Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Places 47 years ago: BAHIA de los ANGELES
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-17-2004 at 12:23 AM
Baja Places 47 years ago: BAHIA de los ANGELES

From the Lower California Guidebook, c1958 second edition:

BAHIA DE LOS ANGELES (Los Angeles Bay). Population 57. Climate: Pleasant in winter and spring; very hot in summer; rainfall practically nil. A beautiful harbor with shelter and anchorage for vessels of any size, directly across from Angel de la Guarda Island. The entrance to the bay is protected by a barrage of small islands, and there are three deep entrance channels. On the shore is a small fishing village with about 20 shacks, including a store. Gasoline is usually available. Drinking water comes from a spring above the village. There is a landing strip long enough for light planes. Some cabins with shower baths have been fitted by Antero Diaz, who also serves excellent meals for tourists. Fishing boats (skiffs with outboards) can be rented.

Fish of many kinds are caught in the quiet waters of the bay. The chief occupation of the inhabitants is the harpooning of giant sea turtles (caguamas), which are shipped by truck to Ensenada. The fishing season is from about April to September. Los Angeles Bay is a good starting place for hunting trips (deer and mountain sheep) in the nearby mountains.

The Jesuit Padre Consag visited and named Bahia de los Angeles in 1746 on his exploration trip of the upper Gulf and reported that there was a large rancheria of Indians on the shore who lived mostly on shellfish. When the mission of San Borja was founded (1762) the bay became an important supply point and visiting station, but not long afterward the Indians were moved inland to the mission. In the 1890's and later the port was used as a shipping point for the nearby mines of San Juan. The present settlement dates from about 1930.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2004 at 09:35 AM
Thanks

Thanks for the post David, this is the kind of stuff I come to sthis board for.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2004 at 06:28 PM

I have so many Baja books, and memories it is my pleasure to share.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2004 at 07:00 PM

57 people, that says it all, can you imagine the wildlife back then?

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5-17-2004 at 07:04 PM

Hey David,

Have you got or read the Nelson/Goldman book"Expeditions in Lower California"(I think...)? Great book about exploring the peninsula in 1910-1911---a rather incredible expedition written very well....Its my favorite Baja book, which I don't have copy of!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2004 at 07:40 PM

Is it 'Lower California and its Natural Resources' c1922 by E.W. Nelson ? That book is about horesback expedition in 1905-06. Gulick says it's the best geographical description of Baja California yet written! NO, I don't have it! I do have Arthur North's two books, however.

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2004 at 07:11 AM

Yes, that's it I think! I borrowed a copy about 12 years ago and read it......kind of like "Sea of Cortez" with a combination of adventure and science, without the philosophy. I'm gonna have to buy a copy somewhere.....pretty rare book though, I imagine. Have you ever been to that bookstore in Hollywood that sells all the Baja books---can't remember the owner's name or the store's name......geez, come to think of it I can't seem to remember ANYTHING these days!
Those days of beer and tequila are catching up with me!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2004 at 10:54 PM

Yes, Dawson's Book store! They published the Baja California Travel Series... wonderful... In 1984 I bought a new copy of Erle Stanley Gardner's 'Hovering Over Baja' there. Let's go! I'll drive to San Clemente and we can car pool on up?

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2004 at 11:05 PM

You got yourself a deal there!! I'll email when I can get a day and we'll figure it out.
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2004 at 05:11 PM
I found it!

I saw this thread go by and was busy and later when I looked for it I thought David had removed it for some reason. Then I realized I was looking on the Today?s Posts forum. Anyway?

A couple years back I was interested in putting together a history of Bahia de Los Angeles. I got as far as creating a list of chronological events of everything I could find in the area. Then I located an old newspaper article that discussed Antero Diaz and his life in the mines etc. Problem was that the article was in Spanish. No prob I thought as I speak some degree of Spanish (maybe 40%) but it was slow going and I put it aside until retirement. I figured that would make a nice project and be useful to a few of us. One day I was having some work done at Samuelito's tire shop and there were several older gentlemen seated at the back that I chatted with. One or two of them had lived most of their lives in the village. I asked if I could meet with them on our next trip and they agreed.

Waiting for that trip still.
burritomama
Junior Nomad

Mood: asi asi

[*] posted on 5-28-2004 at 10:49 PM

Great project Mike!

Write the book!

burritomamam here (Marla's friend who finally has enough time to check in again now that the semester is over - sigh)

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.