not so much better than going to the Off-Topic!!

to me this is "What it is all About, People helping and sharing their Great and Bad Times while in Baja!

The sharing of this type information may someday save a Childs Life.

Keep up the Good Posts and helpful information.

SKeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2004 at 12:44 PM

Coyotes eat rats and pest's like that, if it wasnt for them the whole food chain would go crazy, they perform an invaluable service for us and for our lands, shooting them is like shooting ourselves in the foot.

dbrooks
Junior Nomad

Mood: The shock treat

[*] posted on 5-10-2004 at 04:11 PM
Now hold now...

I thought y'all were talkin' bout smugglers...we put a few of THEM on the fence...

I don't shoot the cute little four legged critters, less'n were extra hungry.
Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 5-10-2004 at 07:35 PM

Jesse, Like most liberals has forgotten that man is in the food chain too. So all you carnevores, stand up and be counted, for every one of the yotes ya plug, ya gotta get 10 times the number of vermin. If you eat em, all the better. Yote pelts used to fetch $25 each. Dang dem ***o's. Now we don't get nuttin. Happy BBQ.:fire:

[Edited on 5-11-2004 by BajaNomad]
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 5-10-2004 at 09:18 PM
A 'Tail' of the lost kitty...

I thought I saw a puddy-tat,
But it had disappeared in nothing flat.
Hauled away in dead of night,
By a crafty critter out of sight,
Whose shadow lurks to give us fright.:o

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
N2Baja
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2004 at 10:40 PM

You know, Me No, I was wondering if they were good to eat. Considering what they eat, it wasn't something I was going to persue. :barf: However, I did take a taxidermy class once. I could stuff them and put them around the campo in different poses. :P
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2004 at 06:42 AM

I'm thinking that the recent rains and the greening of Baja contributed to an explosion in the jackrabbit, cottontail and rodent population in that ecosystem. The predator population follows and feasts and booms. It will bust soon as drought conditions return and prey becomes scarce. In the betwixt sightings increase and brazen behavior driven by survival instincts started this thread.
In Baja this ebb and flow is still the norm whereas in surburbia artificial conditions have created an artificail predator population.
Don't feed em, don't poison 'em, shoot 'em if you want. I don't bring guns to Baja so I just throw rocks at 'em and talk to them.
sin nombre
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2004 at 06:56 AM

You talk to them, Don Jorge? Interesting you would say that,:

"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys."
---Chief Dan George

That quote came from another "Jorge"....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-11-2004 at 07:04 AM

Hi Don Jorge... missed you at the book signing gig... How's everything going at the farm?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2004 at 01:09 PM

By all means talk to animals,Tame and wild!!
Never tried to Eat a Coyote,but have consumed a lot of Possum,Coon,Rattlesnake,Squirell,Goat,!

For other types of wild Things, be Aware that there are many "Marine Bats" on the Islands and will come to Light as it gets to Dusk.They do look like a Vampire, but are a very good and Necessary{Not to Eat} for getting the Bad Bugs around your Campsite or Home.

there is a remedy to the Coyote if you have the Desire to rid the Buggers for all time sakes and keep them alive at the same time!
Catch them in a Cage,take a WireBrush and apply under his Tail, then apply a generous Portion of Tuppentine to the Brushed Area, open the door to the Cage and Let him Go!

Skeet/Loreto
"In God I Trust'

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5-11-2004 at 04:38 PM

Mohawk Creation Story:

It was all darkness and always had been.
There was nothing there forever.
Creation was a tiny seed awaiting a dream.

The dream came to be because of the cry.

A howling cry which was an echo in the emptiness of nothing.

The cry was very lonely and caused the dream to turn over in its sleep. The dream did not want to waken, but the crying would not stop.

Well, thought the dream, opening its mind, so now I am awake and there is something. The dream floated above itself and looked into its mind. I wanted to see what the cry was.

What it saw was a dream within its own dreaming. And that other dream was Creation.

And Creation was the cry seeking to begin something, but it didn't know what, and that is why it cried.

So the original dream lifted the Creation dream from its mind and set it free. Then it went to the other end of nothing and let itself go back to dreamless sleep.

Creation floated all over the nothing, dreaming of all the things it would do. Its dreaming was often interrupted by crying.

So, it wasn't me crying after all, Creation thought.

Then it thought again, but it is me because I dreamed it....so I have begun creation with a cry.

When I begin to create the universe, I must remember to give the cry a very special place.

Perhaps I'll call the cry Coyote.
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2004 at 06:00 PM
coyote dispersal

N2--Instead of a gun, you might consider buying a slingshot--one of the sturdy, industrial-strength models. My son has found this weapon very effective at dispersing a little herd of dogs that occasionally gathers to present a late-night concert at our La Paz street corner.

bajalera

[Edited on 5-12-2004 by bajalera]

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
DonC

[*] posted on 5-16-2004 at 09:29 AM

As to my coyote experience, I grew up in Joshua Tree, California, and now reside in rural Arizona, so I think my level of exposure to coyotes is adequate to make any comment I see fit. That said, I can sum up my feelings on the matter easily. Anyone who feeds coyotes is asking for trouble. Anyone who shoots a coyote merely for the crime of existing in his own habitat, is a jerk and more.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5-16-2004 at 12:10 PM

Exactly.
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2004 at 12:23 PM
Coyotes

Ditto. I was raised in the Santa Cruz Mrs. south of San Jose, and Coyotes were everywhere. As long as they left me alone, I left them alone.
N2Baja
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2004 at 04:12 PM

Wow, this is definitely an issue that evokes strong emotions. I appreciate everyone taking time to voice their opinion. I'm heading south sometime this week and I'm going to talk to my neighbor. I'll let you all know what happens when I get back.

I would like to respond to a few posts though.

Bajalera - Using a wrist-rocket is a great idea and I'd thought about doing that. However, I am a lousy shot with a wristrocket. If I used the bb gun (I'm actually a really good shot) then I know I'd only hit it in the rump, and not in the head.

Skeet/Loreto - You've made very good points in your posts. Especially "The Moral of this Thread seems to me to be the treatment of our neighbors" Which is very true. I am a bit confused about the wirebrush and turpentine though. You were kidding, right? :?:

Barry A. - I can't tell you how many times I've thought about drawing and quartering the neighbor! ;D

DonC - That's twice you've called me a jerk. Have you actually read the whole thread? I don't think so.

Thanks again to all!

:)
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2004 at 08:14 PM

I just like to read all of this stuff...

what I want to know is....uh....whos got the beer...?

Just kidding Im concerned about the coyotes too, I mean I hate those damn coyotes...yea only I think there kinda cool to watch and stuff but, Id kill the first one to prove to the rest that I mean business.

Yea cause I uh, well I dont know...

Who brought the beer?

I had a friend feed a coyote once and then had to chew his arm off when he woke up with her...

He said at around 1:45 her fur was lookin real shiny...

:smug:

GTB
sin nombre
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2004 at 08:14 AM

A few select comments from this board:

"Shoot 'em quick. They have no redeeming qualities. "

"I like coyote's...
DEAD ONES!
....Listen folks, coyote's aren't exactly endangered...plug a few of them..."

"...I did take a taxidermy class once. I could stuff them and put them around the campo in different poses..."

I feel as this man does:

"To us life, all life, is sacred. The State of South Dakota has pest control officers. They go up in a plane and shoot coyotes from the air. They keep track of their kills, put them all down in their little black books. The stockmen and the sheep-owners pay them. Coyotes eat mostly rodents, field mice and such. Only once in a while will they go after a stray lamb. They are our natural garbage men cleaning up the rotten and stinking things. They make good pets if you give them a chance. But their living could lose some man a few cents, and so the coyotes are killed from the air. They were here before the sheep, but they are in the way; you can't make a profit out of them. More and more animals are dying out.
The animals which the Great Spirit put here, they must go. The man-made animals are allowed to stay - at least until they are shipped out to be butchered. That terrible arrogance of the white man, making himself something more than God, more than nature, saying, "This animal must go; it brings no income, the space it occupies can be used in a better way. The only good coyote is a dead coyote." They are treating the coyotes almost as badly at they used to treat Indians."

John (Fire) Lame Deer
From "Lame Deer-Seeker of Visions"

[Edited on 5-17-2004 by sin nombre]

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.