BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: First Gray Whale sighting in Asuncion!!(by me anyway)
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-28-2008 at 09:19 AM
First Gray Whale sighting in Asuncion!!(by me anyway)

I was veryhappy to welcome fellow Nomad Zoe back home here yesterday...as we were relaxing out on our patio catching up on the local gossip....I saw a spout in front of our place.....Oh Man were we ever excited....this lovely whale splashed around a bit to make sure we saw him.

This may sound weird, but all of a sudden, I got this vision of a new whale observation deck on the front of our house at the point and nomads sitting out on it doing whale counts...while sipping cool house specials....hmmm...maybe a new project idea was born! Zoe and I had a great time fantasizing about this idea...some mini data collection projects...take turns on watch to see how many whales pass in a day, how many in the groups, breathing patterns etc...

It is very early to see a gray whale, but these early arrivals are usually animals that did not migrate all the way north but just stayed off the coast of the USA during the winter. Sometimes weak or sick animals dont make the migration and these guys make their way south sooner.
Anyway, it was a very exciting day for us. When I told Juan, he says....Oh I saw 3 a few days ago...jeez!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
jorgie
Nomad

Mood: on the road....again,again

[*] posted on 10-28-2008 at 09:48 AM

Hey Juan, .......the viewing will be done from atop the next building project.....you're safer at sea ....
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2008 at 10:09 AM

Yeah, our next project was to be a big water storage pila so I'm thinkin put it in front there and make the viewing platform, drinking deck kinda on top of that...really could use a good engineer Jorgie!!!

Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 10-28-2008 at 11:06 AM
Same Gray Whale??

Shari,

We saw our first Grey Whale of the year around the 15th of this month near the Ventura/LA county line.. he was solo and VERY FRIENDLY..he hung around our urchin boat for about an hour checking out the divers UP CLOSE.lots of spy hops and mini breaches..It's amazing how nimble he was in the kelp forest.one of the divers scratched the whale on the nose on his third encounter..on deck, it was the closest by far I have been to a Grey Whale other than in San Ignacio

My diver came up procaliming "I have touched the finger of the Lord!"..
How fast do they swim?? 12 days ago,could it have been the same little dude you saw??

Took some photos on the boat camera..will post if I ever get them.

TT.

Edit: Be careful building a drinking area that high off the ground...

[Edited on 10-28-2008 by Tomas Tierra]

[Edited on 10-28-2008 by Tomas Tierra]
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2008 at 11:14 AM

Shari, I'd like to be the first with a design idea:
OOPS! I forgot to shrink it.

[Edited on 10-28-2008 by Russ]

Whale Obsevation Station.jpg - 47kB
jorgie
Nomad

Mood: on the road....again,again

[*] posted on 10-28-2008 at 01:32 PM

Shari, Russ has designed the perfect structure except maybe the flag atop. I doubt if anyone will be able to beat the design........well done Russ ..
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2008 at 01:36 PM

Russ, is that a McDonald's sign on the left? :?:

Mean people suck!
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2008 at 03:53 PM

Couldn't find an "In and Out" with a view
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 10-28-2008 at 07:00 PM

Back in the mid 80s I worked at Laguna Nursery in Laguna Beach doing a lot of design work in the second story of their building which was about a half block from the beach...my drafting board faced out towards the ocean and I'll never forget the sight of seeing hundreds of Grey Whales on their journey north and south...one of these days I'd like to sit and do that in Baja!
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2008 at 08:28 PM

Whales usually swim around 5 knots...similar to sailboats....this guy wasnt in a real hurry so maybe it was him! Gee Russ, guess we will have to apply for a federal zone easement...I DO make pretty darn good snail burgers though.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.