Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Looking for weekend retreat from Los Angeles
mirko
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2004 at 11:52 AM
Looking for weekend retreat from Los Angeles

I am looking for a weekend retreat. I live in Orange County, CA. Thinking of the Tijuana/Rosarito/Ensenada area. maybe a mobil home or fifth wheel in a trailer park. Any suggestions? I'm open but ignorant at this time.

Thanks,

Mirko
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2004 at 10:58 AM
Forget the mobile home. And go farther south

Just my personal opinion. For the money you put into the m/h, you can catch AeroCalifornia's yearly half off sale and buy a couple of tickets to fly down to southern Baja where the real beauty is. Fly into Cabo or La Paz, whatever's cheapest, spend a week , rent a car, and get a taste of what real heaven is like.

If you parse out the money you'll spend on the m/h, maintenance, gas and maintenance for the truck to pull it, park rental, etc.. against the actual time you'll be using it, you'll also find that just to go to Rosarito, you're better off going to a hotel or renting a condo. In my book, buying in just brings hassles and limits the amount of freedom you have to change or modify weekend plans because you're tied down to one option. And in the long run, costs more to boot. - Stephanie

When the goin' gets tough, the wierd turn pro
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2004 at 07:43 PM

try Meling Ranch, on the way up to observatory in the Sierra San Pedro Martir.easy to get toyet isolated and peaceful.good people and good food!you want to contact Duane Meling.Unfortunately I don't have her info handy.
Markitos
Nomad

Mood: let me check

[*] posted on 5-18-2004 at 05:57 AM

Aero California has a fly and stay deal untill June 30th round trip to La Paz and 3 nights stay at a nice hotel(dont know the name ) But once your there you can use your 3 days stay and then find some where eles to stay. Hotel Pension is cheep and clean. Flights leave from LA or TJ and it's around 300.00 I just use the flight then pawn the hotel room off . I think Hotel Pension is about 14 bucks a night but they are super cool and will work with you.
I'll be picking up some tickets tommrow and heading down sunday for a quikie.

All that wonder are not lost
Markitos
Nomad

Mood: let me check

[*] posted on 5-18-2004 at 05:59 AM

O yea then you can rent a scooter to head out to the beachs and stuff.
We have taken those little babies all over the place!!!!

All that wonder are not lost
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2004 at 06:02 AM
Weekend Retreat

We have a place right on the beach south of Rosarito that we rent out. If you are interested, I will post more info.
Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 5-18-2004 at 06:49 AM
pyramid resort.

You might try Pyramid Resort. Check out www.pyramidresort.com. It's a beautiful place right on the ocean, k:yes:
Lindalou
Senior Nomad

puzzled.gif posted on 5-18-2004 at 06:15 PM

I think Mirko is looking for an every weekend retreat, not just once or twice a year. So he probably doesn't want to spend the $300 to fly further in with:light:

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 5-18-2004 at 09:26 PM

Mirko,
You would be well served to talk to JR in Rosarito or Keri a little south at the Pyramid resort. Put your toe in and test the water. A lot of people believe that Baja does not start until you get past Ensenada. Unfortunately, that is totally false. Further south is fun when you have the time to enjoy it but a weekend will not work even via jet.
Try what I call the circle. Wander down to Ensenada, catch the ocean scenes, eat some fantastic foods then head back north via the road through the Wine Country in Guadalupe Valley and return to the States by way of Tecate. There are no deserts in this area but it is truly peopled by wonderful peole who think that they live in Baja. As Jessie has said they make some of the finest wines in the world in the valley of Russian milk drinkers. You can even find a few old mines going back to the 1840's in the area.
The best thing, in my mind, is to take little bites and digest same before heading further south. If you get to Cabo you will find that it is more like a beach town in the LA area and that it represents nothing of the real Baja.
Whatever you do have a open mind and an open heart and you will enjoy.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2004 at 09:52 PM
Thank you Bernie

Keri and I have entirely different types of accomodations to offer. Personally, I recommend both. It just depends on what you are looking for.
Bernie as usual has the best idea. His circle trip will give you a wonderful time for sure.
It is all Baja and it starts at the U.S.-Mexico border. There is much to enjoy if you have an open mind. And it sounds like you appreciate humanity. Even Los Cabos can be tons of fun, although not quite the Baja we have known in the past.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2004 at 12:07 AM

Quote:

......... A lot of people believe that Baja does not start until you get past Ensenada.

Great advice, Bernie. If we didn't know better we might think that you have spent some time in Baja over the years.

;D

It's ALL good! :biggrin:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 5-19-2004 at 08:01 AM

Elgatoloco and his wife Barbara are two of the nicest people you will ever find on either side of the border. They have a home in Campo Lopez, just a skip south of Rosarito or a jog north of La Mison.
I wrote about this place in my first book because I believe it is one of the most beautiful place in all of Baja. When I first visited it you could get a dozen lobster burritos, fried in butter, for a buck or about 4 pesos. What a wonderful time.
AND they know ALL of the great eating spots in Tijuana and points south. Recommendations for food or wine contact this guy.

What David says about the lurkers out there is true come on in an contribute to our general knowledge of this wonderful land.

Viejo Si! But happy.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 5-20-2004 at 01:24 PM

I have to concur with Baja Bernie. You want something you can get to quick from OC. You might want to check out Rancho Reynoso, also. You can put your Mobile in there, and it is a fidieocomiso now, so you would be buying the lot. Also, Campo Reynoso has many places for sale, the last I heard the lease ran $200.00 per month, it might be more now.

You can pick up a double wide, used or new if you don't already have one. Ma Williams in Rosarito is a good source, and if you have the money, he will sell you a new Modular and do the entire setup for you. I'll look up their number if you are interested. They are really nice, have been doing business down here forever and very trustworthy.

Does anyone know what's happening with Campo Lopez? I love that spot, the last time we were there, it looked abandoned.

Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 5-22-2004 at 09:14 AM
How about?

Just south of Ensenada is one of my favorite places, Estero Beach. It is an all in one place, with Hotel on the bay, swimming pool,swim-up bar, RV(nice !) park,huge bay for fishing,swimming, watersports,great outside restaurant with live music day and nite and bike rentals,jetski rentals,etc.In my opinion, it is another one of those "most beautiful" spots in Baja Norte.:tumble:Oh yeah, there are several trailer rentals and many for sale already set up with cabanasattached,some even with boats!

[Edited on 5-22-2004 by Sallysouth]
mirko
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2004 at 12:49 AM

You guys are alot of help. How did you all know that I like to suck wine? I'm going to look into that Guadalupe circle you all talk about. Sounds like fun. I'm going to La Paz June 25th for 5 days. I enjoy those trips very much. I've decided I'm going to try to go to N. Baja a few times before I buy anything. from what you all are saying, I may never buy. I do like the variety of going to different places. By the way, fishing is important regarless of where I go.

Thanks.

Looking forward to more input.

Mirko
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2004 at 10:32 AM
If fishing is important

Now is the time. Especially in the La Paz are both north and south. You will be hooked!
iChile

[*] posted on 5-27-2004 at 03:39 PM
aero california deals

hey, first post here. i really like these forums, theyre so much fun. anyways...
Quote:

Aero California has a fly and stay deal untill June 30th round trip to La Paz and 3 nights stay at a nice hotel... Flights leave from LA or TJ and it's around 300.00 ...

where can i find the 'half off' specials for aero california? anywhere online ive been able to find reservations for aero california didnt have any specials or any prices near the quoted price. any help would be great.
thanks,
c
Bajasurf

[*] posted on 5-30-2004 at 04:04 PM
Campo Lopez

We had the house that was the farthest out on the point. I am talking the early 60's and ate many of those lobster tacos. We would come down from Hermosa Beach and at that time I was shaping surfboards for Hap Jacobs.
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 5-30-2004 at 04:13 PM

Damn Damn,
This guy is talking about the time I hit this place. A dozen Lobster Burritos for a buck.
See my story of this place in my first book, Mi Baja No Hurry No Worry. Fun place to be in the 60's

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.