Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja rookie
calacowboy
Junior Nomad

Mood: wondering....

[*] posted on 5-11-2004 at 10:24 PM
Baja rookie

And I always thought "Baja fever" meant when the fishing was so good, you just had to go....

I grew up on the east coast (please don't hold that against me, lol) and have always gone on fishing and camping trips. About 22 years ago I moved to ca. and got my first taste of baja on a day trip to Ensenada, Rosarito, and Tijuana. I was kinda disappointed, but what did I know? I had heard all these stories of Magical Baja, and didn't see any thing special( you got to know how to look) Anyway, last month I decided to spend my son's (13 yrs old)spring break in San Felipe. I had heard it was a party town for the college crowd on spring break, but I wasn't going to let that stop me, I was determined to find a peaceful beach and just relax with a few cervezas. Well, how's that song go?.... ya can't always get what you want. Those darn ATV's are everywhere. As I found out, that's what alot of people go to San Felipe for. A couple of the locals on the beach(who took us out fishing, that's another story)told me to drive to Puertecitos. Well, I only made it to a campo at Laguna Percebu. Beautiful beach! Loved it. Spent the day there. My wife was hooked, as she wanted to buy a house that was for sale there. I had to remind her of our jobs and house in ca. ......Soooo we want to go camping for a week in July somewhere south of Ensenada, but not father than say, San Quintin. Any campos like Percebu? I know the Ocean side is different than the Sea of Cortez. Just looking for something to relax on the beach and maybe some bogie boarding?

Did I mention that I really enjoy reading about everyone's experience in Baja? So many different views. A real joy to read during lunch at work and plan to go to all these special places. Just not enough time...... Thanks for any information.
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2004 at 06:15 AM

the nicest beach along that coast is punta cabras and clam beach to the north. good waves and good fishing with a long sandy beach. foggy in the morning clearing by noon and can get hot in the late afternoon. take the road north from enrendira past gringo hill and youll see the bay. good luck:coolup:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-12-2004 at 07:01 AM

Hi Calacowboy, welcome aboard! Our kids are the same age so finding tings that entertain them is important, too. My kids both like camping at Gecko (Bahia de L.A.) whenever you are ready to go there. L.A. Bay is wonderfully beautiful and full of things to do and see.

I camped at Punta Cabras with 4baja, fishin'rich, and others a couple years ago. There are no facilities, just open camping. Here are photos: http://vivabaja.com/cabras IF you want to see other Baja places quickly, please use my index (at the bottom of my posts).

IF you would like a Pacific side camping place with some services, I recommend Gypsy's at Rancho Cielito Lindo, just south of San Quintin. Great beach, great food, secure camping, motel & bar nearby.

So, did you buy a place at Percebu?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

calacowboy
Junior Nomad

Mood: wondering....

[*] posted on 5-12-2004 at 10:00 AM

You know, I still think about that house in Percebu....right on the beach, first house as you are going north, $49,000. Just not right for me at this time. ....and the beach... perfect for tide pooling..... when the tide comes up, there is a sandbar that forms a little bay..... warm water that simmers in the sun.

I have been to a few beaches in the USA...Key west...southern ca. ...cape cod...south NJ.......oregon coast....maui, (not bragging, just love the beach and always go when I can) but none of those have left a lasting impression as Percebu does. Just a simple beach, small bar and cantina, no big hotels, white sand in all directions....no crowds.....pure

Thank guys for your suggestions, I will check it out.
dbrooks
Junior Nomad

Mood: The shock treat

[*] posted on 5-12-2004 at 10:46 AM
Punta Cabras...

I have also been to Punta Cabras many times (who hasn't), and can say that it is a very good spot. One thing that I always maker sure to do is camp ON the sand - can't stand dirt camping.

Make sure you check the tide charts - you don't want to be caught against the cliffs at night during high tide...makes for a long night.

DB
San Diego

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.