Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Bus from San Diego to mulege
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

question.gif posted on 10-26-2008 at 02:40 PM
Bus from San Diego to mulege

Nomads,
A friend wants to visit Mulege over Xmas/New Years. Flights from LAX to Loreto are rather expensive.

I have researched Google to death and have the basic San Diego-Tijuana connection info....and it seems ABC bus line is the key player for Baja.

What other bus lines operate and what basic other info can anyone provide?

She will likely be traveling just after Christmas (Dec 27th or so....and will be returning in about 7-10 days)

Thanks for any experienced info:saint:

Don't believe everything you think....
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2008 at 03:30 PM

I've taken the bus from Tijuana (and before that, San Diego) to Loreto.

I don't remember if it was ABC or Aguila, or if it makes any difference as they both operate from the same terminals have the same stops.

The bus I took was full, so you may want to research buying tickets or making reservations early.

There is a current thread about two buses colliding; they often operate them in a too fast and reckless manner so your friend may want to consider that.

Price was about 900 pesos, similar to whet the new low-cost airlines charge TJ to La Paz. Seats were comfortable, and they showed cheesy movies, some in English, like The Dukes of Hazard, so I would recommend an iPod. :biggrin:
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2008 at 04:22 PM

Aguila has wider more comfortable seats and is the same price as ABC. Tell your friend to take a blanket, they keep the buses cold enough to hang meat.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-26-2008 at 05:08 PM

We take the bus alot...around this time the buses will be very full. It's easier to take the night bus and sort of sleep and get to Mulege in the morning unless you want to see the scenery...then you have to leave early in the morning from the TJ bus terminal. Too bad your visitor couldnt score a ride with a Nomad...more fun.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Bajajack
Banned

[*] posted on 10-26-2008 at 08:26 PM
Take the plane or you

will regret the trip, that is unless you enjoy sitting in the middle of 50 peasants competing with each other on who can pass the most gas during the trip.:lol:

\"take what you can, give nothing back!\"

We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.\'

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

We can have no \"50-50\" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all.

Theodore Roosevelt
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 10-26-2008 at 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajajack
will regret the trip, that is unless you enjoy sitting in the middle of 50 peasants competing with each other on who can pass the most gas during the trip.:lol:

Unless you want to hang out with people like Bajajack.. I suggest buying a ticket on a "Primero" or first class bus. Even if you wind up on a second class bus; remember, at least Mexico is full of first class people.

Second class is ok for shorter trips and can be real fun. But tends to stop more often and is less comfortable. There is no better way to get to know Mexico than to travel like the locals (first or second class) instead of in some fancy air conditioned SUV.

All buses are usually very full during the holidays.. (Cristmas/New Years/Easter) so try to buy the ticket in advance if you can.. I know https://www.ticketbus.com.mx works on the mainland to buy in advance; but, you will have to resort to other methods for Baja. (Since I don't think ticketbus sells tickets for Baja) Maybe a Nomad in TJ could get them for you?

Prepare to put your main bag under the bus and have a small daypack up with your seat. Bring a warm sweater for the A/C, some snacks, a book, and ipod.

Riding a bus can be a great time.. just don't grab a seat in the back few rows.. otherwise the bathroom will begin to smell after a while. I prefer a seat in the middle on the passenger side. You can usually pick your seat at time of purchase. The modern buses in Mexico are very comfortable and make Greyhound look like 3rd class.

I've had some great times riding a bus and have met some great people. Unlike what some may "think". In reality - bankers, grandmothers, businessmen, and "normal" people ride the bus in Mexico.
Bajajack
Banned

[*] posted on 10-26-2008 at 10:23 PM
Well Mango, sounds like

you enjoy gettin down & dirty on the ole buses, quite the expert on where to sit even.

Problem is most Americans that can afford to go to baja wouldn't
agree.

We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.\'

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

We can have no \"50-50\" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all.

Theodore Roosevelt
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 10-27-2008 at 12:28 AM

Quote:
you enjoy gettin down & dirty on the ole buses, quite the expert on where to sit even.

Problem is most Americans that can afford to go to baja wouldn't
agree.

I really don't care if you agree or not. I do care if you call average Mexican's gas passing "peasants".

Someone asked for advice and you gave slander. I'm not trying to give advice to "most Americans." I'm trying to give advice to someone who is not afraid to interact with Mexican culture, may be open to the option of traveling by bus, and had inquired about it.

Yes, I do know quite a bit about Mexican buses. The first time I went to Mexico I traveled for a month on $700. I've traveled to about every state and every major city in Mexico by bus over a period many years. So, I feel fairly qualified to give advice regarding travel via bus.

I'm sorry if you don't agree.. but someone asked for advice.. not slander or nonsensical opinion.

backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2008 at 06:46 AM

Ignore the racists that think of Mexicans as peasants. Your friend will enjoy the bus trip and save a lot of cash. Just follow some of the tips given here by experienced bus travlers and enjoy.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2008 at 07:52 AM

peasants????? whats wrong with your culture that you feel there is something "wrong "with being a peasant?
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2008 at 08:03 AM

My most common mode of transportation in Baja over the last 10 years is the bus. I am unaware of a 'first class bus' versus a regular one... perhaps this is something available on the mainland?

Yep, the bus is cold - the blanket idea is not a bad one for the long haul, and the movies leave something to be desired unless you really love cartoons or World War II vampire flicks.

The advice is correct regarding don't plan to use the bus bathroom. 'nuff said on that topic.

My experience has been that the seats are comfy - far roomier than those on U.S. commercial airline flights unless we're talking first class. I have a disability which makes long-term sitting uncomfortable and I feel much better after 1/2 day on the bus than a couple of hours on a plane.

Far as Mexican farts... I find they smell about the same as American farts. Haven't yet done a study country by country.:lol: But I do have a pretty good smeller and I find the smell factor about the same as on a U.S. commercial plane flight.

Tell your friend to go for it, Ged. It's a good adventure and relaxing way to travel. And tell 'em to open the window shades, plan to enjoy the view - you get a really wonderful view with those high wide windows.

Nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2008 at 08:17 AM

I noticed, sitting in the depot in Tijuana watching dozens of buses come and go, that a few were a bit run-down looking. Those were the Greyhound buses from the US. :biggrin:

I think anyone expecting some kind of third world adventure on the Baja buses would be disappointed. Just a modern, comfortable bus with pretty regular Mexican folks, not one of which had a live goat or chicken with them.:lol:

My one big complaint it that they often drive too fast, as I've posted elsewhere.

Recent Horizon/Alaska flights to Loreto have often cost just over $400 one way. If that trend in prices continues, I'll be taking the bus again.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 10-27-2008 at 08:19 AM
The Bus

Back in September I took the ABC bus from Mulege to Tijuana.

It was scheduled to leave at 6:30 and I only had to wait until 7:30 for it to show up. (I figured I saved lots of dinero by missing an hour at Jungle Jims cantina.)

I was assigned a seat next to a window, which I liked. There are 2 seats side by side.. Cushy seats much like an airliner...reclining with armrests too. Per advice from those had gone before me, I had brought my own down pillow and fleece blanket. (The AC works very well...brrrr)

I took my seat with the seat next to me stayed empty for some time.

The bus began it's journey north...and the 2 nice Mexican ladies directly behind me talked of things of the day. Nice idle chatter of nothing and everything.

The coach was about half full to start, but quickly filled as we drove north. Remember, this was September in Baja and it was hotter than the Gates of Hell...yet the AC was so cold I was elated I had my warm fleece blanket and pillow with me.

We made the regular stops at Sta. Rosalia..dropping off a few, picking up more...and roared off up the Baja Road. The driver was very skillful and there was no quick braking or swaying in the turns.

We rolled on..the senoras behind me talking about one of the son's and his new wife...at least from what I overheard...but then it MAY have been a daughter and the lazy hombre who talked her into marriage.

The whole trip from Mulege to Tijuana was going to take 16 hours and it cost me $1100 pesos. I was traveling fairly light and only had my laptop w/case and one small bag...plus my pillow and bedroll.

I am tall..about 6'2" ...and sport a 'couple' extra pounds... and had stretched out onto the adjoining empty seat a bit to accommodate my frame. It was quite comfy. Until the next stop when a youngish senorita came aboard, walked down the aisle looking at her stub and the numbers above the seat pairs. She had the aisle seat next to me. I hastily moved my laptop elsewhere and motioned her to sit, which she did.

The bus rumbled on into the night...it was now about 11 pm. One of the movies we had already watched was Daffy Duck destroys Godzilla and The Giant Moth..I think. A classic for sure. The senorita next to me had now pulled most of my warm fleece blanket over her...leaving me shivering into my pillow. The ladies behind were now discussing something about relatives in Guaymas.

I somehow managed to ram some metal seat lever into my rectum as I was squirming to ease my old back injury. That made me jolt back against the young lady next to me, who awoke thinking most likely that the Old Gringo was groping her. This got everyone's attention on the bus away from the Dracula movie and onto me...sigh. I managed to allay the senorita's fears and offered her my soft down pillow to go with the warm fleece blanket.

The ladies behind were now talking about me.

The bus stops at the El Rosario bus stop and cafe in the middle of the night...quite a few people get off to have a snack or coffee. Looks very dark out there. Might even be some night fog. Not hungry or thirsty, I stayed put..as did the bundled-up sleeping senorita and the 2 ladies behind me. At least the talk had moved from me back to thier family issues.

We get underway after the 20 minute stop and then I realize I should have taken the bus stop's restroom opportunity. Ah, but this bus has a bathroom! But..shoot.. I had to wake the young lady to get past her. The blanket was firmly wrapped around her and she had a little problem getting free to let me by. The bus was now rocketing along at a pretty good clip, now taking some sharp turns, and I had to grab the overhead lockers to make my way aft...that's the rear, you know.

I knew I was getting closer to the bathroom because of the increasing smells wafting out of the blackness..whew. There were some green looking people sitting back there, and I thought.."These poor people are being punished for some reason. Why else would they be assigned seats next to this stinkpot?"

I open the door and squeeze inside..holding my breath...and somehow manage to shut the door behind me...had to slam it shut to make it latch. I had turned on the light, but quickly turned it off again...not a pretty sight, I can assure you. Luckily my business was to be done standing.

The bus was now really taking some sharp turns and the motion made me brace myself with both arms and hands outstretched to the narrow walls of the black dungeon..bathroom. Even braced as I was, I still got jostled a bit from side to side and then flung forward when the bus braked. I am fairly sure I had been making contact into the toilet and not the sink. I tried to listen to water sounds, but the ladies talking back in the coach interferred with my hearing ability, which is not good to start with in these noisy quarters.

I finished my business, zipping up, and turned to grasp the door latch...which was stuck.... and refused to open. Carumba! Now what the hell? I pushed and pulled and pounded, but nada..stuck..stuck in a stinking toilet and we're going to crash and I will be dead and covered with
..and then the door opens, thanks to a kind senor who I must have woke up with the pounding.

I weave my way back to the warmly-covered sleeping senorita who looks to be drooling into my pillow. The ladies are now talking about me again.Some other passengers are glaring at the ladies in a not-so-friendly way.

The night drags on as we slowly come off the mountains and race towards San Quentin, then make more fast miles towards Ensenada...almost dawn now. A brief stop, then on the tollroad towards Tijuana. Ladies go back to talking family..I feel like I know them all by now. Other busfolks nearby are not too happy with the gossipers.

We pull into the Tijuana bus terminal...about 16 hours after leaving Mulege..and me without a minute of sleep. Nor did the 2 ladies behind sleep. They were still talking. As the bus stopped and everything shut down, it got a little more quiet inside the bus..the lull just before everyone stands up and starts collecting baggage from the overheads and below the seats.

I stood up..turned around and faced the 2 ladies who were still chattering away. (I had learned a bit of slang some years back from my housekeeper, Carmen, who has a terrific sense of humor.) So standing facing the senoras, I made yapping motions with both hands..forefinger tapping thumb..and said with a grin, "Weedy, weedy, weedy." That brought laughs and clapping from the other passengers. The ladies were laughing a bit, too.

Carmen had told me that it meant ...'what people do when they gossip a lot.'

Ah..buses. Did I ever tell you about the time when my bus rolled and I was taken off the relief bus at gunpoint ...oh, I did?

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Bajajack
Banned

[*] posted on 10-27-2008 at 08:39 AM
Pompano your story says

it all. If you can stand riding a long distance in a stinky bus full of peasants, then go for it.

I suppose low standards are OK as long as you're in mexico.:rolleyes:

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Theodore Roosevelt
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 10-27-2008 at 08:50 AM

bajajack...huh? Your reading skills and compression of irony leave a lot to be desired if that is what you got out of my bus travel account. Now go pull some insect's wings off.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-27-2008 at 09:41 AM

Pompano,
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

What a great story !!!!

Blackjack,
YOU are the only fart smelling up this bus...why don't you get off (or is that what you are doing)?

I have traveled by all sorts of buses in Mexico and Central America
and consider them to be great sources of transportation, learning, and sometimes adventure. The A/C thing is sometimes welcomed, but is only a problem on the newer buses.

And YES, their newer buses make US and Canadian buses an embarrassment...:(

My friend is a hardy soul who regularly sails the coastal waters of BC by herself, has traveled in all sorts of conditions, and is not faint of heart. The idea of a ride with a Nomad occurred to me and I might still put that out here once her travel dates are confirmed (I am sure she would pay for the gas).

Thanks for the replies, folks.

Ged

Don't believe everything you think....
Bajajack
Banned

[*] posted on 10-27-2008 at 09:51 AM
If you're broke

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Pompano,
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

What a great story !!!!

Blackjack,
YOU are the only fart smelling up this bus...why don't you get off (or is that what you are doing)?

I have traveled by all sorts of buses in Mexico and Central America
and consider them to be great sources of transportation, learning, and sometimes adventure. The A/C thing is sometimes welcomed, but is only a problem on the newer buses.

And YES, their newer buses make US and Canadian buses an embarrassment...:(

My friend is a hardy soul who regularly sails the coastal waters of BC by herself, has traveled in all sorts of conditions, and is not faint of heart. The idea of a ride with a Nomad occurred to me and I might still put that out here once her travel dates are confirmed (I am sure she would pay for the gas).

Thanks for the replies, folks.

Ged
and riding the bus is all you can afford it's OK by me.:lol:

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Theodore Roosevelt
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-27-2008 at 10:07 AM

Quote:
it all. If you can stand riding a long distance in a stinky bus full of peasants, then go for it.

Bajajack,
Your elitist additude is silly -- if you ever rode a bus in Mexico, you would find all types of people on board.

You are probably a Joe Sixpack, the republican party version of a gringo xenophobic peasant alcoholic. Or are you going to tell us you are a Joe Champagne alcoholic?
BTW, I am Joe Wino :lol:
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2008 at 10:12 AM
Bajajack

Quote:
and riding the bus is all you can afford it's OK by me.:lol:

Many NOB residents leave vehicles at their homes in Baja and the bus provides a convienent means to get back to the US, or vice verse. Often it is not about money.

Your attitude is obviously all about money.

Have a nice day.

Ken
Bajajack
Banned

[*] posted on 10-27-2008 at 10:52 AM
Being an elitist does

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

Bajajack,
Your elitist additude is silly -- if you ever rode a bus in Mexico, you would find all types of people on board.

You are probably a Joe Sixpack, the republican party version of a gringo xenophobic peasant alcoholic. Or are you going to tell us you are a Joe Champagne alcoholic?
BTW, I am Joe Wino :lol:
have it's advantages, such as not riding in a stinky bus full of peasants.

:lol:

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Theodore Roosevelt
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.