Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Steve Fossett Found
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2008 at 12:32 PM

No doubt caught in a downdraft in a very underpowered airplane unsuited for mountain flying. (Bellanca Decathalon) Since he was a very experienced glider pilot he may have been playing in the thermals and got more than he bargained for. As for remains- probably not much left after impact and the bears took care of the rest. Anyway. we can speculate.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-2-2008 at 12:44 PM

Perhaps the reason the plane crashed so hard with such an expirienced pilot at the controls was that no pilot was at the controls. Maybe he bailed out and is living far away....wearing a parachute in this type plane is common, even required under certain circumstances. The fact that his personal belongings were found quite a way from the accident site and the aparent un-survivable nature of the crash could support this theory.....dt
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2008 at 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Perhaps the reason the plane crashed so hard with such an expirienced pilot at the controls was that no pilot was at the controls. Maybe he bailed out and is living far away....wearing a parachute in this type plane is common, even required under certain circumstances. The fact that his personal belongings were found quite a way from the accident site and the aparent un-survivable nature of the crash could support this theory.....dt

Thats a possibility. But think about bailing out of an airplane and wondering where it will finally crash. Maybe in downtown Mammoth Lakes, or Fresno, or in a tree somewhere relatively intact with everyone wondering where the pilot is. That one would be hard to explain.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2008 at 01:45 PM

This is a very interesting Case.

The Crawford Lumber People crashed in Canada above Williams Lake. They were found 3 years later and some of their bones were found in the Area.
A very large Man Crashed his Cherokee 6 into the Ground South of Avenal Calif., There was still Rancid meat in Parts of the Aircraft one years later. The salvage People tried to wash out all the Debris with little Success.

Since this incident I have been concerened that Fossett did not go in his intended or Spoken Direction. Why???
He is a Pilot who should have no trouble with a "Wave Condition" or Rotor Zone.

It would be interesting if they come up with any Debris in this Wreckage>

Wait at time with patientence. Let the rest of the Facts come in.

Skeet
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-2-2008 at 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot

Thats a possibility. But think about bailing out of an airplane and wondering where it will finally crash. Maybe in downtown Mammoth Lakes, or Fresno, or in a tree somewhere relatively intact with everyone wondering where the pilot is. That one would be hard to explain.

I've parachuted out of a small plane but never as the pilot so I can't be certain but if you provide me with a Decathelon and enough incentive (I don't know what would incentivise a guy like him) I could probably trim it to crash in a 1 mile radius after bailing out. He would only need a couple thousand feet AGL to do it.

This doesn't represent my theory of what happened, just trying to make it interesting....dt
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-2-2008 at 02:26 PM

i am with DT on this one if no DNA is found.
set up an accelerated stall climb attitude at full power. step out and push off, leaving throttle wide open. stall spin ensues and at full power it rapidly corkscrews in.
might have to rig a bungee so controls don't neutralize and void the spin but that would leave evidence. full power would get it to strike with full effect.

a rotor wave in that small and light a plane on the lee ward side would eat his lunch.
before he knew what was happening.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Shark18
Banned

[*] posted on 10-2-2008 at 02:37 PM

Come on guys. Get real. Fossett was a gazillionaire. He didn't need to fake his death so his wife could collect insurance. By the way, every life insurance policy I ever had had a specific exclusion for death while operating a private aircraft. It is a standard exclusion. Nobody is going to write a life insurance policy for $30 million on a guy who flies balloons and experimental aircraft.

He died in the crash. Or else he died in the plane and then it crashed.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-2-2008 at 02:40 PM

Additional photos from LA Times

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-fossett3-pg,0,478534...

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-2-2008 at 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Additional photos from LA Times

That site won't open up-----says it "has been changed".

BArry
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2008 at 02:49 PM

-----try this site:

cbuzzetti
Nomad

Mood: Lookin for a vacation

[*] posted on 10-2-2008 at 02:52 PM

I don't know anything about the construction of this plane but I do know about racecars. A Nascar vehicle weighs in at 3,600 lbs. Most of that is the chassis and running gear. The roll bar tubing is at least 1.75" with .095 wall thickness. If you ever get a good look at one you will understand why they cannot build an airplane like a race car. It would never get off the ground. Too heavy.

BajaBuzz
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2008 at 02:59 PM

Like others, I think he was trying to "catch the Sierra wave" and screwed up. Animals hauled off his body, down to where the "stuff" was found. We will learn more later, I am betting.

Pretty strange for an "experienced" pilot, tho.

Barry
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2008 at 03:08 PM

Very strange for a very experienced pilot..........

and

Very large insurance policy

no body found...............yet

supposedly had a home in Mammoth? (heard this last night maybe a rumor)

Ken
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-2-2008 at 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Very strange for a very experienced pilot..........

and

Very large insurance policy

no body found...............yet

supposedly had a home in Mammoth? (heard this last night maybe a rumor)

Ken

is this baja related? take it to OT :lol::lol: :P :lol:

what's the fascination with this plane crash? it was cloudy or partly cloudy day, t-storms in the area, he was probably out for an aimless fly-about, screwing around and flew into a cloud and slammed into a mountain. not much more exciting or worthy of talk than a car crash, imho.

admitedly, the minarets and sierra top are a very pretty place to fly around, but i've only done it on nice days - you wouldn't catch me flying about there at low altidude in a t-storm.

[Edited on 10-2-2008 by mtgoat666]
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2008 at 03:33 PM

Goat,

Easy, if you don't get it, don't read it!:P:lol::tumble::spingrin::yes::biggrin:

ps Did you get assigned to the Topic Police today?:smug:

Ken

[Edited on 10-2-2008 by tripledigitken]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-2-2008 at 04:03 PM

Quote:
Goat,

Ken

I woke up this morning and thought I was DK :lol: Whoa! that was some bad nightmare
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2008 at 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Goat,

Ken

I woke up this morning and thought I was DK :lol: Whoa! that was some bad nightmare

What's all this got to do with "Steve Fossett"?
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2008 at 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Goat,

Ken

What's all this got to do with "Steve Fossett"?

Go back 3 posts, unless you were trying to be humorous then..:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ken
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-2-2008 at 04:55 PM
Update

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26976119/?GT1=43001

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 10-2-2008 at 05:12 PM

It looks like he flew into a mountain top at full speed. They debris field is at 9700 feet. The scraped some human remains from the crash site.
There are a couple of big mountains in baja but you'd have to try to hit them.
I flew with a guy in a Cherokee 6 once out of Puertocitos going to San Quintin. The terrain rises pretty quick and he tried to fly in a straight line across it. I wasn't sure if we would clear it or be too close to the summit because it was exceeding the rate of climb of the plane.
I pointed out a valley and asked him to fly around the mountain instead. It made more sense because we really didn't need to climb that high anyway.
Okay now it's about Baja!;D

[Edited on 10-3-2008 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.