BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Tallest waterfall in Baja?
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2004 at 09:06 AM
Tallest waterfall in Baja?

Instead of asking people to guess where this waterfall is, I'd like to know if anyone knows of a bigger one? It must have water flowing over it all year to qualify.
This waterfall is in Canyon de Medio, and very hard to get to. I have never looked into the pool at the base of this fall as I don't have the climbing skill. My best guess is that it is around a 60 feet drop, possibly more. This foto was taken early last Sept. I would love to be there for a "Nora" sized rainfall to see what it looks like. Note the 5 ft. tall boulder, opposite the waterfall, that has been tossed to the other side of the canyon.
burro bob
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2004 at 09:32 AM

My hunch would be that the only true year round falls would be located in the Sierra de La Laguna. - Stephanie

When the goin' gets tough, the wierd turn pro
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2004 at 10:03 AM
Other waterfalls

Great shot Rob - how many miles up canyon is it? I think you have the most knowledge of these Sierra San Pedro Matir east canyons from all of you explorations. What is the next highest you have seen? As all these canyons have year round water, I expect all but the very lowest falls would also be flowing yearround.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2004 at 10:09 AM
Waterfalls

There are actually quite a lot of year round cascadas in Baja but I haven't seen any taller than the one shown. That is a great picture and now, I will keep looking for taller ones.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5-18-2004 at 10:17 AM

The El Salto Falls on the Rio San Antonio are supposed to be big and have year round flow--Jack Swords knows a little more about this, including if I got the name right. This is a westerly flowing stream off the San Pedro Martir that eventually goes into the Rio Santo Domingo by San Quintin.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-18-2004 at 12:06 PM
Donde es "Canyon de Medio" ?

BB----I thought I knew the canyons of the San Pedro Martir, but you have me stumped on this one. I checked the "Almanac" atlas, and still cannot find "Canon de Medio". Can you be a little more specific? Beautiful shot, by the way. I cannot make out the 5 foot boulder that you refer to, tho.

There is a beautiful waterfall up in Canon Guadalupe (east face of the Sierra Juarez), but it certainly is not 60 feet tall, and may not flow 100% of the time. Also, Canada el Diablo (east face of Picacho del Diablo) has some spectacular water falls, I am told, but have not actually seen. Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-18-2004 at 06:05 PM

Hi Barry... you seem to be having a good time here on Nomad! :)

The Almanac doesn't list them all... the older/bigger Atlas lists some... But, John Robinson's 'Camping and Climbing in Baja' (La Siesta Press c1967) and Bruce Barber's new '...Of Sea and Sand' has them all. First spelling listed is off Robinson's map, second is Barber's, third is the Atlas, when different.

San Pedro Martir's Canyons, south of Diablo, starting at the east foot of Diablo mountain and going south:

PROVIDENCIA

TULARE

TELEDO

de MEDIO/ en MEDIO/ ENMEDIO

el OSO

el CAJON

BARROSA/ BARROSO

el RUBI

CARDONAL

AGUA CALIENTE

CARRIZO

VERENDA/ el BERRENDO

PARRAL

MATOMI

[Edited on 5-19-2004 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5-18-2004 at 06:29 PM

Wow, I better get busy exploring---I haven't even been to half of those! Thanks David. Any mention of the Rio San Antonio falls in your books?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2004 at 06:47 PM

San Antonio Falls are a series of cascades and shear drops, falling a total of 1,500 feet off the San Pedro Martir's western escarpment. The single largest fall is about 80 feet. During heavy rains the year-round waterfall takes on 'Yosemite-like grandeur' ... (above from Camping and Climbing in Baja by John Robinson, 1983 edition).

Graham Mackintosh hiked to the falls in 1996 and wrote about it... posted in his web site (not in his books): http://grahammackintosh.com/stories2.html He quotes from Robinson's book as well...

[Edited on 5-19-2004 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2004 at 08:23 PM
Cascadas en Baja

It doesn't list them all David and when there are heavy rains, ya wouldn't even believe how many and magnificent they can be. And there's a bunch!!
I'm here (Rosarito) for two weeks o menos. Got time for a pastrami ?
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2004 at 09:49 PM
Great Picture

Great shot of those falls jr

I have been "to the water" in all of those canyons David listed except Cardonal and Rubi. They were fenced off at the road so haven't gone in. As the summer wears on, you have to go farther west into the canyons to find the water but I always have. All but the Matomi drain into Valle Chico. Valle Chick drains underground down the Huatamote to the Sea of Cortez near Percebu. The Matomi drains directly into the sea of Cortez. Much of the water comes from the winter snows of which we have not had very much of the last few years. In 96/97 (I think) there was so much snow that Hghy 3 to Ensenada was closed because of it for 3 days.

Also, in the summer - July-Aug-Sep it rains almost every day in the Sierra. Often showers come on into the valley but rarely come east of the Sierra San Felipe. One 4th of July, I, my daughter and her husband and their children thought we were going to freeze when we got caught in the showers coming back from Chinalito. The kids had swam in the pila there to cool off and then we got hit with the cold rain. Wouldn't expect it to feel so cold but it does as the humidity is about 5% so evaporation really cools you.

Each of the canyons is different so there really is a lot to see on this side.

And even if you don't find water, you might find something else to admire.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2004 at 10:04 PM
Waterfalls

Thanks Lou. I am starting a waterfall section in my MSN Group http://groups.msn.com/TheBajasBestGuidesPhotoAlbum because of this thread started by Burro Bob. Thanks burro !
I travel regularly into the back country of Baja and have not really been interested in photos of waterfalls but caves and other things have been the priority.
I know of many that I have not visited but here are some examples of my laziness. This area is supposed to have some nice ones down below but I didn't check them out. Next time for sure.
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2004 at 12:32 PM

Darn, jrbaja your picture isn't showing on my puter, just an x.
Lou, this is the biggest single drop that I have found. It is about a 3 mile hike to get to a huge pool. It is bigger than any swiing pool at any hotel in San Felipe. Then you have to scramble up the side of a very steep loose rock slope to get to this view.
Maybe I should start a new thread for this, but I don't agree with your list David.
My names come from the ranchers that work out there. I have asked 4 different ranchers the names of the canyons. They all come up with the same names with minor variations. Starting the same place you did I have.
Provedincia
Toledo (not Teledo)
de Medio/ en Medio
Arenoso, shortened via Baja Norte slang to Oso by some.
A canyon with no name
Cajon
Barroso
el Rubi
la Gringa
Agua Caliente
I never asked them to name the canyons further south.
Now I am sure many of you are saying why is there a Canyon No Name just to the north of Cajon. It all depends on how you decide to count canyons. Do you count the mouths or do you count only those that have a watershed that that make it to the divide. In this case it is the watershed method. The canyon mouth just north of Cajon has no name because it does not drain to the divide. I don't care what your map says, it is wrong. The upper arm of Canyon Cajon clearly cuts off this drainage from the divide.
None of them ever called any canyon Tulare.
burro bob
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2004 at 12:57 PM
That's the difference

between actually going there and spending a little time with people that know of what they speak or getting the information out of inaccurate maps and guidebooks.
I travel regularly in all parts of Baja including mostly in the back country. I had the extreme good luck of having Herb join me on one of the trips and we found the "new" Baja Almanac to be so wrong in so many places I was shocked.
Same on most all of my trips into the back country. They just didn't bother to do their research and obviously didn't care. Down here it's called Huevones.
I love most all books about Baja but there are so many hurriedly put together, incomplete and inaccurate guides being thrown together these days for the almighty dollar for the Gringos.
I bet not one dime of all those brilliantly composed books go to the Mexican people.
Take no offense Don Bernie and the others who actually do help the Mexicans with their work. You know who you are and you have my utmost respect.
The rest is thrown together garbage that probably won't help in the least. Especially incorrect maps and guides.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 5-19-2004 at 04:50 PM
tall waterfall??

Does 13 guys standing at the edge of the cliff, after a long session of beer drinking, count for "tall waterfall"???
(look out below)

Baja Arrriba!!
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 5-21-2004 at 01:19 PM
Canyon Names

Burro bob said
>>>>Maybe I should start a new thread for this, but I don't agree with your list David.
My names come from the ranchers that work out there. I have asked 4 different ranchers the names of the canyons. They all come up with the same names with minor variations. Starting the same place you did I have.
Provedincia
Toledo (not Teledo)
de Medio/ en Medio
Arenoso, shortened via Baja Norte slang to Oso by some.
A canyon with no name
Cajon
Barroso
el Rubi
la Gringa
Agua Caliente <<<<

Well, Canyon names often change. But here is a list of name I got form my father, who had extensively traveled in the northern portion of Baja for many many years, before he passed away in 2000 (shortly after a trip to Baja, infact). I believe his first trip was in the 1920's with his dad (No wonder I've goe baja in my blood). His names also came from ranchers and possibly early Auto Club maps, as those ofter were the only maps available, before the Mexicam Gov. released the topo maps. He also led numerous Sierra Club trips into many of these canyons, back when the San Diego chapter went to Baja, and before they became a political group rather than a club of hikers and campers. So in the same order from north to south (with some of his notes):

Canyon del Diablo - Approx 1/2 mile from mouth of canyon is famous King's Bathtub - sometime full of sand (elev. 700m) always lots of water though. Must hike approx 2 miles overland to even get to mouth.

Provedencia - Good water, hard cross country drive to mouth. After mile or so becomes steep narrow and full of big rocks.

Teledo - Road is on north side of the mouth, petroglyphs on rock on north side near the mouth, nice pool and waterfall ~2 mile up canyon.

Tulare - not visited.

En Medio - Big canyon, nice for the first mile, then very steep. Bud Bernard says canyon has been used to climb Provedencia from the south.

Oso - Big Canyon, poor quality water low down, many big pools farther up, pines on the sides of the canyon.

El Cajon - Huge, south fork has trail to La Encantada. Position of south fork is utm: 6-60-100E, 34-15-600 N.

Algodon - Two small groves of palms on hillside, first palms south of the Sierra Juarez...look with binoculars, not worth the hike.

La Gringa - not visited.

Agua Caliente - Nice hot springs with a few palms 1.5 miles from mouth, many palms in all branches, old ag settlement almost gone.

Carrizo - Huge sand wash, very soft sand, palms in upper reaches.

Berrendo - Very soft sand, blue palms high on cliffs.

Parril (Paral) - beautiful area around rancho, often times there is a locked gate blocking access.

Matomi - Usually year round water at rancho, many palms and pools up canyon.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2004 at 01:27 PM
Now that's interesting !

Thanks Taco:light:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2004 at 01:35 PM
Here's another

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2004 at 03:56 PM
Not 'My' list

Unless you are meaning the list I posted... which is only compiled from three sources, albeit the best sources I have.

The worst source was the Mexican Topo... that is the least amount of canyon information as it appears in the Baja Atlas and Almanac. Neither book's were using American drawn maps, but used Mexico's topo maps... which explains why both jr and I saw so many mistakes in the same books.

In John Robinson's topo map he has them listed as:

PROVIDENCIA

TULARE

TELEDO

de MEDIO

El OSO

El CAJON

BARROSA

El RUBI

CARDONAL

AGUA CALIENTE

In Robinson's text he only describes El Cajon and Agua Caliente of the above listed canyons.

Bruce Barber's new book "...of Sand and Sand", has a ton of canyon details and he seems to have researched the names pretty well...

Bruce has details on:

PROVIDENCIA

TULARE (Bruce says this is a FALSE canyon)

TELEDO (misspelled Toledo on some maps, he says)

EN MEDIO (with 20 foot and 60 foot waterfalls)

OSO (an 'L' shaped canyon)

CAJON (the largest watershed in the San Pedro Martir, except for Matomi)

BARROSO (6 foot and 15 foot waterfalls)

AGUA CALIENTE (hot sulfur springs, cool mountain stream)

Local amigo Pepe Garcia was with Bruce on many of his research trips.

Note: I am sharing the information I have in my library, I am not an expert or pretending to be one (as someone implied). I have been in only two of the canyons in the above lists ... that hardly makes me an expert on them. I try and constantly learn more and that is why I am here... to learn, and share what I have.

[Edited on 5-21-2004 by David K]

RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 5-22-2004 at 05:11 AM
Tallest Waterfall in Baja...

I'm probably gonna wear it for this one.
Doug should institute a rule: No late night drinking and drawing allowed on BN. :spingrin:

[Edited on 5-22-2004 by RandyMac]

==============================================
Ole' Irish saying (Gaelic): 'Go neirigh an bothar leat, go mbeidh an gaoth choiche sa droim agat, is go mbeidh tu thuas ar neamh leath-uair roimh is eol don diabhal go bhuil tu marbh'.... OR 'May the road rise up to meet you, May the wind always be at your back, and May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead'

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.