Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: FM2 problems
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2004 at 09:53 AM
FM2 problems

I applied for my FM2 last February and have still not recieved it as yet! I had my FM3 for 15 years and decided to get my FM2 because after 5 years of having it you dont need to renew it. This has been nothing but problems because of how much I travel in Mexico. I have bought 8 tourist cards at TJ airport and when I fly back to TJ they take it back. The FM2 application cost me 3500 pesos. If you plan to get a FM2 plan on it taking at least 3 to 4 months to process it. Im leaving again to Mexico city next week so here I go again......My wife is Mexican, my son was born here and I had my FM3 for 15 years but I guess all that does not make a difference. 3 weeks ago when I came back from Managua I flew to Mexico City and all I did was fill out the form on the plane and stated I lived in US and showed my passport. That was enough, no need for tourist permit. Has anyone gone through this process before? Does it really take this long or are they just making sure Im worthy of living and spending alot of money in their country? I really dont understand.....

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2004 at 10:17 PM
FM2

I have a FM2. I've been tolde by imingration here that the FM3's are issued in the state that they are applied for ie: Mexicali for Baja California. The FM2 has to be sent to Mexico City for recording between the time you apply for it and when it is returned and issued. It always takes 4-6 months for this process. Imigration gave me a letter on their letterhead with appropriate stamps etc. stating that I had ben the holder of FM3 and had FM2 in process so I would not have trouble while traveling. The renewals take about the same length of time as the FM3 renewals. Their is a BIG difference between FM3 & FM2. The FM3 is a muliple entry Tourist permit. The FM2 is part of the immigration process. I have also been tolod by immigration that as I am immigrating to Mexico,l I can't be out of the country (Mexico) for more than 18 months in the 5 years of the FM2 or the process is voided.

Good luck with your process.:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2004 at 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
I applied for my FM2 last February and have still not recieved it as yet! I had my FM3 for 15 years and decided to get my FM2 because after 5 years of having it you dont need to renew it. This has been nothing but problems because of how much I travel in Mexico. I have bought 8 tourist cards at TJ airport and when I fly back to TJ they take it back. The FM2 application cost me 3500 pesos. If you plan to get a FM2 plan on it taking at least 3 to 4 months to process it. Im leaving again to Mexico city next week so here I go again......My wife is Mexican, my son was born here and I had my FM3 for 15 years but I guess all that does not make a difference. 3 weeks ago when I came back from Managua I flew to Mexico City and all I did was fill out the form on the plane and stated I lived in US and showed my passport. That was enough, no need for tourist permit. Has anyone gone through this process before? Does it really take this long or are they just making sure Im worthy of living and spending alot of money in their country? I really dont understand.....

Sounds like Mexican and American immigration share one thing in common, making the process of getting anything done a real pain in the a**.

dono
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2004 at 06:42 AM
FM2

why don't you just go for citizenship? I belive that 5 yrs with a fm3 is all you need. you apply through the forign relations dept. not through immigration
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 5-12-2004 at 09:50 AM
FM-2

We obtained our FM-2s last year to replace our FM-3s. It took about 60 days and was as easy as FM-3. We are now in the process of renewing and it sould only take about 2 weeks. The cost for renewel is 2245 pesos ( $204 US ). Fm-3s go on forever. In 4 years we will be done and receive residency papers. Works for us. Rob
viabaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2004 at 12:48 PM
FM2

Lizard,

The FM2 issue aside, you mentioned that you bought numerous tourist cards (8) at the TJ airport. I have a question - why didn't you just show your FM-3 which is stamped (I assume) with "entradas multiples" as mine is? Your FM-3 supercedes the FMT's. Just a question.

Viabaja
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 5-12-2004 at 02:40 PM

Just goes to show you what I don't know; I thought that if you have an FM2 or an FM3 and you obtain a FMT tourist permit, you have a delito to deal with at Immigration, and if you get caught, you best plan on getting chewed out with fines and all.

In the past, while Immigration had my "little green book" in their possession, and were taking their own sweet time processing my new status, I have written a formal letter soliciting a letter from them stating my present status and that they were processing my documents and used that along with a copy of my "book", showing current status when documents were required at airports. It has been a few years since I have had to deal with this, but seems I always had to pay Immigration over $100 DLLs. for this letter.

[Edited on 5-12-2004 by Eli]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.