Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Why cook a Marlin?
amir
Senior Nomad

Mood: chiropractic

[*] posted on 9-23-2008 at 12:26 AM
Why cook a Marlin?

Hola Nomad Cooks,

Why? Because A patient brought me a huge filet of Marlin today; it's in the fridge now and I guess it has to be cooked tomorrow before I will eat it.

What is YOUR favorite Marlin recipe?

Yhank you all in advance... :bounce::bounce::bounce::yes::yes::bounce::bounce::bounce:
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2008 at 06:52 AM

Soak it in olive oil.
I usually grate some lime rind on it then salt and pepper it.
If you have lemon pepper already mixed that works too
Grill until the flesh is flaky.

If you do not eat it today, boil it and give it to your dog.

Alex
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2008 at 09:37 AM

Smoke it and make a gobernador taco

riquisima guey
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-23-2008 at 10:34 AM

Smoking is the best way, otherwise cut into 1 inch chuncks, Marinade about an hour in teriaki and BQ.

[Edited on 9-23-2008 by comitan]

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Wiles
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2008 at 11:36 AM

Smoked marlin is excellent, almost as good as smoked wahoo.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-23-2008 at 12:05 PM

Why, indeed.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-23-2008 at 12:24 PM

Hook, :D "Why, indeed".:?:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-23-2008 at 03:35 PM

I'm what is termed a marlin-hugger.

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2008 at 04:10 PM

Hook. you devil.
I agree but by the time Amir got it, it was too late.

amir
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2008 at 04:38 PM
Indeed too late...

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy

Well, folks, good advice, good advice... THANK YOU!

Now, how do you get MY fillet of Marlin smoked? Just saying "smoke it" is incomplete and ambiguous.

The advice about cutting it in 1" chunks was great, too, but isn't there something missing in these instructions? Like, WHAT DO YOU DO WITH THE CHUNKS after you cut them?
And 1" in which dimension? This is a 3-dimensional fillet of Marlin. Manuel (the mason) fished it himself, and it couldn't be freshest, and he had it hanging between his fingers and he plopped it on my hands. Anyway, the chunks of my 3 dimensional fish would have 3 dimensions, like 1x2x3, or something like that, in the standard mathematical way to write dimensions of fish chunks.

Anyway, as I was saying, you are giving me GOOD advice, but c'mon, how about giving me ALL the secrets of the whole recipe, please?

And, lastly, no it was not too late. I've been hugging that chunk of fish meat since this morning trying to decipher your partial information. Geeeeezzzzzoooo, I thought you Nomads were more helpful...

:fire::fire::lol::lol::fire::fire::lol::lol::fire::fire: (the fire just to add a little heat to the recipe, sortof like chilis picantes :fire::fire::fire:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-23-2008 at 04:41 PM

ask your question at http://www.google.com and you'll have more recipes thatn you could read in a lifetime. let us know what you decided.

edit: http://

[Edited on 9-23-2008 by woody in ob]

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2008 at 05:04 PM

Cut the filet into 1 inch thick steaks like a pork loin.
Marinate in Teriaki and BBQ.
I like to place them on a very hot grill for a few minutes then flip them to another fresh hot spot on the grill.
After another few minutes, turn down the heat and cover until they are how you like them.
Do not overcook !

Also, unless you like them really rare on the inside, let the fish come to room temp before cooking.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2008 at 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by amir
Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy

Well, folks, good advice, good advice... THANK YOU!

Now, how do you get MY fillet of Marlin smoked? Just saying "smoke it" is incomplete and ambiguous.

The advice about cutting it in 1" chunks was great, too, but isn't there something missing in these instructions? Like, WHAT DO YOU DO WITH THE CHUNKS after you cut them?
And 1" in which dimension? This is a 3-dimensional fillet of Marlin. Manuel (the mason) fished it himself, and it couldn't be freshest, and he had it hanging between his fingers and he plopped it on my hands. Anyway, the chunks of my 3 dimensional fish would have 3 dimensions, like 1x2x3, or something like that, in the standard mathematical way to write dimensions of fish chunks.

Anyway, as I was saying, you are giving me GOOD advice, but c'mon, how about giving me ALL the secrets of the whole recipe, please?

And, lastly, no it was not too late. I've been hugging that chunk of fish meat since this morning trying to decipher your partial information. Geeeeezzzzzoooo, I thought you Nomads were more helpful...

:fire::fire::lol::lol::fire::fire::lol::lol::fire::fire: (the fire just to add a little heat to the recipe, sortof like chilis picantes :fire::fire::fire:

I guess you didnt like my complete recipe?

DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2008 at 03:11 PM

You can make a rudimentary smoker out of a large roasting pan. Soak a handful of wood chips in water for at least half an hour, put them in the bottom of the roaster, then put a rack in the pan, and put the fish on the rack. Put on a burner on the stove over low heat and when the wood starts smoking, cover the pan with a tight fitting cover or foil. Twenty minutes to a half hour should be enough to cook it through to the flake stage, depending on how hot your pan gets.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
amir
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2008 at 07:20 PM

Okay. The fillet is gone. It was fun trying different things with it. I knew I would get some direction if I asked Nomads. And not only I thank you, but also all those who shared on this Marlin feast, a couple of families across the street, the 7 feral cats that live around here, and some of the neighbors' dogs.
I forget to ask patients to bring me the fish already cooked. But some day, when our kitchen is set up and/or the outside parrilla is functioning, then we will cook all the fish we get...

Gracias Amigos!
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2008 at 07:23 PM

Ah the joys of hearing where a billfish ended up. :mad: Please don't promote useless game taking. Particularly for trade.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2008 at 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Hook, :D "Why, indeed".:?:

Hook has gone over to the dark side (San Carlos) and those boys will in no way kill a marlin. That's a good thing.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2008 at 08:45 PM

I saw marlin on the menu tonight (as a special) at a Missoula, Montana restaurant.

:rolleyes:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2008 at 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
I saw marlin on the menu tonight (as a special) at a Missoula, Montana restaurant.

:rolleyes:

Off topic---which restuarant in Missoula? Wish we were there right now----oldest son lives there.

Seems strange that they would have marlin up there.

Diane

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.